Author Topic: Limit the N1K to the 2 week free trial.  (Read 1831 times)

Offline grizz

• Copper Member
Limit the N1K to the 2 week free trial.
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2002, 03:40:32 PM »
So...

"I pulled a Leviathan, and Drex even worse."

would be proper terminology?  :D

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2002, 03:42:55 PM »
Fatty. Another scenario: a B&Z plane like F4, P51, 190 run to own field because low fuel,ammo or simply fear, happy spit follow him 20 milles without look behind until hi friend of first plane dives and kill the spit. None evasive action. I saw this many times.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make there, but it's too amusing to leave unquoted.  A while back I jokingly exaggerated that some people were so uptight they got into a wad not only about dying, but about how other people die.  I see it's no longer an exaggeration.

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2002, 03:59:28 PM »
Originally posted by MANDOBLE
For those of you blinded enough to think that raw top speed is a key factor to get kills, better put E retention into your formula, and voila: the spits are anything but slow, unless you mean a straight run at sea level.

P-38L has better E retention than the Seafire, Spitfire I and Spitfire V in the vertical plane.  What's the best way to kill a Spitfire V?  Take the fight vertical.  

Ack-Ack

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2002, 03:59:52 PM »
Kieran... the 190A5 can't out-turn the Spit XIV.  No way, no how.  It can get away from the other ones though.

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2002, 04:31:14 PM »
Originally posted by Dead Man Flying

Shouldn't that read "Leviathn drexes?"

-- Todd/Leviathn

I think he means that your full of Mandoble

-Sikboy
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s
« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2002, 04:36:28 PM »
akak, agree with u about P38L vs Spit in the vertical zoom, and what means that?

DMF you simply cant avoid spits when your mates are in danger surrounded by dozen of dweebs, so, the trick of using "faster" planes is relative to the situation, and the situation is a MA overpopulated by spits dweebs.

Karnak, I dont know your sources, but spits were not exactly very "controllable" at hi speeds and the actual roll rate at low speeds is more than enough to follow any 190 (impossible in RL).

Kieran, SpitXIV is much faster than 190A5 at most alts, and marginally faster at SL.

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2002, 05:25:52 PM »
DMF you simply cant avoid spits when your mates are in danger surrounded by dozen of dweebs, so, the trick of using "faster" planes is relative to the situation, and the situation is a MA overpopulated by spits dweebs.

This discussion was about a single plane vs. a single other plane.  It's the Spitfire's fault that your SA is poor enough that you allow yourself to be caught in situations where Spits can run you down despite your faster, more survivable plane.

The fact is that, ceteris parebis, other planes quickly dominate the fight against Spitfires at any altitude.  Spits excel by frustrating opponents and forcing them into their own fight, but ultimately it's uncommon for them to control the fight.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2002, 06:37:08 PM »
MA is not 1 vs 1. Country play is not lone wolf game. Your vision of MA is, as usual, erroneous. There are lot of jabos, buffs, goons and whatever you want that need to be deffended against spit dweebs, you cant simply keep fast and hi "dominating" the fight.

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2002, 07:15:56 PM »
Uhhhh, Mandoble? That's what I said, the A5 can outrun all but the Spit 14. I still contend the A5 can outturn the 14.

Here's what I'll never understand for certain- Here you are, a guy that enjoys a k/d advantage over the Spit of 7/1, and you are trying to represent the Spitfire, any mark of it mind you, is somehow uber or impossible to combat. Now there are only two possible reasons for your fanatical hatred of this plane:

1. This is your way of saying, "Hey, look at me! Despite the Spitfire being the bestest plane of AH, and totally unrealistically modeled, I still manage a superior k/d against it, making me one of the bestest pilots in AH", or;

2. You really are into your Luftwaffe personna and cannot allow anything to challenge your dream Aryan historical superiority.

I know you throw the old kill-per-time smoke screen up there when challenged, but the fact is the plane is not challenge for you (or anyone else) to kill, therefore it is not an uberplane. It doesn't manage a k/d ratio as well as any of the Fw's. It is numerous, but it isn't overly dangerous in average hands, and is as dangerous in an expert's hands as is any other armed fighter in the game. In short, your incessant whining about it is both ridiculous and outlandish at the same time.

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2002, 07:55:40 PM »
MA is not 1 vs 1. Country play is not lone wolf game. Your vision of MA is, as usual, erroneous. There are lot of jabos, buffs, goons and whatever you want that need to be deffended against spit dweebs, you cant simply keep fast and hi "dominating" the fight.

Let me repeat this slowly for you so it sinks in.

THIS.  IS.  NOT.  ABOUT.  THE.  MAIN.  ARENA.

Get any gaggle of ponderously slow planes in one area and you'll have problems, be they Spits, 202s, or even TBMs.  The other night, I witnessed a massive crowd of IL-2s killing everything in sight, overwhelming people with sheer numbers.  What you're talking about is a gameplay issue; it is not a flight modelling issue.

When discussing flight models, I refer specifically to how one plane matches up with another ceteris parebis... all other things being equal (alt, fuel load, speed, pilot skill level, etc).  The fact is that the Spit is not as survivable as many planes, and there are others that simply dominate it at various altitudes.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2002, 07:56:42 PM »
MANDOBLE,

Read up on Spitfires like you have on 190s.  Become as knowlegable and gain an appriciation of the Spitfire as well.  Right now you quite frankly don't know what you're talking about.

Point the first:  The AH Spitfire and 190 both match the NACA roll tests at 200-300mph.  Below that they both roll slower thanthe test and above that they both roll faster than the test with the Spitfire doing so by a slightly greater margin.

Point the second:  Spitfires suffered from aileron stiffness at high speeds, and some (not all) suffered from aileron reversal at very high speeds.  All Spitfires remained remarkably light on the elevator controls well past the point where most contemporary fighters were suffering from elevator stiffness.  This is not a guess, or wishful thinking, on my part.  It is simply fact.

Until you learn about the aircraft you will simply be spouting hyperbole and talking about it as though it is a mythological demon.  Very little of what you state has anything to do with reality, or AH's flight models.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline pbirmingham

• Copper Member
      • http://bigscary.com
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2002, 09:27:52 PM »

Agree 100%

There's a surprise...

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org/BLUEmako.htm
« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2002, 10:47:47 PM »
Just a quick question for Mandoble:

Why do you whine about the Spits so much?

I checked your stats and you are 19:3 against the spit 9, if it such a UFO why do you kill them so often?

Maybe you are just trying to get them neutered so the are even easier to kill?

IMO the spits are easy meat, leave em as they are.  Most often flown by a newbie, slow, good turner but that doesn't help them when you hit them at 450mph. :D

Back on topic:  Restricting the N1k to the 2 weekers is definitely the all time dumbest idea I have seen on this board.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2002, 11:57:14 PM »
Originally posted by Blue Mako
Just a quick question for Mandoble:

Why do you whine about the Spits so much?

I checked your stats and you are 19:3 against the spit 9, if it such a UFO why do you kill them so often?

Maybe you are just trying to get them neutered so the are even easier to kill?

IMO the spits are easy meat, leave em as they are.  Most often flown by a newbie, slow, good turner but that doesn't help them when you hit them at 450mph. :D

Back on topic:  Restricting the N1k to the 2 weekers is definitely the all time dumbest idea I have seen on this board.

Most likely the same reason I squeak about them but still have a good record against them.  It's just me but,... I get so disgusted at the numbers of Spits I see I can't resist the temptation to do my part to try and make Spits less desireable.  Same for La7s and N1k'S, but I agree... limiting any plane to the free trial is kinda not so smart.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2002, 12:01:02 AM by Tumor »
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2002, 01:04:29 AM »
akak, agree with u about P38L vs Spit in the vertical zoom, and what means that?

Just proves that unlike your claim, the Spitfire V flight model isn't the same as the Spitfire IX.  If it was, then I'd never be able to take the fight vertical.

Ack-Ack