Author Topic: Get rid of auto 6-call  (Read 800 times)

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Get rid of auto 6-call
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2002, 02:15:56 PM »
Ok so... check six call is not "automatic" as yeager claims.  You have to punch it in every time.   Voice is "automatic" and lazy but it only works on those who understand english and are moronic or.... lonely (13 tas comes to mind) enough to have local voice turned on.   Some people, (13th comes to mind) who do not wish to actually fite their opponents and fly planes that are not good at such things would like to have warnings be less effective.

does that about sum it up?
lazs

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Get rid of auto 6-call
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2002, 03:02:53 PM »
All I want people to comprehend is that using the auto 6 call
is comparable to using a remote control to change stations on the tv.  Its a cheap, lazy, disingenuous but clever little feature.

I dont know how a person with a foreign language could not differentiate between me saying "kazooki, check yer high 6" and HTs voice saying "check 6" but Ill leave the trivial detail to those interested enough to debate it.

Having everyone plugged in and listening to range channel will eventually be the standard way in the arenas. The auto 6 call feature will fade from popular use.   There will be exceptions however, social misfits (like lazs) who think poorly of everyone but themselves (like lazs) will never truly adapt to the ever broadening communications avaliable in the game.  They will instead, hide in their little world and insist that no matter how many times they do the same thing over and over again, the results must somehow change.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline AKEagle+

• Copper Member
Get rid of auto 6-call
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2002, 03:31:30 PM »
I dont know how a person with a foreign language could not differentiate between me saying "kazooki, check yer high 6" and HTs voice saying "check 6" but Ill leave the trivial detail to those interested enough to debate it.

You would have to have a very low estimate of people who don't use American English as a first language to make that statement.

Americans tend to be monolingual.  Most of the rest of the world actually strives to be multi-lingual.  Anyone, including you (if you did not speak english), would quickly figure out what these canned check six calls meant.  They would ask their friends who speak english, or just figure it out by themselves.  Contrary to American myth, most non-Americans are quite intelligent.  Although anyone who reads this BBS BS would question wether Americans are very intelligent! LOL :)

Before you write me off as Euro scum, I was born in the USA.  I am a life member of the Disabled American Veterans, I receive a small pension for Vietnam War related injuries.  What sacrifice have you made for America?

Look outside the American box Yeager.  There is a great world full  of some pretty neat people out there.  Most of them do not speak english, yet have meaningful lives.

AKEagle+
« Last Edit: March 20, 2002, 04:13:41 PM by AKEagle+ »

Offline dedalu

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.dedalu.art.br
Get rid of auto 6-call
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2002, 03:35:47 PM »
But in radio, I can't pronounce "Check six Yager" :D

Offline Zippatuh

• Silver Member
Get rid of auto 6-call
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2002, 03:53:52 PM »
Wow, add me to the social misfits then.

I’m not paying $15 to listen to other peoples crap.  I have to do that enough at work.  I want to log in, get some air, kill something, and do it all in the serenity of my own noise.  Not someone else’s.

There’s also no need for me to verbally communicate to help someone either.  I drop in to clear 6’s all the time.  Actually listening to someone’s dribble might make me stop.  Silence is a virtue.

It would truly baffle me if there is not an update in the future that gives us the ability to turn AHV off or on as wanted.  If I don’t get any 6 calls because voice is off, so be it.  I only get them from a choice few anyway.

As for someone speaking a different language not being able to understand two different people saying the same thing.  Well, ever heard of dialect?  I worked on voice recognition software that had problems differentiating between a NY accent and an Alabama one and they were only saying one word.  But then again, I guess this is just trivial.

Yeager and J_A_B must have huge phone bills for all the talking they seem to want to do.  I always looked at AH as a way to vent and have some fun, not “get in touch”.  

Bunch of touchy feely pansies is what I say.

Zippatuh

Offline AKEagle+

• Copper Member
Get rid of auto 6-call
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2002, 04:29:06 PM »
Wow, add me to the social misfits then.

… I want to log in, get some air, kill something, and do it all in the serenity of my own noise….

There’s also no need for me to verbally communicate to help someone either. … Actually listening to someone’s dribble might make me stop. Silence is a virtue.

…  Bunch of touchy feely pansies is what I say.

Zapp, are we related? ;)

You are not far from Buddahood my friend. :)

Fly Bish much??? Hope so, I look forward to fighting with or against guys like you :)

Either for or against, on my 6 or my 12, it will be fun either way! :D

What I hate is whiney-woosy tiptoe-through-the-tulips-on-the-way-to-see-their-therapist types who think that the whole world is cheating if they get shot down, or a bogey manages to outmaneuver them.  :rolleyes:

AKEagle+
« Last Edit: March 20, 2002, 04:46:27 PM by AKEagle+ »

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Get rid of auto 6-call
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2002, 05:39:20 PM »
Ok then AKEagle....

Whats the difference between ME saying "check" 6 on range channel or a robotized HT saying...."check 6"?  And dont tell me a person who cant understand engrish can read it in the buffer and know the difference because if they can they will KNOW THE DIFFERENCE ANYWAY

ARGHHHH!!!!

Zip,

I believe we should have a permanent .squelch list as well as being able to turn off range channel and AHvoice altogether.
One benifit is that loner types can truly feel alone and outcast as they so heartedly desire.  Im all for self deprication :)

« Last Edit: March 20, 2002, 05:46:49 PM by Yeager »
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Get rid of auto 6-call
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2002, 05:47:16 PM »
Originally posted by Saintaw
I gather Sandman is FRENCH & he doesn't want us to hear his awfull accent on AHV :D

Go away or I will taunt you a second time, English kanigggut.

Never been to france... I hear they put mayonaisse on their fries and the Quarter Pounder with Cheese is called a "Royale with Cheese."

:D
sand

Offline AKEagle+

• Copper Member
Get rid of auto 6-call
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2002, 06:47:39 PM »
Whats the difference between ME saying "check" 6 on range channel or a robotized HT saying...."check 6"?

Yeager my friend, calm down, take a deep breath :)

I am going to presume that you are honestly wondering what I mean, so without being too pedantic, here goes.

The canned check 6 call is repetitive. "Check 6"  it always sounds the same, there are no Georgia, or New York or British accents to give it subtleties.  Just like achtung! if canned would always sound the same, and you would learn through any of several methods that it means "attention"  you may not learn or care that it is German, but you learn it's meaning.  Just like you learned all your English sounds, sound becomes meaning. That is the very heart of language.  You associate different sounds with different meanings.

Now you saying to a Japanese pilot,  "Sakura! Check 6, low 190!. "  He would be clueless.  Because I might say to him "Sakura! 190 at your low 6!" or "Sakura! Break right! NOW!"  The way you say Sakura, and the way I say Sakura, and the way HE says Sakura could be 3 different pronunciations.  My Japanese was poor when I was living in Japan and Okinawa, so imagine what it is like 30 years later :)

So, do we have a system that allows english speaking to have wingmen and Japanese not??

Relax, have a beer, and go kill something, you will feel better :)

You are after all, one darn fine pilot, enjoy the game :)

AKEagle+

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Get rid of auto 6-call
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2002, 07:05:46 PM »
SHIVER ME TIMBERS!

Lol  hehe

Im the most relaxed guy in the game, trust me :)

Your point is well articulated and understood.  

Just making sure (wink, wink)

Cheers

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
Get rid of auto 6-call
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2002, 08:10:32 PM »
Well, I might not to be able to use AHV because of owning a toejamty soundcard. On Yeager’s advice, it’s up for sale.

I paid like $200 for a SoundBlaster Platinum  to use as a medium to capture my guitar and have better gaming experience, but it seems to be inadequate. I’ll trade straight up for the Vertex, or Vortex, or whatever that soundcard is that makes him delve into WWII combat radio bliss.

Here’s the review.

(Only AH players that don’t want to use Ahvoice and chat with Yeager about Pony’s and bologna apply.)

The Sound Blaster Live! Platinum card is advertised as the top of the line Sound Blaster sound card.  At a price tag of $199 it is not a cheap upgrade.  The question then becomes is this card $200 better than my existing card?

The SBL Platinum comes bundled with an impressive amount of software.  The titles included with this card include the following: Mixman Studio, Sound Forge XP4.0, ViaVoice Special Edition, Creative Keytar, Creative Rythmania, Descent 3, Need for Speed 4, Thief: The Dark Project, Aliens Vs. Predators Demo, and a few more.  When looking down the list there are a few titles that stick out as throw ins for other cards you may buy.  Games like NFS 4 and Descent 3 are common finds with other manufacturers.  Overall I would rate the included software a 3.5 out of 5.  Although there is a great deal packaged with it, the gamers content does not stand out.

The next criteria for review is value.  At $200 for a sound card it would take alot to make this a good value.  The SBL Platinum does provide great environmental audio.  It also makes easy work of the digital processing.  Included with this card is a front drive bay controller that gives access to headphone and mic jacks, as well as midi connectors.  The quality of sound compared to the AWE64 Gold it was replacing is a bit better.  Going by this, the overall value of the card is rated at a 3 out of 5.

The third criteria is performance.  The SBL Platinum does a fantastic job at this.  Audio quality is superb, and the built in surround sound capability adds to performance.  You would be hard pressed to find a card that packs the same level of quality and performance at this price range (for a more detailed look at the specs on this card check out this link http://www.sblive.com/products/platinum/specs.html).  The rating for performance on this card is 5 out of 5.

The ease of install for this card is not as easy as most other sound cards.  The reason for this is the front dock controller that takes one of the pc's available drive bays.  This controller requires a data cable be run from it to the sound card.  It also requires a splice off of a power cable to connect power to the device.  Since the pc I was connecting this too has more cables in it then most, I wasn't to thrilled about having to add another.  Once I put the card and controller in, the rest was dummy proof.  The driver install consisted of powering up the machine and running the setup off of the provided cd.  The software did the rest.  One reboot later and the sound was ready to rock.  If it weren't for the controller this would be one of the easiest installs I've ever seen.  For this reason, I give it a 4.5 out of 5.

Finally, what does this card do for the overall gaming experience?  The main thing this brings to gaming is environmental sound.  If a game is designed for this, the sound in a game steps up to a whole new level.  It makes you feel as if you were standing at the same point as you are in the game and the sounds heard are as you would actually hear them.  Throw this in with different sound environment defaults you can use (i.e. stadium, hall, bathroom, etc...) and the sound is outstanding.  I tested this unit using Cambridge Soundworks FourPointSurround™ FPS2000 Digital speaker system.  These two units packaged together make for the ultimate in gaming sound.  Thundering bass, terrific surround sounds, and just a general ambience of actually being part of the game.  If you're looking to upgrade your audio I would highly suggest throwing the SBL Platinum with the FPS2000 (est. cost of $400).  Coming from an AWE64 Gold and JBL speakers with a subwoofer, I can honestly say this was a huge step forward.  I give this a 10 out of 10 for boost of gaming experience.

Total score for the Sound Blaster Live! Platinum - 26 out of 30

Email me with shipping cost quotes.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Get rid of auto 6-call
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2002, 08:31:35 PM »
I mushed out $45 for my vortexII last year and got some neato games bundled.  Never have had a problem with the damned thing.........

Srry creamster, shes a "keeper"

OTOH, being able to capture guitars sounds pretty cool.

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Get rid of auto 6-call
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2002, 08:54:14 PM »
Yeager, I'm sure you already know this, but you don't have to listen to HT's robotized voice calling out to you to check your 6. Mitsu made a couple of Japanese sound files, there's a bunch of German ones floating around too. One simple wav file to replace and you can have it say anything.

Mine is a wav file of Barney from the Simpsons going "Yoaaahhhh ", much less annoying. The fact that I can swap out the wav file for any other voice, noise or otherwise entertaining audio file makes the check6 a great feature.... for me.

You may like vox, but with AHvoice, half of the voices are muttled while the other half come through just fine. This isn't something I can fine tune either, cuz to hear the lower end of the spectrum means I have to be deafened by the higher end.

Oh, and I have an SB Live! Value/1024... It was definitely a value for me, absolutely free. Really great card too.
-SW

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Get rid of auto 6-call
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2002, 09:13:08 PM »
Whats the difference between ME saying "check" 6 on range channel or a robotized HT saying...."check 6"?
There isn't a difference.

...except that you seem to think one is cheating but the other isn't.

AKDejaVu

Offline WBHoncho

• Copper Member
Get rid of auto 6-call
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2002, 12:51:47 AM »
If you dont like it, rename or delete the sound file.  Or you could change your name to NevrChkMy6 or something.