Author Topic: Stick stirring.  (Read 453 times)

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
Stick stirring.
« on: September 23, 2001, 02:25:00 PM »
OK, now I've seen it for real.  I'd like to thank AGO for showing me how it is done, and even for acting like he "kicked my ass" when in fact I got tired of chasing his warping, stickstirring no-talent bellybutton around.  

To those that I doubted were telling the truth about this "stick-stirring" stuff, I apoligize.

Offline minus

• Nickel Member
Stick stirring.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2001, 02:54:00 PM »
i see  many warpers   and they will warp and geting big mounth ,why a hell SERVER dont give  smal symbol above icon when player are notorious bad conect,   the worst thing  warpers fly 50 caliber planes usualy  , they know  why  :p

is it realy just a game  !  :(

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
Stick stirring.
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2001, 03:29:00 PM »
I had a bad case of what i thought was stick stirring or warping the other day but i was assured by the other player his net status was fine.I think the Net in general is playing up at the moment because i seem to recall skuzzy saying something the other day.

Stick stirring only seems to have started recently. in here in the last few weeks ive seen it a few times and mainly on spitfires but it may just be the net has been jumpy or the host is having hiccups.

then again it seems to happen just as i get to within 400 yards! seems far too convenient to me.

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
Stick stirring.
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2001, 03:30:00 PM »
Blow your nose Urchin, the snot is running down on your big jutting out bottom lip.

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
Stick stirring.
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2001, 03:47:00 PM »
I had one guy accuse me of this a couple of days ago.I was flying my SpitV when a high P51 swooped on me.I put the nose nose and leveled at 375 mph.I saw him coming in fast on my six so I killed engine,applied full rudder and watched my speed drop to 200 as I barrel rolled onto his 6 and shot his wing a bit as he overshot.He accused me of stick stirring what ever the hell that is..???
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Stick stirring.
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2001, 04:00:00 PM »
Stick stirring is pretty difficult in AH, as rapid stick movements will bring up the dreaded "dont move your stick so rapidly" warning, accompanied by 10 seconds of unresponsive controls.

I think what is felt to be stick stirring is more often just lag and bad connect issues.

dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
Stick stirring.
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2001, 04:08:00 PM »
Dago, stick-stirring is the same movement you do when you calibrate your stick (full circles). It wont give the dreaded message.

Ive seen it done a lot. I even tried it once to see how the heck such a manouver could make the enemy miss my plane, even when I was barely changing alt and barely moving in the horizontal. Amazingly, it does work as advertised, people will shoot at you and their bullets zip all around ur cockpit, very,very few hits. And mind you, this is in a fat-assed P-38 no moron can miss at d400 or less!

I mean, WOW!   :eek:

Offline Fariz

• Silver Member
      • http://9giap.warriormage.com
Stick stirring.
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2001, 05:45:00 PM »
Easy, put your aim not at him, but where he will be. Unless he warps he cant move it too unpredictably.

Fariz

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Stick stirring.
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2001, 09:49:00 PM »
Okay Tac, and what does the enemy see your plane doing when you stick stir?

dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
      • Streak Eagle - Stephen's Website
Stick stirring.
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2001, 09:56:00 PM »
What does the enemy see when you stick stir? does it cause something that looks like warping? if so, that's a bad limitation to have in a combat flight sim, since violent movements are exactly what you should be doing to break someones track.

I would think moving the stick in circles in a game would have little advantage, since the movements would tend to cancel out and keep your plane going in a relatively straight predictable path. Does this take advantage of net lag or something like that?
i5(4690K) MAXIMUS VII HERO(32 Gb RAM) GTX1080(8 Gb RAM) Win10 Home (64-bit)
OUR MISSION: PROTECT THE FORCE, GET THE PICTURES, ...AND KILL MIGS!

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
Stick stirring.
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2001, 10:19:00 PM »
Yes, it essentially makes the enemy airplane "jump" from one spot to another as your FE cannot update his position fast enough.  That said, I'm thinking that he was laggy as well, or he wouldn't have been warping as much as he did.

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
Stick stirring.
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2001, 11:31:00 PM »
cc. when you stick stir your plane rolls and displaces itself over your screen.

Most times what you see is a 190 that rolls and has its topside banked to the left then the plane suddenly warps a few yds to the right while retaining its same position (that is , banked to the right). The pilot is NOT banking and pulling nose down to get that effect, when they do that the plane's nose and tail dips accordingly, in the stick stirring what happens is what urchin describes above.

Another kind of warp roll is the kind that a P-38 can do when its missing a wingtip. You have to pull the stick Up and down while applying rudder and flaps to keep the thing from losing control or augering. When in this situation, many enemy cons have tried to attack me. I cant even turn at ALL, the best I can do is wobble up and down and hope to throw their aim off. Since I have to apply the rudder and pull stick up and down and to whatever side the missing wing is, the plane changes vectors very erratically. The red guy's FE cant update so quick and he generally sees me flying straight and wobbing up and down a bit then ZIP  my plane suddenly is a few feet to one side and 100 ft or so above or below the position I was before the ZIP.

Its not lag on my end or his, it seems the FE dont update so many inputs. This is my guess.

190's do it a lot (their great roll rate is bound to be the culprit  :) ), but any plane can do it. Some players have even become experts at it.

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
Stick stirring.
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2001, 12:49:00 AM »
Oh yeah, theres a lot of lag and big mouths out there.
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
      • http://www.bombardieraerospace.com
Stick stirring.
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2001, 01:23:00 AM »
I used to see this a lot. I have a really bad ISP and I see warps, discoes, and used to see what I thought was stick stirring, frequently.

I use Win98 SE, and recently visited regedit.com to get information on optimizing my connection. It required some registry editing. Since then, I have not seen any of this. Warps are usually at ranges well beyond gun range now, and I only have trouble hitting planes that are rating high G at high aspect. Whatever discoes I was experiencing disappeared too, except for the short period that Nimda reared its ugly hide.

I would love to go to the TA and have someone present proof that stick stirring works.   :D

:cool:

Offline minus

• Nickel Member
Stick stirring.
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2001, 11:58:00 AM »
AH model on realy sily way the stall  on adverser FE , and now imagine if you got stal on 1 wing when moving to hard and the dumb server  will show the turn like stal flip flop on oponent FE  .........

and i see that many time