Author Topic: Why Allow Fleet Hiding?  (Read 518 times)

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
Why Allow Fleet Hiding?
« on: June 30, 2002, 01:13:43 PM »
Should port captures and fleet acquisitions be reconsidered?  The Knights captured a port but haven't had a fleet the past couple days I've been on.  Supposedly the previous fleet owners hid it somewhere.  

I understand the new port owners get the fleet after it has been sunk.  But if it is hidden somewhere and not sunk, the new port owners get the port but no fleet.

Is this good game play to allow stashing fleets somewhere out of action?  Who would sign up to play a game like that?  Is that fun for anyone, either the side hiding the fleet or the side denied use of it?  Might be cute idea for a few minutes, but soon the hiding tactic just denies a lot of fun and action to all players.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
Why Allow Fleet Hiding?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2002, 01:50:13 PM »
Yeah fleet hiding is annoying but that just means you have to get out there and find it.  Provided the other countries haven't managed someone to stash is WAAAAAY out of the way or worse off map somewhere.  Once the fleet has been found it's really only a matter of getting a few people together to go get it.  Don't think it requires much more organization than say taking the port to begin with.   I guess I just can't think of a better alternative, should be good sports and deliver the fleet to the bad guys when the take our port? or should the fleet get ripped out from whereever it is doing whatever it's doing the moment the port is captured?  Sure fleet hiding is a pain sometimes but I can't think of better realistic alternative.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
Why Allow Fleet Hiding?
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2002, 02:27:01 PM »
the side thats hiding the fleet can't use it , so it's just temp out of the game

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
Why Allow Fleet Hiding?
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2002, 05:05:07 PM »
We could simulate the logging of patrol data with a port master and when a port is captured the the current course settings of its associated fleet are displayed for the team now controlling the port.

Only the course input (the arrows) at the time of capture would show up and not the boats themselves.  The arrows would not be updated after capture.

This would give a starting location for the search and destroy missions.

F.

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
Why Allow Fleet Hiding?
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2002, 05:23:11 PM »
how about after a certain time say 4 hours(?) the owner of the port gets the fleet respawns and they get, UNLESS it gets retaken

Offline Frost

• Copper Member
Why Allow Fleet Hiding?
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2002, 08:06:44 PM »
Hiding a fleet is a cheesy tactic.  If you have a fleet then use it.  And if it is hidden then just before you log for the night, switch over to the country that is hiding it and report back to your country where the CV is.  I've switched a few times in order to tell my country where the CV is.  CV hiding is cheesy but also easy to get around.  That's why it doesn't make sense to try and hide it when it doesn't take much for them to find it.  Use the dang thing before they sink it.

Offline Glasses

• Silver Member
Why Allow Fleet Hiding?
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2002, 08:19:40 PM »
I like Furious's idea seems very reasonable.

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
Why Allow Fleet Hiding?
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2002, 10:14:28 PM »
Thanks for some good ideas.  Probably need to do something, because this weekend the fleet from Port 14 was hidden the better part of two days.  Every time I signed on Saturday and Sunday, when the Knights had the port they did not have the fleet.

Message traffic commented on it, but to my knowledge the fleet was never found, and if it was, certainly not sunk.  

Sorta like "Okay I'll take my toys and go home if you capture my port."

Again the point is fine to be clever, but not to the extreme of disrupting game play.  If your side has enough territory and you don't even need the fleet, it is too easy to just stick it away in some obscure area too far from battle lines.  

It's tough enough to fight through other diminished capabilities without playing Hide The Fleet.  People will game the game, so once again it's up to the game designers to keep Aces High playable enough so players don't log off or quit because the odds are stacked too much against them.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Why Allow Fleet Hiding?
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2002, 10:14:49 PM »
Fleet should show on the map when you have its port.

Offline Blindman

• Zinc Member
Why Allow Fleet Hiding?
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2002, 10:21:23 PM »
heard this sometime back

If a fleet has not been sunk in 2 hours of a port capture
then a new fleet spawns (if fleet is sunk then spawn time is 10 min like now)

Country that lost port will get to keep their fleet till it is sunk (for reset purposes;
after new fleet spawns at port, old fleet no longer counts as a base in need of capture)  

maximum 3 fleets from 1 port (1 for each country that
capured the port and held it for 2 hours)
Always cheat; always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.

Offline whels

• Silver Member
Re: Why Allow Fleet Hiding?
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2002, 12:26:13 PM »
Originally posted by Halo
Should port captures and fleet acquisitions be reconsidered?  The Knights captured a port but haven't had a fleet the past couple days I've been on.  Supposedly the previous fleet owners hid it somewhere.  

I understand the new port owners get the fleet after it has been sunk.  But if it is hidden somewhere and not sunk, the new port owners get the port but no fleet.

Is this good game play to allow stashing fleets somewhere out of action?  Who would sign up to play a game like that?  Is that fun for anyone, either the side hiding the fleet or the side denied use of it?  Might be cute idea for a few minutes, but soon the hiding tactic just denies a lot of fun and action to all players.

look at it this way. P14 cant be held long by the enemy without having A15 since its a 5 mins drive with m3  to retake. with p14 in
original owners hands, CV13 is in danger of going back to them if sunk. when returned to them, A10 would be under constant attack from CV13 since it spawns 15 mins sailing from it.

so every 20 mins we would have to divert pilots to defend A10 from the attack, when we could use them some where else if CV wasnt there. so when rooks lost p14 back to knits we took CV13
out of action, therefore keeping A10 fair safe from attacks, except from a11(long flight).

so with CV13 out of harms way and safe, we could attack other bases and not have to worry about A10 every 15 mins. Knits were told where it was by Rook Traitor over channel 1 several times. and ur 110 scouts got near it, and a group of  low level P47s almost found it late sunday, but my A8 found them 1st :).

just a note, the rook who kept telling CV Pos on channel was was mad cause we didnt let him put it in play, so he even switched to bish to try and sink it.

CV 13  was held near p55/A56 most of the day sunday btw.

whels

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
Why Allow Fleet Hiding?
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2002, 04:31:20 PM »
Thanks for the explanation, Whels.  I appreciate the strategy, and it certainly was executed effectively.  But I think both sides missed the fun and challenge of fighting that fleet.  

Maybe, as some have suggested, there could be a time limit on fleet hiding just as there is on land-based target rejuvenation?  

Playing hide and seek more than an hour or so for resources earned in battle seems to be a definite disincentive.  It's challenging enough to have to kill the fleet after finding it.  

If fleet hiding became more prevalent, would most Aces High players regard that as a positive or a negative?

Offline whels

• Silver Member
Why Allow Fleet Hiding?
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2002, 06:05:01 PM »
Originally posted by Halo
Thanks for the explanation, Whels.  I appreciate the strategy, and it certainly was executed effectively.  But I think both sides missed the fun and challenge of fighting that fleet.  

Maybe, as some have suggested, there could be a time limit on fleet hiding just as there is on land-based target rejuvenation?  

Playing hide and seek more than an hour or so for resources earned in battle seems to be a definite disincentive.  It's challenging enough to have to kill the fleet after finding it.  

If fleet hiding became more prevalent, would most Aces High players regard that as a positive or a negative?

Id rather have fleet returned to port after a givin time(4 hours or so) after it has been recaptured by the original owners. would make the enemy use , cause they will lose it no matter what.

no side note, if an enemy take the port from original owners, there is no time limi, cause its thier fleet originally. the time limit
would only come into effect when enemy own CV and port is
retaken by original owners.

whels

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Why Allow Fleet Hiding?
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2002, 10:16:52 PM »
Originally posted by whels

so with CV13 out of harms way and safe, we could attack other bases and not have to worry about A10 every 15 mins. Knits were told where it was by Rook Traitor over channel 1 several times. and ur 110 scouts got near it, and a group of  low level P47s almost found it late sunday, but my A8 found them 1st :).

just a note, the rook who kept telling CV Pos on channel was was mad cause we didnt let him put it in play, so he even switched to bish to try and sink it.

CV 13  was held near p55/A56 most of the day sunday btw.

whels

The rook was me and I'll gladly do the same again.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2002, 12:06:10 PM by Sandman »
sand

Offline whels

• Silver Member
Re: Re: Re: Why Allow Fleet Hiding?
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2002, 09:27:33 AM »
Originally posted by Sandman_SBM

The rook was me and I'll gladly do the same again.

because u didnt get to command the fleet like u wanted, u betrayed ur country and ur squad by blabbin on channel 1. then u further disgraced ur squad by going bish and trying to sink the fleet.   If i was ur CO ur donut would out like a lite.

oh and THANKS for the 6 easy kills while u tried to get the CV.

whels