Author Topic: I ran into a Hellcat Ace.  (Read 664 times)

Offline Apache

• Silver Member
I ran into a Hellcat Ace.
« on: March 11, 2002, 02:03:34 PM »
Admittedly, I'm not the best stick in AH, however, I can hold my own. I ran into a guy I know but haven't had the opportunity to fight co-alt, co-e. Usually he or I had a huge advantage and the outcome was par for the course.

But. This past weekend we met briefly. I'm flying a P51B for the first time in a while and spot an F6F at 11 oc nearly co-alt. I see him nose down for speed, so instead of diving in, I stay level & roll into him a little. He's climbing for my 6, so I kick rudder, turn & dive for him. I get a quick snap shot with a few hits but no damage, not on the Hellcat.

Well, here is where it got interesting. I haven't reviewed the film enough to get the manuvers down but he was on me in a heart beat. All legit manuvers. He hits me, so I nose down and extend (hehe) away to assess damage. Left flap and left gear. Not too bad, think I'll climb on back up and give it another go. Nope, he's got an F4U with him now, so better head on back home.

Silly F4U wanted me too bad and paid the price. The Hellcat simply flies right on by our field, looking for a fight. What the heck, I'll follow. I eventually see him again. He just wasted a friendly (4 in all if memory serves) but there is an N1K about to go for him. A warped sense of chivalry I know, but I'm not going to let the N1K shoot him down when he's low & slow. In I go!!

I knew this guy was good but had no idea he had it down that good.

Cavalear. Ya whupped me.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Re: I ran into a Hellcat Ace.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2002, 02:35:04 PM »
Originally posted by Apache
Admittedly, I'm not the best stick in AH, however, I can hold my own. I ran into a guy I know but haven't had the opportunity to fight co-alt, co-e. Usually he or I had a huge advantage and the outcome was par for the course.

But. This past weekend we met briefly. I'm flying a P51B for the first time in a while and spot an F6F at 11 oc nearly co-alt. I see him nose down for speed, so instead of diving in, I stay level & roll into him a little. He's climbing for my 6, so I kick rudder, turn & dive for him. I get a quick snap shot with a few hits but no damage, not on the Hellcat.

Well, here is where it got interesting. I haven't reviewed the film enough to get the manuvers down but he was on me in a heart beat. All legit manuvers. He hits me, so I nose down and extend (hehe) away to assess damage. Left flap and left gear. Not too bad, think I'll climb on back up and give it another go. Nope, he's got an F4U with him now, so better head on back home.

Silly F4U wanted me too bad and paid the price. The Hellcat simply flies right on by our field, looking for a fight. What the heck, I'll follow. I eventually see him again. He just wasted a friendly (4 in all if memory serves) but there is an N1K about to go for him. A warped sense of chivalry I know, but I'm not going to let the N1K shoot him down when he's low & slow. In I go!!

I knew this guy was good but had no idea he had it down that good.

Cavalear. Ya whupped me.

Cavalear is good alright! I've had three encounters with him, and he lead the series 2 to 1. He's killed my SpitIX and my Yak-9T. I got him with a Zeke. I can't recall any details.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2002, 02:41:11 PM »
Cav is one of the best fites in AH(IMHO)...If... you are lucky enough to find him alone in MA...Defintely the best F6F jock around...And the most fun of (almost) any plane or MA situation...
« Last Edit: March 12, 2002, 12:14:05 PM by SirLoin »
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline Gremlin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.webtreatz.com/tod/lognew.html
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2002, 03:11:51 PM »
Yup,

Cav is one mean dude.  Better leave it there. Don't want anyone resting on laurels:)

BTW I've been flying the hellcat a bit over the last few days and its one hell of a fiter.

Gremlin.

Offline Goth

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2002, 04:03:10 PM »
Cavalear is definitely a good stick. Have run into him in various birds from a spit to the corsair and to the hellcat. He always pushes me to the limits and I can almost assuredly bet he leads the series of fights between us. He is a well respected foe, and I would love to see a fight between him and the Mathman.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2002, 04:04:00 PM »
he was on me in a heart beat. All legit manuvers.
====
Just out of curiosity, what manoevers would you consider un-legit?
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Mathman

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2002, 04:12:09 PM »
Originally posted by Goth
I would love to see a fight between him and the Mathman.

I would like to see a fight between us too, but I know what the outcome would be.  I am sure he would kick my bellybutton all over the sky (I ain't that good, just gettin lucky).  I must admit though, it would be one fun fight.

-math

Offline Apache

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2002, 05:07:32 PM »
Originally posted by Yeager
he was on me in a heart beat. All legit manuvers.
====
Just out of curiosity, what manoevers would you consider un-legit?

I threw that in to keep the "he cheated" remarks out. In other words, he didn't warp, didn't magically appear on my 6. Legit may have been the inappropriate word.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2002, 05:10:28 PM by Apache »

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2002, 04:18:53 AM »
He is a damm good sitck and truly a sportsman !

Offline DarkglamJG52

• Copper Member
      • http://www.yonkis.com
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2002, 06:21:05 AM »
Cavalear it's really good with F6.  I had my best 1vs1 against him with 2 F6F, 2 moths ago. A duel of approximately 10 min at nightfall, very low speed's, SL. Unfortunately I don't have film of the figth.

Cavalear, you remember?

Greebo it's also an ace with the F6F.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2002, 10:03:36 AM »
Originally posted by DarkglamJG52
Cavalear it's really good with F6.  I had my best 1vs1 against him with 2 F6F, 2 moths ago. A duel of approximately 10 min at nightfall, very low speed's, SL. Unfortunately I don't have film of the figth.

Cavalear, you remember?

Greebo it's also an ace with the F6F.

I ran into Nath flying the F6F last night. He hasn't quite figured out how to fully exploit the Hellcat yet, but when he does, watch out, 'cause he's quite talented.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Mr Hanky

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2002, 11:04:56 AM »
I've only ran into Cavalear flying an F6F one time.  The engagement I really remember against him had him in a mossie.  That was a bit more of a challenge than I was expecting.  I really hate it when mossie pilots understand the capabilities of the plane.

As far as hellcats go... I'd give Mathman the nod as being the most fun to fight against.  What makes him fun is that he cannot stand to be shot down by another F6F.  I've never landed a sortie where I've shot him down.  Every time he re-ups and gets me before I manage to find my way home.  If he gets the first kill.. I do the same to him.  Its quite hilarious.  Of course is passed back and forth... but I always know he's typing it after he's replaned and started heading back my way... cause I'm doing the same thing after he gets me.

Offline Fariz

• Silver Member
      • http://9giap.warriormage.com
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2002, 11:53:10 AM »
Cav is good. Had a nice fight f6f vs yakU with him, took about 5 minutes of intense dogfighting, and every bit of my skill. I won, but only because YakU is a better god than f6f.

Fariz

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2002, 12:02:02 PM »
If you fly Knights, and you ever join any mission I post, theres ALWAYS a F6F flight in the mission (unless its a historical planeset, ala all Japanese, all British, etc.).  Cav ALWAYS leads that flight and Cav ALWAYS returns home.  I feel very fortunate to have two of the best behaved, best overall mannered pilots in AH, who also happen to be in a short list of "Best pilots" in AH, Swoop and Cav (and their both BLOODY BRITISH!) :)  I try to model myself of their behavior online, its tough, but these guys are true gentlemen.

Don't get Swoop started on Spitfires, I've yet seen anyone Ace him out yet in one.

To be honest, I cannot imagine being on another squad, the guys I fly with are just simply the best to be online with!  They're the only reason I haven't left AH for greener pastures! I'm sure others feel that way about their squadmates too. :)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2002, 12:07:35 PM by Ripsnort »

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2002, 12:12:22 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
>

"Don't get Swoop started on Spitfires, I've yet seen anyone Ace him out yet in one."

Oooo...Oooo...Get on over here Swoopy you damn dirty Ape!!!!
**JOKER'S JOKERS**