Author Topic: Get rid of Killshooter!!! It doesn't make sense.  (Read 632 times)

Offline CyranoAH

• Gold Member
Get rid of Killshooter!!! It doesn't make sense.
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2002, 06:20:29 PM »
Originally posted by Yeager
Ok...ok  hehe

RELAX........its just a game.

I was beginning to worry! :eek: :D

Now everything's back to normal.

Daniel

Offline pbirmingham

• Copper Member
      • http://bigscary.com
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2002, 07:24:55 PM »
Originally posted by beet1e
Midnight - au contraire, mon ami.

And this is where WB and IL2 guys will agree with me. Many in WB refer to AH projectile trajectories as "laser gunnery", and I can see where they're coming from. In AH, I once got a kill of a 109 from my F6F at a range of 1000 yards at an upward angle of about 30°. I'm no expert myself, but I think the other guys argue that beyond about 500 yards, the projectiles' energy would be pretty much spent, just as a shotgun is lethal at 10 feet but probably harmless at 500 yards.  

The other guys are probably wrong, especially if they're applying a 500-yard limit to heavier projectiles than 7.92 mm.  In the .50 cal destroying tanks thread HT posted a chart of armor penetration versus range for the Browning M2.  As you see, the Browning M2 will penetrate around 18mm of armor plate struck perpendicular at 500 yards.  Hardly "pretty much spent."

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2002, 09:33:45 PM »
pbirmingham - you're probably right, but then to use my earlier scenario, if you fired at something at 15,000 feet, and there was a furball going on near the surface some miles away, does this mean you might suffer a KS death if your ammo found a friendly target?  An unlucky shot, perhaps, but  suppose your own CV was out there. Bah, getting a bit hypothetical...  OK, it doesn't matter. Funny how I never suffered a KS death in WB, but have had four or five in AH in as many months, at least two of which were caused by opportunists diving in to steal my kill. Add a bit of lag into the equation and Boom!  Happened just yesterday, and I discoed right afterwards.

As to midnight's somewhat smart alec remark
When ever you fire a weapon, you have to know what is downrange, including what is downrange all around your intended target, in case you miss, which by your post, seems to be the case.
I see that his gunnery percentage is around 11.83%. Better than mine at just over 7%, but still means that most of his shots (88.17%) miss. I seem to remember something about a topic called "Dispersion". So if aiming at a con's dead 6, it seems inevitable that a proportion of shots will miss, wherever you aim.

I'm off now until Thursday - see you when I get back.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2002, 09:37:26 PM by beet1e »

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2002, 01:10:56 AM »
Gawd ya gotta love people that take the time to check your stats before they post.Ahhhh young Luke.I see your noodle is 3 inches SHORTER than mine.Your opinion is irrelevant.
  Keep the kill shooter.In Air Warrior there was a safty net that took all your ammo for 24 hours if you killed 2 friendlies in 24 hours.That was an attempt at normal,but you had dipshits sitting on runways killing friendlies in a 26 for hours till they ran out.Or fragged a base while it was being taken.I think the responsibility should rest entirely on the pilots finger.You hit a friendly you pay.Damage could be better tho cause I have yet to survive a friendly hit.
  Could one of you people with no life check my KD ratio and get back to me?Also I would like a hit % update.Thanks.Go hide a cv.
The Flying Circus.Were just like you.Only prettier.

FSO 334 Flying Eagles. Fencers Heros.

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2002, 07:36:01 AM »
The day we get rid of idiots, we can rid killshooter.