Author Topic: On AGW  (Read 1508 times)

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
On AGW
« on: April 22, 2001, 01:59:00 PM »
  "On a regular day the AH BBS is a sewer".  

________________Posted by kieren on AGW

Thats a little strong. Doont you think?

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
On AGW
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2001, 02:13:00 PM »

"On a regular day the AH BBS is a sewer".
________________Posted by kieren on AGW

Thats a little strong. Doont you think?

I really think that you posting that here confirms Kieren's assertment.

AKDejaVu

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
On AGW
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2001, 02:18:00 PM »
  For the last forty years I have preferred the company of bikers to that of "decent folks". The reason for this is that when a biker calls a man an amazinhunk, he does it to his face. He does not just go around the neighborhood badmouthing the other guy.

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
On AGW
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2001, 02:37:00 PM »
I stand on that comment. We have degraded ourselves here to the point where a post cannot be made without someone attacking someone else. We recently discovered that we have monitors in game, and the board is experiencing more closed threads than ever before. There is a reason for that, and we'd better face it.

Sometimes the criticism leveled at us is justified; we fortunately have the power to do something about it.

FWIW, that wasn't a "behind the back" post, I made it on an open forum where I knew many of our members frequented. I would have to be foolish to think that no one from AH would read it.

[This message has been edited by Kieran (edited 04-22-2001).]

Offline Kats

• Zinc Member
      • http://jg27.org
On AGW
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2001, 03:38:00 PM »
Well everyone is entitled to their opinion, and alot of it is perception. I personally don't see much difference between the communities and actually get more frustrated online in WB than I do in AH, but that is just me. Thing you have to remember about these boards is that 90% of the posting is to discuss ideas, pro's & cons of the game etc. Of course things will get heated.

But when all the BS is done - AH pilots are a real tough lot and I find the fights in AH to be the toughest to win in any simm out there to date. SALUTE!!!!!

Here's one for ya easymo:

[This message has been edited by Kats (edited 04-22-2001).]

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
On AGW
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2001, 04:30:00 PM »
Two wheel John Deere ?

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
On AGW
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2001, 04:48:00 PM »
Naw Staga, John Deeres dont leak as much oil.    

Dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline milnko

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cameltoe.org
On AGW
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2001, 04:55:00 PM »
Harley's don't leak oil.......they just like to mark thier spot.

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
On AGW
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2001, 04:58:00 PM »
Oh, BTW, I read AGW for years, and still do read it, and flaming each other is sure not unique to the AH BBS by a long shot.

Fortunately, WB is rarely discussed or put down here .  I dont think anyone playing AH is threatened by WB, but I dont think that is the case of WB players and AGW posters.  The result of that is when someone goes on AGW posts negatives about AH or the community here on AGW, many are willing to jump on it.
Sad.

I havent seen anything negative on the AH BBS that I havent seen on AGW many times.  There really isnt that big of a differance.  Yes, some posts are getting locked here, but it doesnt happen often, and when it does, it is always a good thing because it is a thread started or going in a bad direction.  As this is a company operated BBS, unlike AGW, HTC has a responsibility to excerise some level of control, just as IEN does on their company boards.  Matter of fact, I think IEN is much more restrictive about it, completely deleting threads they dont like, or that discuss other games.

I went and read Kierens post, I really didnt find it all that offensive, and everyone has a right to his opinion.

Dago

[This message has been edited by Dago (edited 04-22-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Dago (edited 04-22-2001).]
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline rosco-

• Copper Member
On AGW
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2001, 05:14:00 PM »

Originally posted by Dago:
I guess if Keiren is unhappy with the AH community, maybe he will choose not to participate in it anymore?

Dago

Hope not. Kieren is probably the coolest head in here and the last person I would want to see leave.

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
On AGW
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2001, 05:54:00 PM »
Actually, I hope he doesnt leave either.
He is a good guy and good player.  Just wish he wouldnt put down our community on a board where they salivate over any percieved problem here.
Dago

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
On AGW
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2001, 06:09:00 PM »
  FWIW. I don't consider the off topic section of another sim's forum, being "upfront".  Especially for a post that aggressively negative. Suggesting that it does, looks like a bill clinton dance step to me.

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
On AGW
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2001, 06:09:00 PM »
I was little surprised when I saw that post but after all Kieren is free to post his thoughts in AGW if he wants.
(Thought I would post issues like that in AH's UBB if needed)

Offline milnko

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cameltoe.org
On AGW
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2001, 06:30:00 PM »

Originally posted by easymo:
 For the last forty years I have preferred the company of bikers to that of "decent folks". The reason for this is that when a biker calls a man an amazinhunk, he does it to his face. He does not just go around the neighborhood badmouthing the other guy.
[/b]

As you guys well know, I rarely post to these types of threads, I like to keep my posts light and humourous however......

From what I've gathered we AH'ers are considered rude and crude by AW'ers & WB'ers, this may in a large part be due to the fact that some members of our community are quick to call someone an A-hole.

Some feel that because they pay thier $30 a month they are entitled to play anyway they want and be as offensive as they want.

In a small part I contribute this behavior to people "forgetting" that there is a real live person on the other end of thier abuse, and there is more than just a computer screen recieving thier keystrokes.

Of course a larger part of it is "internet courage" as it's too easy to be an A-hole when the possiblity of getting your bellybutton handed to you is so remote as to be  non-exsistant.

Then add in the individuals that just like to get a rise out of someone and feel the easiest way to do that is to insult them.

Not to be forgotten are the "name in lights" people, the ones that like to see thier name scrolling down the screen/text buffer so much that when they run outta positive things to type, resort to negative or inflammatory comments.

As you all know there is not an easy solution to these behaviors, although it appears that HTC is taking steps to curb it.

I'd hazard to  guess that the old adage of "treat others as you'd like to be treated" just isn't part of some players beliefs.

I think it should be remembered that while it's true the squeeky wheel gets the most oil, it's also true that it's the first wheel that gets replaced, as a couple of banned members have recently found out.

I'm sure alot of AH'ers feel as I do, That a player's online gaming ability has little to do with how much I respect them, it's more in how they interact with those they come in contact with that really makes 'em noteworthy community members.

Kieran has always been a class act, as demonstrated by how he conducts himself in the game and here on the AH BBS.
And IMO is a respected community leader.

Milenko

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
On AGW
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2001, 06:52:00 PM »
  "I'd hazard to guess that the old adage of "treat others as you'd like to be treated" just isn't part of some players beliefs."

As luck would have it, the last topic I posted on this forum, was a link to a page, to help kieren enjoy his new cable. (Strange behavior for a member of the cesspool.)