Author Topic: The law?  (Read 1743 times)

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
The law?
« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2002, 12:58:15 PM »
With all this talk of law, I think it's best that we review the source material. I've seen some people quote the Constitution, and that's a personal favorite of mine. But perhaps we should dig deeper and find out what our sharpest minds and greatest scholars have to say on the subject of the law.

It's The Law
By Mike Ness

We're sitting here in this cell,
You know it's like a living hell.
Was what you did really a crime?
The judge says you have to serve time.
chorus:
It's the Law, you're in jail.
It's the Law that sets your bail.
Don't bother to try and fight,
It's only a few more nights
The deputy had a bad night,
He couldn't get it up for his wife.
So, he gonna be pissed on the job and
He's gonna bum out your life.
chorus:
It's the Law, you're in jail.
It's the Law that sets your bail.
Don't bother to try and fight,
It's only a few more nights
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline Elfenwolf

• Silver Member
The law?
« Reply #76 on: June 11, 2002, 01:08:20 PM »
Originally posted by Thrawn
This guy is to held for the deration of the "War on Terrorism" without trial?

When does the war on terrorism end?  When all terrorists surrender?

Thrawn, exactly. When WILL the War on Terrorism end? With the defeat of Islamic terrorists or are we going after other nations (like Libya and North Korea) and including THEM in our "War On Terrorism" too, as GW has stated? If that's the case we'll be at war for a long long time I'm afraid... And in the meantime, back at the ranch, we'll start rounding up our undesireables and stick them in military brigs for the duration of this "war".... even if it goes on for thirty years.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
The law?
« Reply #77 on: June 11, 2002, 01:19:53 PM »
SW, I haven't yet researched the facts here but I'm inclined to be trusting this is true.

"We have acted with legal authority both under the laws of war and clear Supreme Court precedent, which establish that the military may detain a United States citizen who has joined the enemy and has entered our country to carry out hostile acts," Attorney General John Ashcroft
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
The law?
« Reply #78 on: June 11, 2002, 01:24:11 PM »
Originally posted by Elfenwolf

Thrawn, exactly. When WILL the War on Terrorism end? With the defeat of Islamic terrorists or are we going after other nations (like Libya and North Korea) and including THEM in our "War On Terrorism" too, as GW has stated? If that's the case we'll be at war for a long long time I'm afraid... And in the meantime, back at the ranch, we'll start rounding up our undesireables and stick them in military brigs for the duration of this "war".... even if it goes on for thirty years.

You make it sound like this "war" is but an excuse for our government to run rough shod over any they wish. Have you forgotten the thousands, much like you, that died horribly on 9/11 or the greiving families they left behind?

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
The law?
« Reply #79 on: June 11, 2002, 01:37:32 PM »
cc Iron, but I was under the impression that laws regarding war could only be carried out when war has been declared.. maybe I'm mistaken and war means any military, or other, aggression against our country.

However, the quote says "detain"... so long as they detain him, then there is no need for a court of law to get involved... anytime soon. People can be detained based on probable cause, which they have here... but beyond that, then a court of law should be involved... at the very least legal counsel should be involved.. could be better for all involved. (example: more information extracted from him)
-SW

Offline Hortlund

• Platinum Member
The law?
« Reply #80 on: June 11, 2002, 01:40:06 PM »
Originally posted by AKSWulfe
at the very least legal counsel should be involved.. could be better for all involved. (example: more information extracted from him)
-SW

Yeah, because
a) He will spill his guts to his lawyer, and
b) said lawyer will break the law and loose his job when he tells the FBI what his client told him

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
The law?
« Reply #81 on: June 11, 2002, 01:42:15 PM »
Originally posted by Hortlund

Yeah, because
a) He will spill his guts to his lawyer, and
b) said lawyer will break the law and loose his job when he tells the FBI what his client told him

Well, I wasn't thinking along those lines... I'm sure you've heard of bartering(there's a court of law term for this).. "okay, they'll deport your bellybutton and let you live if you give us the names of terrorists in the states"... things like that.

You're a judge, I'm sure you know what I mean. :)
-SW

Offline Hortlund

• Platinum Member
The law?
« Reply #82 on: June 11, 2002, 01:48:15 PM »
Well, yeah, but only because I've seen american movies.

Its illegal in Sweden (bartering).

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
The law?
« Reply #83 on: June 11, 2002, 01:49:19 PM »
Originally posted by Sikboy

We signed a contract putting us under the rule of the UCMJ. The status us Active duty Military, and in many cases reserve military denies them some access to some of the protections of the constitution. Just ask that Air-Force Col. who slammed bush in the Monterey Newspaper ;) I'm glad I don't get busted just for badmouting the commander in chimp...( Just kidding. That was for Weazel).
-Sikboy

When you plot or act to attack/destroy the U.S. you forfeit your constitutional rights in my opinion. If that's not law it oughta be.

BTW, I didn't sign anything that said I was giving up any constitutional rights. Current military members aside, what about draftees?

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
The law?
« Reply #84 on: June 11, 2002, 01:54:42 PM »
cc, but I don't think it's actually called bartering.. that was just the closest word I could think of.

What I mean is, if you get arrested here for a drug charge... say, a small amount of dope, if you get a lawyer you can get a lesser charge by turning in the drug dealer, or other drug dealers, and it'll help you out cuz you helped them out. Like in the movie "Half Baked" (if you've ever seen it)

Pretty sure you understood what I meant the first time, just wanted to clarify it.

We've got the guy, but there's so many more out there... what good does this one fella do if we kill him or just keep him locked up? Nothing to help us. 20 detained/imprisoned/killed terrorists and 1 set free (using that term loosely) are better than 1 detained/imprisoned/possibly soon to be kill terrorist and 20 out there just waiting for their chance to make their rendition of the big bang.
-SW

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
The law?
« Reply #85 on: June 11, 2002, 01:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman_SBM
War? We're at war?

Did Congress declare war?

I'm at war with you and towel heads that want to kill me.

Congress has toejam to do with it.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
The law?
« Reply #86 on: June 11, 2002, 02:02:23 PM »
cc, but I don't think it's actually called bartering.. that was just the closest word I could think of.

What I mean is, if you get arrested here for a drug charge... say, a small amount of dope, if you get a lawyer you can get a lesser charge by turning in the drug dealer, or other drug dealers, and it'll help you out cuz you helped them out. Like in the movie "Half Baked" (if you've ever seen it)

Pretty sure you understood what I meant the first time, just wanted to clarify it.

We've got the guy, but there's so many more out there... what good does this one fella do if we kill him or just keep him locked up? Nothing to help us. 20 detained/imprisoned/killed terrorists and 1 set free (using that term loosely) are better than 1 detained/imprisoned/possibly soon to be kill terrorist and 20 out there just waiting for their chance to make their rendition of the big bang.
-SW

I suspect there is more than one reason for handing him to the military. There may be fear he has associates and they do not want him to have any contact that might allow him to pass on any information he may have gained. Many lives are still at risk here.

I may draw your ire here but I'm glad there are those willing to do what it takes to protect us, even if it means bending/breaking the law.

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
The law?
« Reply #87 on: June 11, 2002, 02:03:49 PM »
Originally posted by Elfenwolf

Thrawn, exactly. When WILL the War on Terrorism end?  

When they all are tortured, weeping turds, safe from Johnny Cochran and his $1000 blood bought suit.

:)

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
The law?
« Reply #88 on: June 11, 2002, 02:04:26 PM »

-SW

Is the term "plea bargaining" what you had in mind?
sand

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
The law?
« Reply #89 on: June 11, 2002, 02:05:52 PM »
Originally posted by Creamo

I'm at war with you and towel heads that want to kill me.

Congress has toejam to do with it.

Hehe... you're kinda sexy when you're assertive. :D
sand