Author Topic: I dont really like this map...  (Read 415 times)

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
I dont really like this map...
« on: April 21, 2001, 03:24:00 PM »
Thats all no whine or anything, I just don't like it. Anyone else have any feelings about it?

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2001, 03:56:00 PM »
Not real fond of it either.

The SE corner does seem to be the "bucket" for whatever reason.

Also, it's a tough map for the short range planes (especially if you can get no drop tank). Things are pretty spread out for a 205, for example.

Seems to be a bit too easy to drag the portable ack fest TG right up to the seaside bases too. Maybe we need shore batteries to teach those sailors a little respect.

But playing is still better than not playing.  
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2001, 04:13:00 PM »
I am also not too fond of it.  Although I really can't come up with a good reason.

Seems I fly brutal in this terrain.

Hans

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2001, 04:32:00 PM »
I'll put my vote in here too.

Technically there isn't much wrong with it.  I just feel there are too many islands.  I like having elbow room for the fleets to sail thru.

I do like the central island though.

Hans.

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2001, 04:33:00 PM »
I find this terrain alot more enjoyable than the 'uterus' map. I know its still symetrical but  with all the chains of islands it sometiems does'nt feel that way and you could quite imagine battling across the Solomons in this terrain.

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2001, 04:44:00 PM »
I don't like anything with the beta terrain textures.  

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2001, 04:54:00 PM »
Best map to date was the one we had prior to cv's being introduced  

------------------
Von Santa
Staffelkapitän 9./JG 54 "Grünherz"
"If you return from a mission with a victory, but without your Rottenflieger, you have lost your battle."
- D. Hrabak, JG 54 "Grünherz"

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2001, 05:23:00 PM »
I don't like this map either. No matter where you go, you run the risk of a CV Task Group being there.

THe P-51D is not very effective under 10k, and if there is an enemy boat, you either go away or get under 3k. Neither option is very fun.

------------------
Midnight CO
412th FG "Nightmare Mustangs"[/i]

The 412th is actively seeking P-51 Mustang pilots. E-mail me for more information  davidl@splusnet.com

"You tell them I'm coming.. And Hell's coming with me!" -Kurt Russel Tombstone

funked

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2001, 05:35:00 PM »
I like the other one better.  Less CV floating Death Stars with BVR IFF psychic insta-ping capability.

DMax

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2001, 10:06:00 PM »
As a newbie to AH who's previous experience includes WB & AW, I too would opt for a different map concept. At this point I have the map toggle and zoom mapped to my stick but it still strikes me as somewhat cumbersome to deal with.

Inasmuch as I think AH kicks butt compared to the other 2 sims mentioned, I think AW had a great map/dar componant.

My .02
DamnedMax

Offline rosco-

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2001, 10:17:00 PM »
 Another reason I dont really like the 3 country setup. Its hard to have a historical terrain when you have 3  countries.

And I liked last tours map for the same reason as funked... floating death stars hee hee hee

Offline Fokker

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.inbusiness.no
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2001, 11:10:00 PM »
This map is a nice variation from the other maps, and those floating death stars sure create action.

Intense seabattles make a nice variation to endless furballs at the central island.

However, I would sure like to see a map like the Norwegian map used in scenarios in MA. It should however include more of central Europe and part of the Mediterainian. It would lend itself nicely to an allie/axis arena.

Such a map would give natural areas for different kind of actions. Lots of CVs and convoys in the North Sea. Battle of Britain A2A over the Channel, and land based action in central Europe.

I can even see a 3-sided war going on. West, North and South.

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2001, 11:21:00 PM »
I'm putting on the finishing touches on a map. I've read the post about lower priority fronts and high priority fronts ( the originator of the post escapes me) But it got me thinking...If a map was designed to be like a tension of some sorts, meaning the more an enemy presses into enemy land the harder it is on supplies. To impliment this will take some really planned out thoughts. One way to do this would be to disable certain planes at some feilds as they get closer to enemy HQ, and buffs can only take off from back feilds. Now this would work with only one problem,, that being the "leapfrogging" of feild captures to stronger feilds that have ALL planes enabled. Another quick thought would be to adjust the rebuilds of maybe just the bomber hangers. I'm Not Anti-buff, It's just One example of many that could be done.

NUTTZ

lazs

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2001, 10:00:00 AM »
the only good things about this map is the center island and the carrier groups.  other than that... fields are too far apart.

the carrier groups are a blast for a lot of people.... they may not even read this BB burt they vote by participating in the carrier battles.   Some of the most fun in AH.
lazs

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2001, 06:57:00 PM »
I allways liked the map we got right after the beta terrain.  
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.