Author Topic: People are leaving the game  (Read 1493 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
People are leaving the game
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2002, 04:29:45 PM »
A USB modem would kill your frame rates.  Any USB based device that requires a steady stream of data will cause the CPU to be swamped.
A good external modem will probably increase your frame rates from the Winmodem you are using now.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline AmRaaM

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2002, 11:39:01 AM »
God I long for the good ol days when at 1am PST there wound be 4 rooks online and taking a base was just a matter of how fast you could get the goon there LOL> best was capturing the rearward base and just uppin tanks to the HQ and blinding them rooks also, then 2 of the 4 would get pissed and log off leaving 2 rooks to defend LOL   :D

Offline Ogun

• Copper Member
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2002, 11:57:55 PM »
Originally posted by kkierste
Ok, I'm replacing this...

AMD K6-2 300
196MB PC 133 RAM
32 MB GeForce 256 Based Elsa Erazor X with dedicated IRQ (11)
AOpen 56k PCI data-fax-voice
MB is AX59 PRO (AOpen) with Via Mvp chipset
SB Live! (Brand new)

with this

AMD xp 1800
256MB PC333 on a Gigabyte 7vrx KT333
XP home
nVidia GeForce2 Mx-400 64MB agp

Here come's the judge...

Will post results when I get system

And the system came, and it was good...
Framerates jumped 10 or so on old setup, and now (even before I get tweak happy) my new system runs at between 40-55 normally...

The Judge absolves AH of all responsibility and sentences Ogun to life in a Lanc. :rolleyes:

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2002, 01:10:53 AM »
Originally posted by Ogun
The Judge absolves AH of all responsibility and sentences Ogun to life in a Lanc. :rolleyes:
I take it you won't be joining the hordes who are leaving then?  :p  Glad you got it sorted out in the end... - hey, and what's wrong with Lancs?  ;)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline HeLLcAt

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/xiZm04
People with slow computers...read this
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2002, 08:23:45 PM »
I am currently running a PII 400MHZ myself...I have seen dramatic increases big time with FR. My average was around 30...After 1.09 patch 2 it has jumped to averaging about 50. I have a Hercules 3D Prophet II MX GeForce2MX 32 MB Video Card. I have updated drivers and have gotten a better internet connection if that would give me that much better FR. People with slow computers like mine, and im sure a lot others, just need to bite the bullet and try everything to make computer run faster.

~BlueiceJ~

Offline K-KEN

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2002, 12:29:34 PM »
Glad to see so many good ideas and hints.

Thought I might add a tidbit too.  Checking the performance tab on the WIN95 and 98 machines and making sure you are running 90% or so.  If yer not, close down everything except Systray and Explorer.  (Ctrl+Alt+Del).  I have also found as was previously mentioned, Instant Messenger is a hog as well as many Anti Virus products.

I am running WIN98 667 MHZ...256 MB PC133 RAM...GeForce2 32MB AGP.........SB16 old card....DSL and my FPS are solid at 45+ in 1024 x 768 16bit.  When I first built this machine, and in earlier versions, I started getting 100+ FPS at altitude, but 60+ to 70 in furballs, but I think the video card has lost some of it's virility with all the flying I do  :D   I could update the drivers, but if it ain't broke, I won't fix it-or even try.  I can live with it like this for a while.

K-KEN

http://www.cutthroats.com/

Offline mrsid2

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2002, 12:43:05 PM »
It's a total waste of money to swap Erazor X to a MX2 400.. They're identical in performance.

Offline sprint

• Copper Member
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2002, 07:51:40 PM »
K-Ken
Why dont you try and to a little O?C to both your CPU and video card ... just a little bit would help a lot.  Check this site out.

http://www.overclockers.com/

sprint