Author Topic: Serious question  (Read 2514 times)

Offline Mathman

• Silver Member
Serious question
« on: June 02, 2002, 07:51:34 PM »
Why do some people care what others fly?  I don't get it.

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
Serious question
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2002, 08:04:37 PM »
Bah, Nobody cares what others fly.
It's a question of what others kill you with :P

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Serious question
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2002, 08:05:35 PM »
Hehehe He has a point Mathman.

However its not the plane, its the pilot!

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
Serious question
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2002, 08:09:21 PM »
Originally posted by Ghosth

However its not the plane, its the pilot!

Not when the pilots are evenly matched, or nearly so.  Or if both pilots happen to be extremly good.

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
Serious question
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2002, 08:20:04 PM »
Originally posted by Innominate
Not when the pilots are evenly matched, or nearly so.  Or if both pilots happen to be extremly good.

You're right.  Then it's luck.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Serious question
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2002, 08:34:39 PM »
The people who care what other's fly want an environment that matches what they imagine reality was like.

"The (pick your plane) was the bestest in the world and should dominate the (popular plane), but it doesn't and that's wrong!!!!"

Everybody likes to think that their favorite plane was a cut above the rest, just like most people think they are good drivers, or above average at least.  But like drivers, they can't all be a cut above the rest and people get disappointed and frusterated when their imaginings don't get realized on the computer screen.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
Serious question
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2002, 10:26:24 PM »
The whines are really getting old.  Each plane has it's own set of strengths and weakenesses.  Play to your aircrafts strengths and magnify the bogey's weakenesses and you will be at peace. ;)

Tango, XO
412th FS Braunco Mustangs
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline Kutt

• Zinc Member
      • http://home.cfl.rr.com/kutt
Serious question
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2002, 10:37:21 PM »
If I can up anf F6F my world is at peace. The rest of the arena can up jets for all I care. People seem to care about what other people fly when they are dieing a lot.

Offline pbirmingham

• Copper Member
      • http://bigscary.com
Re: Serious question
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2002, 11:34:06 PM »
Originally posted by Mathman
Why do some people care what others fly?  I don't get it.

I get it, sort of, though I don't share the sentiment.

The reason I get it is because there are situations I find myself in often, typically at low energy, where a La-7 or a N1K2 would really ruin my day, but another plane I could probably get away from.  If I cared more about "living" in the game, I'd probably get really upset (sometimes I lose perspective and get upset anyway, but I usually log when that happens because I don't like persisting in stupid behavior.)

What I usually try to do is make some sardonic crack or another on the squad channel, then fight the fight (or run) the best that I can.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
Serious question
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2002, 11:53:16 PM »
Math
  I care what other people fly.  Not so much who flies it but how many.  Simply put, I don't care how many aircraft I shoot down, or how many planes shoot me down, it's WHAT plane (for me) at all times.  I've got a pretty good record for knocking Nik's/Spits and La7's out of the air (actually it's about even), it just gets old.  Tonight, I was THRILLED as I got into a very fun fight in my Pony-B with a Ta-152, ended up using all my ammo and he was still alive (dang things are tougher than I thought).  It was awesome.. No spits, niks or La7's in SIGHT!!  In other words... some goob cherry picker didn't notice the two of us duking it out just out of icon range of the furball.  I didn't even get the inevitable N1K point and click geek sneak in.. totally awesome, fights like that are hard to find these days.  It boils down to whats easy and what takes a little work.  I don't care what anyone flies, but don't ask me to laud your skill if you get fixated on me and chase me to Egypt and back in a La7.. and don't whine if I waggle my wings at your Spit, wave goodbye and fly on to a fight that might offer me something more than the old spitty "turn into target" routine followed shortly by the nerd La7 diving in to cherry pick.    Well, I've said my thing enough times on this board....  but one last time (not), it would be nice to spend MORE time fighting things other than Nik's Spits and La7's.  That will never change though... the path of least resistance is the choice of most of course of course.  See.. I can whine with the best.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2002, 12:59:23 AM by Tumor »
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline scspook

• Copper Member
      • The Skeleton Crew BBS
Serious question
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2002, 12:18:13 AM »
To be a competant experienced Combat Flight Sim pilot, both respected and revered by your peers, you must whine about the following in every sim you fly, everytime you fly.

1. Head Ons.
2. Uber Planes.
3. Packet Loss and Warp.
4. Numbers per side.
5. Stick shaking.
6. Altered code.
7. Rubber Bullets.
8. N00b questions.
9. Irrelevant Comms Chatter and
10. Chute shooting.

If you arent doing at least 3 or more of the above at every field you fly, you can hardly expect the rest of us to take you seriously can you?

Now......

Stop filling up the forum with nonsensible N00b questions, that take up space and take that rubber bullet, chute shooting, head on killin' warpy Uber plane of yours and get back in the sky with all your overwhelming in number stick shaking Bish buddies!

:p

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Serious question
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2002, 12:22:01 AM »
The Dueling Arena awaits the uncountable hordes who wish for a pure , uninterrupted 1 V 1 fight matching one particular airplane against another particular airplane.

Apparently though either the uncountable hordes haven't heard of the dueling arena or else those wishing for the pure 1 V 1, plane v plane joust actually prefer the MA.

:D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Serious question
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2002, 12:46:04 AM »
Originally posted by scspook
To be a competant experienced Combat Flight Sim pilot, both respected and revered by your peers, you must whine about the following in every sim you fly, everytime you fly.

1. Head Ons.
2. Uber Planes.
3. Packet Loss and Warp.
4. Numbers per side.
5. Stick shaking.
6. Altered code.
7. Rubber Bullets.
8. N00b questions.
9. Irrelevant Comms Chatter and
10. Chute shooting.
Its an on-line sim... you forgot accusing the other player of having a "golden connection/system".

AKDejaVu

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
Serious question
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2002, 01:17:26 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
The Dueling Arena awaits the uncountable hordes who wish for a pure , uninterrupted 1 V 1 fight matching one particular airplane against another particular airplane.

Apparently though either the uncountable hordes haven't heard of the dueling arena or else those wishing for the pure 1 V 1, plane v plane joust actually prefer the MA.

:D

Toad
  If your referring to me (?) please read on, if not, stop here.... Assuming your are referring to my post (or a like one) you are reading it completely wrong.  Don't assume I only want to fight single aircraft, or aircraft type.  Further, don't try and lump me into a class of folk with blinder's on..   My example of my fight tonight is just a stand-out oddity.  I'm usually flying in support of base capture operations of some sort and my irk is NOT because Spits/Niks/La7s give me a problem.  It's just the fact that THAT is ALL you see.  Ya know, it's even cornier thinking that these guyz take off at all.. just show's the lack of thought.  They seldom last long, usually get vulched and really should'a thought about upping at a base further away.. "Quakeitis" pure and simple.

My response would be addressed to the uncountable hordes who want to do nothing but furball and add absolutely nothing to the Strato Landgrab fight (that just so happens to be whats happening more often than not in the MA)  Why can't THEY be the ones who get invited to the DA? The MA has Strat.. not to mention a goal to reach.  Further, the DA has a big fat area with 3 bases labled "Furball Central".  

Well anyway lol...  I will without doubt spend the majority of my time post 1.10 learning how to remove the take-off option from enemy bases producing a furball in as few passes as possible :D  Each time I get a squeak about it, I will simply smile and point to "Furball Central".
« Last Edit: June 03, 2002, 01:19:35 AM by Tumor »
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Griego

• Copper Member
Serious question
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2002, 02:27:53 AM »
Since i just played Ace's High for the 2week trial. I probably have no place to say my 2cents but here goes anyways.

I liked Ace's High cause it has lots of people and lots of missions going on at all times. I enjoyed the buffs even though there tough as nails to shoot down sometimes but all in all it was very challenging to say the least.

If your going to have all plane all the time this is going to happen
people will pick the very best plane to fly most of the time or aleast the plane they think is the best.

If and when you can get this game to become a historical game where you have all countries represented with there allied nations. and fight Allied vs Axis for example then you can set it the Tour of Duty to be on a historical time line. Where you have early war planes fighting early war planes then slowly introduce the Planes as the war progresses untill you have all planes available. Then you will have a game that make any kind a sense.
Where stratigic elements are envolved. Hopefully you will have Historical Maps to go along with it to make it very imersive.I would love to seen all ju88's flying together in mock war theater.
or lancaster,b17's so on. I know it happens now once in a while. Then you have a p51 shooting down a b17 or a spit shooting downa lancaster and so on and it just takes the imersion factor and you sling it right out the window. then it's just another game that will have the precieved best plane against each other,and strats just don't matter that much any more. Take up a plane and furball.
 This game has wonderful stratigic element to it but when you put it together with the all planes for all concept it just deminish it's imersive potential.We all know what potential this game has.

I hate for it to become 2 seprate arenas one for furballing and the other for Historical battles.Because then it would be cut into pieces and less people would be playing in each arena. Then you wouldnt have as many planes upping for those wonderful buff runs that i seen. Just really enjoyed see that many buffs up at one time and being able to try and dive in on them with abandon.

I know it's long winded sorry.  just MHO.