Author Topic: Historical arena, just what is it?  (Read 547 times)

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
Historical arena, just what is it?
« on: February 05, 2001, 05:49:00 AM »
Does it mean RPS etc?

I'd like not to have a HA, but just an arena where one side flies LW, the other allies etc.

Sure, the plane changing squads would ahve a problem, but if this was initiated from the start, less so.

Fighting German planes just plain sucks if yer a Jerry.

------------------
Baron Claus "StSanta" Von Ribbentroppen
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"

"I don't necessarily agree with everything I think." - A. Eldritch

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.pink.at
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2001, 05:57:00 AM »
gawd santa wanna start another 100+ post thread ?

Look at the other topics and you'll see about 15 of these threads already.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2001, 06:54:00 AM »
What an HA Means To Me
by oboe

First, and most importantly to many, an HA puts an end to P-51 vs Spit and FW190 vs Me109.  The arena is divided into two countries instead of three; one gets the Axis planeset, the other the Allies.

Second, and particular time and place is chosen.  This may will limit the planeset further.  For example, if NW Europe in 1944
is chosen, no Japanese or Russian, or USN  planes will be enabled.

Third, a real life, accurate terrain is used.
No more fantasy terrain.

Finally, reduced icon settings should be used.  No more icons as a crutch to ID plane type at 5000 yds.  

In summary, the HA is a lot like a Sunday afternoon event, except that is left up and people come and go as they please.

I'm looking forward to it, but as I understand it we need more paying pilots, and probably an expanded planeset to make it worthwhile.

Offline Jochen

• Copper Member
      • http://www.jannousiainen.net
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2001, 07:22:00 AM »

I'm looking forward to it, but as I understand it we need more paying pilots, and probably an expanded planeset to make it worthwhile.

How fast customer base is going to expand in future? Slowly I say. WWIIOL will grab many hardcore pilots from both WB and AH and number of casual players too.

I think AH playerbase could actually get smaller after WWIIOL comes out and WBIII becomes reality near next christmas.

If player base need to grow significantly, we will never see HA. Which is fine with me, HA concept is dead because of WWIIOL.

Why would anyone fly in AH or WB historical arena with few pilots if he can fly in dedicated sim with historical sides and RPS and all alongside hundreds of other pilots?

------------------
jochen Gefechtsverband Kowalewski

Units: I. and II./KG 51, II. and III./KG 76, NSGr 1, NSGr 2, NSGr 20.
Planes: Do 17Z, Ju 87, Ju 88A, He 111H, Ar 234A, Me 410A, Me 262A, Fw 190F, Fw 190G.

Sieg oder bolsevismus!
jochen Gefechtsverband Kowalewski

Units: I. and II./KG 51, II. and III./KG 76, NSGr 1, NSGr 2, NSGr 20.
Planes: Do 17Z, Ju 87D, Ju 88A, He 111H, Ar 234A, Me 410A, Me 262A, Fw 190A, Fw 190F, Fw 190G.

Sieg oder bolsevismus!

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2001, 07:52:00 AM »
 I could care less right now if there was a HA or not. we don;t have the plane set. And we don't have and iconless environment )or if no icons somehting other than the billboard we do have)

But one solution to the squad/people hopping be a 72 hour time limit (minimum) on changing sides.

-Westy

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2001, 08:02:00 AM »
OK my 2 cents on a HA.

It would be neat to have a somewhat historical matchup between Axis and Allied aircraft but how do we deal with the following problems.

1.  There are currently squads that are not plane specific (like mine) where pilots fly combinations of Axis and Allied planes during missions.  When we go winging our standard is bring whatever plane you feel most comfortable in.  A HA means that some of us would be forced to fly planes we arent comfortable in or dont care for.

2.  There are also pilots which like to fly BOTH allied and axis aircraft.  I enjoy a quick trip in a Bf109 every once in a while as well as the JU88.  

Only way I can see this working is to have unlimited side switching so that we can switch back and forth as necessary.  Then this brings into play the whole reason for having a 12 hour side switching limit...cheaters and spys.

I like the idea, I just dont see how all these problems can be handled.

-Ding

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2001, 08:03:00 AM »

Originally posted by oboe:

First, and most importantly to many, an HA puts an end to P-51 vs Spit and FW190 vs Me109.  The arena is divided into two countries instead of three; one gets the Axis planeset, the other the Allies.

And no Chog vs Fw190, not N1K2 vs me109...

I love it  

For me the HA is that, an HISTORICAL arena. That means:

1-Icon range indicators increases/decreases in 0.1k yards between ranges of 1K-2K yards. No Range at all provided under 1K. Realistic gunnery will be the first product of this thing.

2-Friendly icons up to 6K. enemy Icons to 4K. Better SA required

3-No sector radar. Dot radar for planes over 1K feet in sectors with friendly bases and/or carriers

4-Rolling plane set.

5-Engine management, gun breakdowns because abuse, and REALISTIC buff gunnery.

6-historical maps, and planeset available on the applicable scenario.

lazs

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2001, 08:26:00 AM »
If I may quote myself....  "What is needed is an HA arena for the few who enjoy hiding from each other for hours
                    at a time." Lazs

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2001, 08:37:00 AM »
Get this trough all your heads now! HTC aint doing an HA _period_. Its not about player base or nuthin...

We aint getting it....

------------------
AH : Maniac
WB : -nr-1-
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

SwampRat

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2001, 09:14:00 AM »

Originally posted by oboe:

Finally, reduced icon settings should be used.  No more icons as a crutch to ID plane type at 5000 yds.  

I have to disagree with this.  While it's a good idea that carries alot of merit, I beleive Icons are necessary mostly based on the fact that what your seeing is on a computer screen.  Speaking from real-life experience (I spent a year as a Stinger ADA operator), I can identify a host of modern day aircraft with my own eye's, but on my computer screen it's an entirely differen't story.  Many people do not have 21" High Resolution Monitors and Icons level the field for those who are without the resources to obtain the ubber computer. It is my own opinion that the Icons and even radar have been modelled in such a way to
"simulate" real life happenings...with the exception of grid counters half a world away.

[This message has been edited by SwampRat (edited 02-05-2001).]

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2001, 09:44:00 AM »
"We aint getting it...."

Maniac, you're back??!!

-Westy

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2001, 09:48:00 AM »
Heard u the first time in that other thread.... Did i leave???

------------------
AH : Maniac
WB : -nr-1-
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2001, 10:05:00 AM »
Too true Laz too true.

Then it degenerates into a very low alt furball between the two closest airfields, with maybe 5 people flying "historical" missions and styles.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2001, 01:15:00 PM »
Hey guys, I was just wondering what the HA would mean, not suggesting it should be implemented.

I was unsure whether it meant RPS (which I disagree with) or just simply one country means one side of planes, i.e LW, Allies etc.

Hence the post  .

Duck, unfortunately, I doubt this one will reach the 100's  

------------------
Baron Claus "StSanta" Von Ribbentroppen
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"

"I don't necessarily agree with everything I think." - A. Eldritch

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2001, 04:39:00 PM »
No great desire for an HA on my behalf.  At most, 10% of pilots would fly in it at any one time.

Now in my timezone, we get somewhere between 20-30 on each evening.  So that would equate to 2-3 pilots in an HA.

I can arrange better than that for FREE in a private H2H arena.  Only thing I'd ask for is some way of the host forcing icon settings in H2H, e.g. friendly icons only.