Author Topic: Get rid of Killshooter!!! It doesn't make sense.  (Read 631 times)

Offline Taiaha

• Copper Member
Get rid of Killshooter!!! It doesn't make sense.
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2002, 06:34:55 AM »
Amen to all the smart people who have already posted on this.  I've been playing AH for 8 months and I just killshootered myself for the first time the other night.  Am I that good a pilot?  Hell no.  It's just that I send check 6 calls and check my fire when friendlies are in the area; while I like furballing on occasion, I generally avoid super-furballs (we need a new name for these. . .ideas?) and behavior like snipering.  Part of realism for me is in the way you yourself behave, rather than expecting the game to provide all the realism for you.

Keep killshooter.  Increase the damage!  I also think we need a vox-linked killshooter.  People who whine about being HOed (takes two to tango) automatically explode on their next attempt to spawn.

Offline aGirl

• Zinc Member
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2002, 07:03:18 AM »
The other day, i'm in a P-38, chasing tsorde in a P-38 loaded with rockets, so i'm gaining on him slowly, and at about d800 i fire of a burst just on the 50s for the hell of it, i hit him and he's smoking...but i hate firing bs 10 second bursts on guns that would burn out after 3, so i just hang there on his tail, gaining slowly
..........meanwhile, unbeknownst to me, some guy called "suave" has seen tsorde attack our base, hopped in a Yak, and come screaming up full power climbing below me, completely out of my field of view. O.K. so my SA was down, but i knew there were no other enemies in the area. I'm just about to take another leisurely burst on the 50s when this guy suave literally pops up right in front of me, straight in my line of fire.
Now, luckily i managed to avoid killshootering myself, but i was damned if i was gonna let this prat get the kill, so i arc a ton of 50s over him, and tsorde's P38 goes down.

An argument against killshooter? No, cos next thing i know this guy "suave" is swearing at me over the country channel cos i got the kill.
About once a week i meet a 'friendly' whose guns i know would be turned on me if it wasn't for killshooter, i think it's the best solution to the problem by far.

btw i have this on film so i've no qualms about naming the guy.

Offline Taiaha

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2002, 07:28:18 AM »
aGirl brings up another good point.  I'm generally in favor of the way HTC has approached the issue of mechanical reliability, which is to ignore it altogether.  While it might add some spice to have a realistic chance of engines, landing gear failing, etc. (and it would mean the Tempest wouldn't be perked so highly, if the unreliability of its engine was modelled accurately) current thinking in online and stand alone sims seems to regard this as an unfair penalty on players.

That said, I would like to see guns that overheat and fail.  It would put an end to the "streaming wall of lead folks", and would also modify the buff game if you had to fire in shorter bursts.  And on the flipside, I can't see that it would seriously impact the many pilots who already do fire in controlled bursts.  (I'd also like to see bullet drop and dispersion more accurately modelled, but that's a whole other whine. . .er, thread!)

Offline mrsid2

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2002, 07:34:53 AM »
Big words from a guy who has played for 8 months and has a 4% hit ratio in fighters..

I say first learn to aim with AH 'inaccurate modeling' then ask for more :)

Offline Dawvgrid

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2002, 07:35:00 AM »
Punt;)

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2002, 07:51:15 AM »
I've died to killshooter maybe 10 times in 2 1/2 years and 6,154 sorties, I can recall maybe 3-4 instances of killshootering myself because the friendly "just appeared" in front of me all of a sudden. The other couple of times I was well aware of the risk.

Killshooter is fine. Just learn to put your ammo where it's supposed to go. :)

Offline lasse

• Copper Member
      • Lassenet
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2002, 08:13:16 AM »
Killshooter must stay.

Since day one of AH I may have killed myself because of killshooter once, not even shure of that one.

This is a non problem in my eyes.

The Wild Viking

Commanding Officer
Lasse
You smell that? Do you smell that?
Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that.
I love the smell of napalm in the morning.
The smell, you know that gasoline smell, smelled like victory.

Offline Preon1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2002, 08:16:15 AM »
I have to say that killshooter can be annoying but it's a good thing.  It doesn't ruin my life very often and it keeps people responsible for their shots.  Imagine what would happen when an enemy con is being chased by a train of 5 friendly fiters all firing away in order to get the kill.  A whole new era of kill stealing would begin.

Offline air_guard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2002, 08:24:13 AM »
LOL remove killshooter and we see whines all day from people beeing shot down by countrymates hehe.
Or whatif a tosser just changes country to piss somone off :D

airguard

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2002, 08:27:21 AM »
Originally posted by Preon1
Imagine what would happen when an enemy con is being chased by a train of 5 friendly fiters all firing away in order to get the kill.  A whole new era of kill stealing would begin.

Bingo.

Offline Dawvgrid

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2002, 08:30:52 AM »
Originally posted by Preon1
I have to say that killshooter can be annoying but it's a good thing.  It doesn't ruin my life very often and it keeps people responsible for their shots.  Imagine what would happen when an enemy con is being chased by a train of 5 friendly fiters all firing away in order to get the kill.  A whole new era of kill stealing would begin.

you just be sure to fly tail-end Charlie;)

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2002, 08:40:40 AM »
Killshooter is just fine as it is.

My best killshooter death was dropping a bomb on a GV only to discover he was friendly, then waiting for death as the bomb fell from 20K.   :)
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Dawvgrid

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2002, 08:44:19 AM »
,,,you shouldt had screamed "GET OUTTA THE WAY" to him:D ,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,soon weekend;)

Offline Zippatuh

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2002, 09:02:57 AM »
Although I can understand being upset having a death attributed to killshooter it needs to stay the way it is.

As already stated with none at all there will be no reason to hold back and could bring kill stealing arguments to a new level.

If rounds do damage to the friendly I can imagine the problems that will bring.  Have a problem with an enemy?  Want some revenge?  Switch sides, highlight him as a wingman, go find him and kill him every time they get engaged.

Actually, that last part has some merit.  HTC turn killshooter off! :D

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2002, 09:09:49 AM »
I can't believe that no one's pointed this out before.

-Sikboy
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.