Author Topic: WW2OL, Take a Look at the New Textures  (Read 970 times)

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
WW2OL, Take a Look at the New Textures
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2002, 12:22:11 AM »
Hardcase....

Call me when they release vs. 4.0 :D
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline bloodstain

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2002, 02:49:37 AM »
WWII is just eye candy, have you ever tried to fly in there? Its horrible plus you cant even look back in your cockpit. No thankyou, I would rather pay the $15 dollars for good game play then $10 for good looks.:D

Offline Samm

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2002, 05:53:13 AM »
Funny thing, the graphics in OFP are more detailed and yet even when I have my view range set to 2000meters in OFP my frame rate is much higher than what it is in WWIIonline, offline .

Offline Hortlund

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2002, 06:28:11 AM »
Hardcase:
Will wwiiol ever be a free download-free two week trial-pay via credit card?

Offline KG45

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2002, 11:20:36 AM »
you can forget about realistic flight modeling in wwiiol. they don't care about planes. contrary to what they might tell you, its an squad based infantry game, with planes and armor thrown in for flavor. basically, quake.

so you would think they would improve the infantry play with a few neccesities like smoke grenades and binoculares, pivot mounted heavy mgs and off map artilliary.

instead thet give you nicer lawns, and steeper system requirements. :rolleyes:
all you fascists, you're bound to lose...

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2002, 12:24:49 PM »
When they do a 2 week freebie, you simply d/l the sim, and use some Generic Rat supplied CD key code to start the account.
Reason you cant look backward in your AC is cause things like pilot armor and seat rest prevent a 180 degree Linda Blair look. Sim vs Arcade, don't ya know?

Blurb about new video cars is not quite being read correctly. Rats are coding for DX 8.1. With this in mind, the voodoo 3 and such which may never have 8.1 compliant drivers are no longer being supported(coded to be usable). Some ppl will simply have to join the 21st century if that want all the bells and whistles. Rats have said that these cards may well work, but they are not going to code for them.

Turd..it improves every release. Does take getting the max out of low end systems to fly. PPL with very marginal systems still enjoy the Infantry portion. If all you ever want to do is fly, that requires the most of a machine. If you can stomach doing some ground war, you can find a lot of fun for your 33 cents a day, ever with a 500 celeron.

Played the beta last night, and it does look nice, new weapons etc.

hard

Offline Braz

• Zinc Member
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2002, 12:50:53 PM »
What a bad reputation!

Gonna be tuff to get players to go thru that hell again HC. The bottom line is things are still broken with gameplay. Please don't compare wwiiol with sims, it is the true arcade game, called Quank. AH is a complete, mature simulation that offers players a NECK, and a 3D cockpit. Skillful programing. We can't flip tanks with our gear. Poor programming that. Arcade griefing for an arcade game. Enjoy!

Offline KG45

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2002, 12:54:46 PM »
sim vs. arcade?

granted wwiiol has nice graphics and good squad based infantry play.

but it isn't even close in the 'flight sim' catagory. forget comparisons there, ok?. it's just not happening.

the wwiiol view system is typical 'head swiveling in top of stick', found in lots of flight sims. AH's view system models the more real fact that pilots could lean left and right and foward, and look back over their shoulders.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2002, 01:16:14 PM by KG45 »
all you fascists, you're bound to lose...

Offline Sox62

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2002, 01:09:43 PM »
After paying $39.99 for it when it was released,it will be a cold day in Hell before CRS gets another dime of my money.

Hard to believe that rotting carcass on the freeway still has a pulse.

Offline DmdBT

• Copper Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2002, 02:28:56 PM »
I can see a bit of hypocrisy on our (AH fans) side. We are quick to point out the lacking flight model of WW2OL but what can be said of the AH modelling of ground combat? Quite laughable at best in comparison to WW2OL is it not?

Lonz

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2002, 02:39:17 PM »
DmdBT-

I don't care about the ground war- if I did, I would still be a WWIIOL subscriber (just cancelled my account). I do care about the air war, and it just isn't happening for me there. I don't have a problem really with anything but the damage model, and right now it is a one-plane sim because of it. I think a lot of the LW pilots that think things are perfect might understand a bit better if they had the mgs and the Allies had the cannon, but they are quite happy with the status quo. The Rats always deny anything is wrong as an intitial reaction, and don't seem interested in looking at it. It was at the point where it became difficult to find opposition in the air, and when I did it was either ridiculously easy to kill and escape (in a 109 or 110) or frustrating and decidedly un-fun to go for PKs on very small targets that could not be otherwise killed (in a Hawk or Hurri).

If that's real, it ain't real fun.

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2002, 02:55:40 PM »
Originally posted by Weave
Hey Hardcase, I've got a P4, 1.3ghz, with 512 PC800RDRam, and a G-force 128meg video card, and I've got a DSL connection. Think I can get maybe 15fps flying? Are they there yet?

The other day I went and got a Geforce4 64meg card (wish I would have gotten the 124 meg but they said they didn't carry them anymore).

I've got a 1.2 gig AMD wit 512 pc133 ram.  I went from the geforce 2 mx 32 meg card.  Before I was flying in 800x600 16 bit res with ALL graphics options turned off or to thier lowest setting.  I'd do 'ok' flying in a clear area and used to get 20-30fps in small battles.  That would drop to 10-15 fps in large battles or around large cities.

now

I play at 1024x768 32 bit res (this stops the alpha banding on the buildings and trees :) ) with all graphics options turned on excetp - shadows still off, texture reduction is still on,  4xFSAA works but it gets down to 15fps around cities so I turned it off.  my frame rates are from 30-60 fps in small battles and 20-30 fps in large battles or around large cities.  Every so often it dips down to 18fps or so when it's loading new textures.   This made all the diference in the world for flying!  I can track targets with no problem now what so ever.  And I can actually see ground units now (inf and aaa guns) to kill them :) there's LOTS of inf to kill now too!  It's easy to find groups of 20+ infantry hiding in trees and buildings, the poor bastards.

Inf is real fun now too, but it's SLOW paced most of the time.  I'll climb a tree and stay there for the whole evening sometimes finaly logging off at bed time when I've sniped 20 or 30 inf :)

sounds are 100% better now too :) they still need work but I can testify that it will scare the crap out of you hearing a bf110 making a 20mm strafing run on your group of inf ;)  or hearing a group of stukas turn on thier sirens on thier dive bomb run at your base.

This game in now way competes with AH or WB in my opinion.  If your a lone wolf type person WW2 can suck bad.  I did a mission with a squad last night that lasted about 2 hours before I got whacked reconning a town :)

It's a really good game now,  where it should have been at release.....

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2002, 04:52:05 PM »
I have an XP1800+ (@1900+ speed)
512mb SDRam
g4mx 64mb DDR(28.32)
XP Pro

I get 55 fps offline at 1024x768x32bpp in 109 cockpit engine running
I get 20-35 fps online in the same situation
I get 10-15 fps in a furball
I get major frame rate pauses in flight...
I get gfx glitches related to zbuffer no matter what settings i use for video

I spend my money where i enjoy the game/sim... AH

If i was only in it for the tanks, i'd play ww2ol, but hey i'm not...

SKurj

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2002, 05:01:27 PM »
Kieran,

It's easy to escape only because you can't be killed from 700 meters and the icons arent so clear :>

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2002, 05:41:22 PM »
Do you really want to discuss the diddlyed sight they put in french tanks and AT ?

Or the real state of the art armor model ?