Author Topic: Cougar vs CH Fighterstick/pro throttle  (Read 1696 times)

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Cougar vs CH Fighterstick/pro throttle
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2002, 09:01:48 AM »
Reminds me of the old days on usenet.  Ah... glad to see TM back in he thick of things.

The Cougar is a very nice stick and worth what I paid for it.

AKDejaVu

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2002, 09:18:28 AM »
Originally posted by AKWarp
Any moron with half a brain synapse KNOWS that CH is the king of controllers....now, take your stiff springed, cast pot metal clunkers with the breaking switches and the laundry list of "needed fixes"  and go sit in the corner, shutup and color.
(oh, and it's BYOC too! (Bring Your Own Crayolas))...

Whew.......how's that SOB?  Think it might stir something up?

NOW you're talking!  :D

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2002, 11:27:16 AM »
LOL SOB & Warp

FWIW I'm going to buy one after you metal phallus worshippers complete the paid beta program and the prices come down a bit.  The throttle detent thingy is dead sexy.

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2002, 12:56:06 PM »
Funked, here's a little handy URL to keep for when you get your Cougar. It's a "how to" guide for adjusting the detents on the throttle.

http://forums.frugalsworld.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19578&highlight=detent

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2002, 03:12:18 PM »
Ever lose a big post and curse like hell ???

I did.

So the shorter version.

Cougar springs to stiff for accurate and precise control near centres or crossing from 1 to 2 springs in tension ie diagonals.

Motorcycle mechanic i push , lift etc 400  + lb motorcycles all day everyday I am neither weak nor small at 240lbs.

Flossy comment its ok and not too stiff as she can use it, i will ignore as Flossy does not fly fighters and therefore will not be hanging on that stick tension for hours fighting and trying to line up shots.
Oh and Flossy I still admire and respect you for all you do in AH especially as your a Brit too :)   Btw suck it up Argies :)

Doberman was vocal saying complaint of strong springs are in fact a weak user, BULLCRAP its a complaint of lack of accurate and precise control as posted above.

Now I believe your average Hit rate is about 3.5% thats THREE POINT FIVE PERCENT are you happy with that ???

Before i got the cougar my hit rate was 16%, the month i purchased it in the last week my hit rate was so bad the monthly total dropped to less than 10% I am not happy with that.

Start of this month it was around the 2% mark after some alterations to my $380 Cougar, yup had to alter it my Cougar now feels much better and hit rate 8% and still going up i hope.

Now you could use the "Foxy's Windows Joystick Analyser" set it to accurate and with one hand on your cougar draw the best circle you can using half the screen width it is not likely to be pretty, but it should show where the control accuracy problems are, or of course play the ostrich and pretend they dont exist and be happy with a 3.5% hit rate.

Having gone through a Hate my Cougar stage, I will say this its extremely well made and the best stick i have ever owned and the only problem i had was with the excessive and un-needed in my opinion spring tension.

So if your thinking of purchasing one just be aware you may or may not like them springs, personal preference i guess.

In case anybody is interested cure for mine was take throttle base off, grab each end of springs in pliers at same time, grip like hell and push down hard thereby weakening the tension. Now when i hold stick so handle is horizontal it will go full deflection under the weight of the handle alone and that handle is surprisingly heavy if you remove it.
And it still positively returns to an exact centre when upright but is far more precise and accurate anywhere near centres and in diagonals.

As always the above is MY opinion and obviously others differ, but even if like me and others you dont like the spring tension its not a big problem at all 20 mins max to cure and you have one helluva Hotas either way.

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2002, 06:26:08 PM »
Originally posted by funkedup
LOL SOB & Warp

FWIW I'm going to buy one after you metal phallus worshippers complete the paid beta program and the prices come down a bit.  The throttle detent thingy is dead sexy.

Hell, I went for the big SUV, and that just wasn't padding the ego (or the small bulge) enough, what was I supposed to do?!?  I think I'm going to get into model rocketry with Creamo next!  :D

SOB

PS...Funked, I don't know if you monitored the comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim newsgroup back in the day, but the "my joystick is better than yours" flame fests were a retarded joy to behold.  I've really missed 'em!  ;)
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Brent Stevens

• Zinc Member
      • http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/lig/s/t/stev2891/
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2002, 08:06:26 AM »
Originally posted by banana
One great feature for me is being able to set whichever hat I want to be the POV hat #1, which is in my case hat #3. It works best for my smaller hands.
Try this.

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2002, 03:03:37 PM »
Tapper,

I did that with my FLCS, but swapped hat 2 with hat 3.  Last night I took my Throttle completely apart to align the speed break switch... screws and wires all over the place... but I havn't had the guts to pull the buttons off yet :)

I have also used mole skin.  You can find it in the shoe department by Dr. Sholes.  Cut a few strips and put it on the smooth parts of the hat for better grip.  The hats on the Cougar seem to have a nice feel, so I don't think I will change anything.

Gunner
Gunner
Cactus Air Force

Offline Doberman

• Copper Member
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2002, 05:03:23 PM »
Originally posted by 214thCavalier

Now I believe your average Hit rate is about 3.5% thats THREE POINT FIVE PERCENT are you happy with that ???

My hit percentage?  No, it's closer to 8% average.  Though I haven't flown but like 3 sorties online in the last 3 months.  

Regardless, I'm pretty happy with 8%.  Seems to do me well enough.  

Hit percentage can be an indicator to overall skill level, but it's certainly not an automatic sign.  Tour 26 (the last one I flew regularly), my 8% was higher than Drex's low 7%.  Doesn't mean much does it? ;)

I have no problems holding the stick still and making fine adjustments.  I'm glad you were able to weaken the stick to your liking, but it's hardly too strong for everyone.  (And I can pretty much guarantee that you're stonger physically than I. :))  Must be a matter of how we interact with the stick.  

D

Offline ygsmilo

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2002, 05:04:54 PM »
Thanks for all the info,, this was a good thread to get a feel for what I need to get.

For the moment I have decided to go with the CH stuff.  One reason is that I have a limited space where my computer is and I also share it with the wife unit.  I think that the weight of the Cougar could be a problem.  So once I get the new stuff in I will give a review.

btw I was using a X36/CH pro pedel combo before.

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2002, 08:03:21 AM »
Im a whimp. Cant move the Cougar.  Had to send it back!!

My X45 is much easier to use.
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2002, 09:21:20 AM »
Doberman your stats i got by using the name Dobe as in your sig, i realise this may not be you and you could fly under a totally different name so they could be incorrect applied to you.

Being able to move the stick or saying the stick is too strong for me is not the problem.
Let me explain my view, the further you move away from centre the easier the stick is to control even though the stick force increases, so if you are turning with back pressure on the stick it is not a problem trying to line up for and take a shot, the problem is when you are not pulling on the stick ie operating near the centre zone or break point and trying to line up a shot that requires small and precise corrections especially if you have to pass through the break point.
Weaker springs make this so much easier to control.

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2002, 10:07:16 AM »
Originally posted by 214thCavalier
Flossy comment its ok and not too stiff as she can use it, i will ignore as Flossy does not fly fighters and therefore will not be hanging on that stick tension for hours fighting and trying to line up shots.
LOL... well OK, maybe I don't fly fighters, but my husband Zeb does, and he has no problems with his Cougar!  :D  I still need to be able to move the stick quickly, though, when I am in a ground vehicle, especially if I am being targetted when a field is close to being,  or has just been, captured - still a lot of effort needed!  :D
Oh and Flossy I still admire and respect you for all you do in AH especially as your a Brit too :)   Btw suck it up Argies :)
Well thank you.... not that I really do much...  ;)  Argies??? :confused:
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline RGJ

• Zinc Member
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2002, 03:59:49 PM »
Tapper,

How did you change the Hat's around?

RGJ

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2002, 05:17:38 PM »
OH Flossy Argies ?  !!!

Argentina..... World cup..... defeat.....ass whuppin.

So repeat after me SUCK it UP Argies !!

:)