Author Topic: realistic flight sim or arcade?  (Read 229 times)

Offline viking73

• Nickel Member
realistic flight sim or arcade?
« on: July 01, 2002, 08:07:44 PM »
It seems AH is trying to make this a realistic flight sim with what is seen in the effort put into terrains and hardware. I agree and a good job you've done. So why not make the flying abilities of the planes real? If you are then there are several bugs that need to be addressed for the gameplay to  be improved. It's nice to have all these new planes but the entire physics of the game needs to be looked at again.

We have all seen planes that make seemingly impossible moves. We know this and in fact we use these loopholes in the realism to make the planes do what they wouldn't if we were to take a real aircraft of these types up. A pilot in a spit can somehow sustain a 9g turn and come out fine, but someone in a la7 does a 5-7 g turn and blacks out to death. We've all raked planes with bullet fire and nothing happens yet get a wing knocked of by one hit. Buffs fall apart too easy. More of the systems of a bomber need messed up than wings falling off.

I'm not saying the game is horrible or that my flying doesn't need improved. A good sim always keeps re-evaluating according to the results seen in the basics. Get some people who have actually flown some of these planes and get them to say yes you can do that ...no, this you can't do.  Is it fps, connectivity or something else? Be nice if there was a page that had your explaination on all these factors in gameplay.
:)

T2Maw
80th FS {OM-KNIGHTS} Kommando Nowotny {FSO}/{CCS}
S.A.P.P.
Air Warrior 1996, Aces High 2000
Skin Designer

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2002, 08:30:24 PM »
I seriously doubt that the blackout effects are different depending on the plane you're in.

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2002, 09:40:57 PM »
Seeing as HiTech has flown a P-51, I think we could ask him.

F.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2002, 10:08:00 PM »
No offense to HiTech. He obviously has more experience than the rest of us in P-51 Mustangs. Nonetheless, his few joyrides can't even compare to the type of flying WWII pilots had.

Fighter pilots are in peak physical condition for a reason. It's a physical job and if they aren't properly conditioned, they just might lose.

WRT to blackouts, you'll find arguments for and against. Some will say that it's an effective way of limiting pilot effectiveness and is more realistic. Others argue that the only pilots that black out are the ones that are out of shape.
sand

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2002, 10:12:41 PM »
Originally posted by Furious
Seeing as HiTech has flown a P-51, I think we could ask him.

F.

hehe... whaddya wanna bet HiTech tried riding the edge of a stall at 300ft or diving past compression and using Alt-X to pull out? :D
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Samm

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2002, 10:18:29 PM »
Nice troll .

Offline Otto

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cris.com/~ziggy2/
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2002, 11:36:09 AM »
When I fly it's a "realistic flight sim."   When you fly it's an Arcade.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Re: realistic flight sim or arcade?
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2002, 11:52:37 AM »
Originally posted by viking73
Get some people who have actually flown some of these planes and get them to say yes you can do that ...no, this you can't do.  
:)
[/b]

[sarcasm]Well, considering as mentioned above, that HiTech has flown the P51, Robert Shaw has flown AH, and about 6 members of the community HAVE their own Warbirds, not counting the number of Commerical pilots, military pilots, and the fact that the USAF in Co. Springs has 80 accounts that they use for part of their cirriculum for training basic ATA combat, yeah, I guess you could say we need more of these kind of people in the sim.[/sarcasm]

If it smells like bait, it probably is...

« Last Edit: July 02, 2002, 12:25:13 PM by Ripsnort »

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2002, 12:50:15 PM »
Feel like Rodney Dangerfield (no respect) was shaw in the other p51 I was dog fighting.

Am I the worlds athority on dogfighting prop planes, no way.

But I do have almost 20 hours of real tail chasing.

Anyway all pilots are exatly the same in all planes, i.e. blackout effects happen at the same time.

And vicking your right you have a lot to learn.

Offline DmdNexus

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2002, 12:55:20 PM »
Original post has lot of opinion and no facts.

viking73, before posting your ill-informed armchair BS opinion about what is real and what is not.

Strap into a real plane at Fighter Pilots USA or Combat USA

http://www.incredible-adventures.com/fpusa.html
http://www.fighterpilotsusa.com/

Experience a real ACM environment, pulling 6g maneuvers against real pilots.

Go for the "try and clean my clock" option and then come back to us and say AH is not as as realistic as a computer sim can get.

Offline KG45

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2002, 02:38:05 PM »
AH is a 'simulation', it just has to be real in your mind.

try WWIIOL if you want some great arcade action, seeing as how the flight models for all their a/c are basically the same.
all you fascists, you're bound to lose...

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2002, 03:05:57 PM »
>But I do have almost 20 hours of real tail chasing.

You need to get out more.  What are you a programer?  
:D

Wab
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2002, 03:11:19 PM »
Originally posted by AKWabbit
>But I do have almost 20 hours of real tail chasing.

You need to get out more.  What are you a programer?  
:D

Wab

I wonder if that was all 20 hours in one shot, or spread over a few years?  :D:D