Author Topic: Spit XIV and perks  (Read 985 times)

Offline mora

• Gold Member
Spit XIV and perks
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2002, 07:56:10 AM »
Originally posted by Zippatuh

With the exception of the Tempest, that baby is a monster and should be perked.  

Spit XIV does everything better than Tempest. edit: On a second thought maybe it's a bit more fragile and has lighter guns.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2002, 07:58:36 AM by mora »

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Spit XIV and perks
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2002, 08:10:46 AM »
It's a matter of opinion of course but... The plane set is now set so that late '42 to '44 planes have parity.   I fly a -1a which is right in the middle.   I can make life miserable for the very early war planes but in the "normal" mid war planeset I have a mediocre plane.   the later war planes are superior as are a lot of my contemporaries but it's not that bad.   Now add late war monsters...

"perk" planes... They are only tolerable because they are rare and stigmatized.   By stigmatized I mean that you are pointed out as the wussy cheat that you are while in one.   There are so few of em that people take great delight in ruining their day... They are even rewarded for it.   If the sky was full of em then they would not be singled out and.....  It would take away the stigma and make allow them the freedom to boom and zoom the lesser planes to death plus.... the more people flew em the more they would fly them properly.   Face it... they are not as high in even K/D as they would and should be simply because people can't get enough practice in em... Add practice and take away the stigma and persecusion and you will be seeing these "uber 51's" dominating the arena.  

And... Why give the better players a club to pound the lesser playhers with anyway?    Better that we have a few free perk plane days at the end of every tour.

Oh...I personally feel that the -1c should be no more expensive than the P51d or D9.
lazs

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Spit XIV and perks
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2002, 08:45:51 AM »
mora,

There is that whole "speed" thing that the Tempest does better than the Spitfire Mk XIV as well.  You know, the Tempest's 385mph against the 360mph of the Spitfire.

Sure, the Spitfire can do 448mph at 27,000ft, but as we both know, low altitude performance is much more important in AH.

The Tempest also has better high speed handling, hell, the Spitfire XIV can't even maintain level flight at 450kts indicated airspeed.  It rolls left no matter the trim or pilot, so said the Spit XIV pilot at the 2001 Con.

I don't know where the idea that the Spitfire Mk XIV is a Tempest on steroids came from, but a lot of people seem to think that and its wrong.

Laz,

What you say may be true in the arena that you'd build, but in an arena that has free P-51Ds, La-7s, Fw190D-9s and Bf109G-10s massively perked Tempests, F4U-4s, Ta-152H-1s and Spitfire Mk XIVs is silly.  They are only marginally better than the free rides.  They need to be controled, not eliminated.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline mora

• Gold Member
Spit XIV and perks
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2002, 09:23:16 AM »
Karnak, I know that it's slower than Tempest down low but it more than makes up for it with its rate of climb. I am not saying what it's perk value should be but I dont think it should be considerably lower than Tempest, which is way overpriced now. The prices you suggested sound good to me.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2002, 09:25:18 AM by mora »

Offline Orko

• Zinc Member
Spit XIV and perks
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2002, 09:40:39 AM »
All this thread, all problems, arguments and all frustations related with this thread and many more would be solved by simply eliminating the silly perk system of AH.

Bring a RPS to AH!!!!. The RPS is the fairest and democratic way to play, and undoubtely the most historically the MA can achieve.
AH have already a hangar that allows this in some way. A few more early war planes have to be added, but with the later inclusion of 109E, Spit I and Hurri I the stable is almost ready for it.

I know HT, "hates" the RPS as it is the game of the "comcurrence" but I think is the solution to most problems.
Most people in never use their perks, and the newbees or the ones who really like the perked planes cant afford to ride them.

Why do you bring Hurri I and 109E in one arena popullated by La7, P51D and Doras.

BRING RPS TO AH NOW!!!!!!.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Spit XIV and perks
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2002, 10:56:01 AM »
Good post Karnak.
But the current perk points seem to accomplish the aim.....
Like you said. the real issue is how Pyro and HT model the Spit XIV. Will be interesting to see.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Spit XIV and perks
« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2002, 11:14:23 AM »
I liked RPS alot in WBs but it really aint the answer.  Truth is the perk system would probably work well if pyro would fully impliment it.  

Everything in the MA should have some perk value.  The training arena is perk free as it should be.  Folks need to GRADUATE to the perk arena.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
Spit XIV and perks
« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2002, 11:26:12 AM »
Originally posted by thrila

I myself would be up for perking p51's, i see as many of these as i do spit 9's and the p51 is much more lethal than a spit9.

...geez talk about selective memory!
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Steven

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/barking.pig/puke.htm
Spit XIV and perks
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2002, 12:50:45 PM »
<<>> -Karnak

That's why I won't fly the F4U-4.  I personally do not have the fighting skills to survive a gang-bang.  And then there is the humiliation of losing 60 perk points and the factor of just how much time that personally takes me to accumulate.  (I'm averaging less than 100 perks accumulation per month.)  I think I could only affored to lose about 11 or 12 F4U-4s at that cost with my current perk point collection.  But if the F4U-4's cost was something more like the 16 perks as you suggested, I might then actually start getting to learn her in the MA.  However, in seeing the F4U-4's K/D ratio and knowing that most people who take a perk-plane fly it much more carefully with the goal of returning the plane to base, the score is not impressing me much at all and therefore I come to the conclusion that the F4U-4 would not be that deadly of an aircraft.  Besides, everything else is ugly compared to the F4U-4, so I have an aesthetic argument for more of 'em in the MA as well!

Anyway, my personal vote would be for a rolling (or graduating) perk plane set beginning with each tour.