Author Topic: Teamwork, do you care?  (Read 606 times)

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
Teamwork, do you care?
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2002, 09:46:06 AM »
I like to think of myself as a pure team player. If there's a mission up, I'm in it. As soon as I log in, I check in on Channel 2 and ask if there are Eggs, or goons needed anywhere.

Honestly, I find gooning as boring as hell, but it's a necessary evil to me. The worst is the resupply run. Risk your bellybutton for nothing but helping the team and completing a sortie.

Either way, I enjoy a good furball from time to time, but I have to agree with Lazs. A Furballs only fun when the numbers are pretty close. WHo wants to fly into the middle of a gang bang.

Now, gimme a B-26 on a strike mission, where I can blast GV's, and fight off bogs all the way and I'm a happy pilot.

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
Teamwork, do you care?
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2002, 10:09:38 AM »
Ok, I change my answer to just "No".
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Teamwork, do you care?
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2002, 10:23:29 AM »
I enjoy both furballing without a wingman/team mate and flying missions with a team. Variety is the spice of life.

Without the real people interaction I get in my squad this game would grow old quick.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Teamwork, do you care?
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2002, 10:27:18 AM »
Teamwork in the MA should be on a more fundamental level.  Right now, the general concensus seems to be that teamwork means getting 40 people together to fly to a field.  I am not for that.

Fought a Spit and N1K2 flying together the other day.  It was one of the first coordinated team efforts I've seen in a long time.  Their timing was excellent and the fights were extremely tough.  One would bait.. the other would swoop.  It was executed quite nicely.  It occured to me at the time how rarely I see that in the MA anymore.

And Lazs... the arena size grew because AW shut down and HTC has been on an advertising blitz.  That means new people to the game.  The best way to learn the fighters and their guns is to fly them in furballs.  Many people do that when they are starting out.  Most people's abilities mature and they end up wanting a tad bit more from the game.  I remember kindergarden being really fun... I just don't know why someone would want to stay there for 3 years.

AKDejaVu

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
Teamwork, do you care?
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2002, 04:56:41 PM »
You're here to have fun.  You're paying HiTech Creations 15 bucks a month.  Seems silly not to do what you have fun doing.

Dam     that was simple wasn't it?

:D
- The Flying Circus -

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
      • Streak Eagle - Stephen's Website
Teamwork, do you care?
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2002, 05:15:27 PM »
Umm, for the time being (maybe indefinitely?) I don't have the time to play in all the MA strat game stuff. I can't even afford the time to join a squad. So... I fly lone wolf most of the time doing whatever it is that will make me happy in the time I do have. Sometimes I may actually try to help my country. Othertimes I may try to defend a vulched base all by myself. I am not against teamwork, but I simply don't have the time to commit to it. In the end, I just like flying and am not too concerned about whose kill ratio is what or which side is about to get reset.
i5(4690K) MAXIMUS VII HERO(32 Gb RAM) GTX1080(8 Gb RAM) Win10 Home (64-bit)
OUR MISSION: PROTECT THE FORCE, GET THE PICTURES, ...AND KILL MIGS!

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
Teamwork, do you care?
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2002, 06:10:34 PM »
Originally posted by streakeagle
Umm, for the time being (maybe indefinitely?) I don't have the time to play in all the MA strat game stuff. I can't even afford the time to join a squad. So... I fly lone wolf most of the time doing whatever it is that will make me happy in the time I do have. Sometimes I may actually try to help my country. Othertimes I may try to defend a vulched base all by myself. I am not against teamwork, but I simply don't have the time to commit to it. In the end, I just like flying and am not too concerned about whose kill ratio is what or which side is about to get reset.

Beautiful, and exactly my situation. Whether or not that is kindergarten flying (S! AKDejaVu!) matters to me little. I take what I can get, just like you.

Offline bowser

• Copper Member
Teamwork, do you care?
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2002, 07:14:05 PM »
"...Most people's abilities mature and they end up wanting a tad bit more from the game. I remember kindergarden being really fun... I just don't know why someone would want to stay there for 3 years....".

I've read this point of view in various forms on this BBS...basically it requires no talent to furball.  The real skill is in BnZ style fighting.

Never quite understood that.  In a typical furball situation you are in a plane that cannot outrun anybody.  This means to survive you have to stand and fight, outflying the opposition.  Meanwhile a BnZ type flies a very fast plane and typically only enters a fight with an E or SA advantage.  When the fight starts to go badly, his plane choice allows him to exit the fight at will.

I can get tired of furballs also, just like you would with anything over time....but to bring skill-level or maturity into it is ridiculous.  I suspect those comments come from people who find it tough to survive in a furball.

bowser

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
Teamwork, do you care?
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2002, 08:15:04 PM »
Bowser-

Anytime you paint with that broad a brush you inevitably tar the wrong people with the right.

Offline majic

• Silver Member
Teamwork, do you care?
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2002, 10:55:00 PM »
For you furball guys:  Would you join a fighter sweep mission?

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
Teamwork, do you care?
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2002, 11:40:07 PM »
I might join any mission, but I won't sit in the tower for even 5 minutes waiting for it to start. Too little time to play as it is.

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
Teamwork, do you care?
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2002, 01:14:20 AM »
it isnt a question of "furball" vrs "strat". I jabo, buff, gv and occassionallly fly a goon.

I fly missions occassionally. But my idea of "teamwork" has nothing to do with anyone aspect. What it comes down to is if you enjoy the mission planner aspect of ah then go for it. But a lot of folks aren't into a 40 people mission gangbang of an undefended field. Also when folks dont join its particularly annoying to hear the guy aking the mission screaming over channel 2 "join my mission" then when no one does to listen to him then complain how stupid everyone else is because they wont follow his idea of how the game should go.

People enjoy A2A combat above everything else.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Teamwork, do you care?
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2002, 08:41:37 AM »
deja.. I do fly in a squad and as such.. we have "teamwork" but the goal is killing the red planes.  

I think that the strat in AH and any sim is the kindergarden.  It is extremely simplistic and, if done properly, risk free and a waste of time.

I see more fluffs and GV's and PT boats and gunners than ever before.  A lot of the more timid guys are doing the easy things....

furballs are everchanging.   the combos are allmost infinite.   I thought you would have known this by now.   I also would agree with you that new guys that will eventually be good ALL start out in furballs.   You can't learn how to fight if you don't strain your abilities and SA.   Caution and timidity only lngthen the learning curve.
lazs

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
Teamwork, do you care?
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2002, 09:14:07 AM »
strat.. per se, is less 'simple' than furballing lazs.

Variety .  depends on my mood.

sometimes I'm into the mindless lazs furball,
sometimes it's GV's or strat.. fighter sweeps, etc.

Offline Zippatuh

• Silver Member
Re: Teamwork, do you care?
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2002, 09:19:43 AM »
Originally posted by majic
...When you play are  you just lookin for a furball, or a milkrun, or do you like to play the strat game and take bases?...

Yes