Author Topic: P51D flaps use.......what am I doing wrong?  (Read 1657 times)

Offline gavor

• Nickel Member
      • http://users.senet.com.au/~shanga
P51D flaps use.......what am I doing wrong?
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2002, 05:22:24 PM »
Originally posted by Blue Mako

:p

You just envy my pony...

Keep that in your pants..... Oh wait, i get it. Plane. hehe.

Hurry back mako, theres no-one to fly with at nights!

Offline Andy Bush

• Copper Member
      • http://www.simhq.com  (Contributing Editor - Air Combat Corner)
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2002, 08:09:50 PM »
BM

My impression is that the typical sim gives the impression that flying a WW2 fighter was difficult. Too often, the sim's AI is programmed such that "spins" are a typical result of over-controlling back pressure. This is simply not the case in most instances.

The average WW2 new pilot was put into a fighter-type aircraft very early in his career...much earlier than we do today. These guys somehow managed to survive...which leads me to believe that the planes were not killers waiting to bite the new guy on the butt that some sims make them out to be.

On the matter of flaps and WW2 fighters. No one should generalize about aero matters...there are too many "yeah but's" to make this foolhardy. Having said that, my belief is that most WW2 fighters had a conventional response to flap extension....the stall AOA was reduced, and the nose lowered as a result of flap extension. Yes, there were exemptions to this, but most often not.

Andy

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org/BLUEmako.htm
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2002, 06:14:22 PM »
Originally posted by Andy Bush
BM

My impression is that the typical sim gives the impression that flying a WW2 fighter was difficult. Too often, the sim's AI is programmed such that "spins" are a typical result of over-controlling back pressure. This is simply not the case in most instances.

The average WW2 new pilot was put into a fighter-type aircraft very early in his career...much earlier than we do today. These guys somehow managed to survive...which leads me to believe that the planes were not killers waiting to bite the new guy on the butt that some sims make them out to be.
[/b]

Hmmm not so sure I would agree.  I think it depends on how you define "difficult to fly".  Sure, you can fly it from A to B but I think if you tried to fly them aggressively with only a few hours on type then you would be a greasy spot on the tarmac pretty quick.  Just think of the terrible attrition rates that new pilots suffered in WWII...

On the matter of flaps and WW2 fighters. No one should generalize about aero matters...there are too many "yeah but's" to make this foolhardy. Having said that, my belief is that most WW2 fighters had a conventional response to flap extension....the stall AOA was reduced, and the nose lowered as a result of flap extension. Yes, there were exemptions to this, but most often not.

You are spot on about generalising, unfortunately though it is hard to get the specific information required so you often have no choice (does anyone have the lift-curve charts for flaps in/out for the P51D handy?  I don't).

I agree about the general response to flap deployment (as I stated in my previous post) and I probably got myself and others confused trying to reply to one of the other posters using the total aircraft as a reference instead of just referring to the wing so I appologise if I wasn't spot on the mark (I also have a bad case of the flu atm).   Anyway, as you said, most WWII aircraft behaved conventionally with flap deployment...

Offline AWRass

• Zinc Member
flapz
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2002, 05:45:35 PM »
I am by no means an expert in aerodynamics or fighter tactics. But I have been flying in flight sims since my 75mHz Mac performa. Most of that time in the pony and I have found 2 things to be true 1 guide the plane do not try and drive it. The minute you start driving the pony you are getting away from what it does best. As far a deploying flaps I use them but when I do a little red light goes off telling me I need to get the heck out of dodge or kill the poor sob I am fighting with and quick. In AW flaps in a pony were required if you wanted to loop pulling any more that about 3 g's (too many!!). I don't see that in AH. The first step is try and keep yourself out of a situation that flaps are needed. Ok you are slow and have to make a turn, to make this turn you are going to have to use flaps. I have found that making sure the plane is not slipping will prevent that spin you were talking about, but then you are talking about an in-plane maneuver which will probably get you killed or not give you the shot anyway. Oh yea... the second thing I have learned Patience. Extend wait on the other guy to make a mistake and don't be afraid to bug out.
 Shoot straight!!
Rass

Offline rabbit

• Zinc Member
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2002, 03:51:13 PM »
Shoot straight!!
Rass>

Well Said Rass!!!

As i am still learning this FM  I think that is the most important think in Stangin.

But, if you are CO alt/E those flaps  will help  you out ask your CO about the olden days of us fighting 51's on the deck . pumpin flaps and throttle.  you would think that we were flyin yaks

i could force  most into mistakes when i knew  exactly how my 51 would respond at said alt and speed.

as i do not have the same skills yet in this flight model.  i still have a few million mistakes to make here but, i will eventually get the hang of this  bird.  Deploying the flaps in a 51 in the right situation will give you an edge or they will get you killed . it is up to your knowlage of  your ride.  

Sorry fellers i hadda chime in  since one of my old students from the olde days chimed in. right now i really dont know my bellybutton from apple butter In AH.

/0