Author Topic: Perk Points WHY???  (Read 372 times)

Offline rickod

• Copper Member
Perk Points WHY???
« on: February 08, 2001, 01:41:00 PM »
cant we all just fly and have a good time ,?

why does this have to be some kind of competition to see who gets the uber ride ?

it wouldnt do me anygood id get vulched takin off as soon as I get enuff points to get the uberbirds anyways

------------------
Skrbrofr

27TH SENTAI
ARMED RECCE UNIT

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Perk Points WHY???
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2001, 01:50:00 PM »

Originally posted by rickod:

it wouldnt do me anygood id get vulched takin off as soon as I get enuff points to get the uberbirds anyways

So are you saying you'd be dumb enough to launch your Perk fighter from a forward airfield? <Rip slaps Rickod with the back of his aviators gloves>  

Actually, Perk aircraft is an age old conception in simulation software...reward.Only this reward you get to do something with it.

All the tools are not in place, all the rules have not been laid out..so it's only pure skeptism that we can discuss...and with HTC's track record and my optimistic outlook on software...I will wait to hold my opinion of it.

------------------

VMF-323 ~Death Rattlers~
Member of 'MAG-33' (Click here)
Click here for VMF-323 Death Rattlers info
Click here for interviews with other Aces High Squadrons
Click here if you must whine about the F4U1-C
If you cannot do something well,
learn to enjoy doing it poorly!

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 02-08-2001).]

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Perk Points WHY???
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2001, 02:01:00 PM »

Originally posted by rickod:
it wouldnt do me anygood id get vulched takin off

If you get vulched taking off, how does it matter what aircraft you are doing it in? Why  would you choose to get vulched taking off? Wouldn't you rather fly?

miko

Offline RangerBob

• Zinc Member
Perk Points WHY???
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2001, 04:18:00 PM »
The real problem is that in order to obtain a large number of perk points you must spend time running jabo attacks on undefended installations such as barracks facillities.

These jabo attacks will score many more fighter perk points that you can ever obtain in dogfights, if you set the scoring right. As a result those with the most perk points probably are not the ones Hitech intended to be rewarded with the upcoming Perk Planes.

This negates the entire Perk System. So we are back to square one. Either your a point score pilot, or your having fun. You guess which one wins in the long run.

Ranger Bob

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
Perk Points WHY???
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2001, 04:18:00 PM »
Lets hold off untill it has been implemented. Then we can judge it on its merits or weaknesses.

In principle PPs are very effective way of molding peoples behaviour in the MA as PPs do actually have value in their own right.
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

AKSeaWulfe

Perk Points WHY???
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2001, 04:22:00 PM »
Thing is though.. if those guys that desperately want to fly a perk plane will get to fly one, they have to help out the country (in one way or another) by either dogfighting(low number of perk points per sortie) or by attacking a facility or the HQ in a fighter and scoring it as fighter. In the end this all helps build on the entire war theme and the guys that want perk planes get them through helping out the country(whether they want to or not).
-SW

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
Perk Points WHY???
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2001, 04:39:00 PM »
Rewards keep people payin to play. They wanna get that next uber ride so they stay abit longer tryin to achieve it.

Good business move  

SKurj

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Perk Points WHY???
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2001, 05:10:00 PM »
The only problem I'm having with it so far is as the following:

I am not a good pilot, but I'm also not too bad.  I get my share of kills.  In 18 hours of playing I have gotten 142 fighter perk points, nearly all of them through air to air combat (there were a couple of vulches in there too).  I've spent most of my time in Zeros, with C.205s, Bf109G-2s, P-38s, Yak-9s, Seafire IIs and Spitfire Vs in there too, as well as Some Spitfire IXs and N1K2s.  Now I'm hearing that there are guys who are getting 140 points by doing two cushy, behind the lines, ground attack runs in F4U-1Cs.

This makes me pissed.

Fighters should get the most points by killing other units, GVs, PT boats or aircraft, not for doing milkruns on helpless barracks.

The worse part of this is that HTC is probably going to base the price of perk planes on the average amount that players earned through the version 1.05 tours.  These "score potatos" are driving that average up out of reach of players who don't have gobs of time and don't game the game to get points.  When I fly I want to spend that small amount of time in air combat against other players, not straffing buildings just as you can offline.

The reward should be for doing things that can only be done with other players.

------------------
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Sisu
-Karnak
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

PakRat

Perk Points WHY???
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2001, 06:47:00 PM »
Rickod - Who said it was a competition? I don't recall ever hearing that the perk points were some sort of competition.

Can't you guys just give it a chance before deciding it's nothing but bad and doom and gloom?

This really gets old. Are people that dweebish?

------------------
Rape, pillage, then burn...

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Perk Points WHY???
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2001, 04:59:00 AM »

Originally posted by AKSeaWulfe:
Thing is though.. if those guys that desperately want to fly a perk plane will get to fly one, they have to help out the country (in one way or another) by either dogfighting(low number of perk points per sortie) or by attacking a facility or the HQ in a fighter and scoring it as fighter. In the end this all helps build on the entire war theme and the guys that want perk planes get them through helping out the country(whether they want to or not).
-SW

And the dweeb straffing endlessy a factory got lot of point whereas they can't fly level in their plane ?
I'm ok with strategic target but when I read that some of this ù*^$$^ got about 4000 point when their fighter capability is below average it upset me.

TheWobble

Perk Points WHY???
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2001, 05:36:00 AM »
Yes it seems that given the point balences, anyone who wants a perk ride will spend all their time mudmoving insted of fighting other planes, this will then add to the already bad deal the fighterVS fighter folks are having.  

Not gettin many points for AtoA kills + everyone who wants points doing ground attack= lonley fighter jocks.  I would either tone down the milk for millions runs points or beef up the A2A kill points.

It seems that the scenario will be
spend 3 hours killing tents, get yer ride and fly for 45 min in it and get shot down, spend another 3 hours shooting tents.....repeat,  crappy deal unless you like shooting tents IMHO.

Offline Torgo

• Zinc Member
Perk Points WHY???
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2001, 09:40:00 AM »
The vast majority of the time the jabo attacks on factories don't really help your country's strategic position at all..

If the enemy  country's city is not dead, they rebuild very fast.

And the factories have no DIRECT effect on fields. Destroying them simply slows down the rebuild time of destroyed stuff at bases. Thus the Flak factory is somewhat relevant, but the reality is wiping out the refinery, barracks, ammo, etc. ends up not having very much practical effect on the game.

[This message has been edited by Torgo (edited 02-09-2001).]

lazs

Perk Points WHY???
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2001, 12:32:00 PM »
the whole perk system is idiotic.   It, by nature, has to "reward" behavior.   But what behavior???  There are as many styles of fighting in this game as there are players and to reward one is to punish another.  It really is that simple.   Skill is not rewarded in equal measure nor.... Can it be.

To say nothing of the fact that the idiotic perk system rewards cowardly behavior and makes introduction of important early planes virtually a moot issue while putting heavy focus on worthless and controversial fantasy planes.
lazs

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
Perk Points WHY???
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2001, 12:38:00 PM »
Thats why all the late war planes should be cheap perks imho (2-8 perks depending on plane). Early war planes would then have their niche as well as the late war. Shooting down a P-51 or 109g10 in a P-39 should give you a LOT of perks, probably enough to put your butt in those late war planes next sortie.

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Perk Points WHY???
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2001, 12:46:00 PM »
I agree with Laz.

Furthermore, if I'm paying top dollar to play this game online, I want to fly all he aircraft available.  Its nice that HTC will cater to the guys that spend 30-100 hours a week in here, but many of us are lucky to log 2-3 hours in a week.

Sigh.  Remember when this was a game?

You either make the aircraft available to all or not at all.  If you are worried about a balance of power, make a seperate arena where those variables are in effect.  Otherwise, I wanna joyride all the hot new planes with others who don't have the time to acrue these elitist little PerkyPoints.

Geesh, I liked "perk points" when they referred to us gawking at the girls bikini tops! hehe

Paul