Author Topic: WW2OL, Take a Look at the New Textures  (Read 965 times)

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
WW2OL, Take a Look at the New Textures
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2002, 05:29:02 PM »
Originally posted by Mighty1
Fanboys go away!! [/B]

Well what if we like both games?  Do I still have to go away?

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2002, 06:44:36 PM »
Fishu ah is nothing but a game. The main arena is not about history. I have had an average as high as 15 - 20 kills an hour in ah.

However if I just drove a tank for 30 min to get to a fight to be snipe by a 109e with mgff I would quit.

There is, atleast in my time there, not a sustainable level of action to keep me interested. Udie sitting in a tree all night is a perfect example.

Ah isnt, atleast for me, about base capture. Its about a2a combat.

I can pop into ah for an hour and have some great fun. in wwiiol I dont find that.

Is wwiiol supposed to "set the stage" in the virtual world to represent the war in France? Thats what I was lead to believe. Has it accomplished that? or is flag/base capture on a grander scale?

Can you see this capture model being repeated in an Eastern front version of wwiiol?

AH is a game designed around Air Combat. Period gamey in a lot of respects but its made up for by the level of entertainment. I called my wb account because I only ever saw about 20 folks in there when I flew. Completely boring flying around blind hoping to run into 1 of umm.

I did know about attrition etc and think thats great. Is the strat system in place? Is there a way to hit / effect strat? I only ever saw he-111 being used as low level tactical bombers. Are there any strategic targets for the he-111?

I'll keep watching and waiting 1.67 looks good but so did every other version since the release. :)

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2002, 08:16:44 PM »
Umm.. WWIIOL "is just a game" too, there where AH is.

You're obviously putting too much requirements for WWIIOL, more than for other games.
It is a game and theres no such game where compromises aren't done.
The biggest reason for compromises are the players.

There isn't many players who would enjoy of 'one life', or who would care to watch for their lives, or who would object to not to something "unhistorical" if it works.... and so on.

So, you don't like WWIIOL, fine, but at least keep the ranting in reasonable levels and keep in mind that theres people who likes it.
At least I prefer WWIIOL over AH, as im bored of AH... it's just boring air quake simply said.

WWIIOL is currently one of it's kind, theres no other game which incorporates as many aspects of war.
So it's been quite a challenge for the dev. team and requires alot of compromises.
Got to respect them for that... many others could have failed miserably and you won't see another of it's kind for a long time.
(or even close.. thanks to those gutless game publishers, who keeps on "do what is proven to work the best" line)

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2002, 02:07:26 AM »
to me its a game where one spends most of their time being bored.

I am not ranting I am replying to the fan bois who keep saying how much better it has gotten from its release.  Could it have gotten much worse?

I was also asked what I would do differently then the current capture the flag.

Its not I like I turn up on the wwiiol board and tell how much better ah has become or linking screenshots.

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2002, 02:38:07 AM »
Wotan,

Mind I remind you that this is offtopic forum and people can create threads basically of everything they want.
So if you want to keep in such serious attitude discussions, then go to discuss in AH related forums :)

No reason to ruin someones good intentions by ranting with invalid arguments of the game that some other might like.

Offline JimBear

• Nickel Member
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2002, 07:45:16 AM »
Originally posted by Weave
Hey Hardcase, I've got a P4, 1.3ghz, with 512 PC800RDRam, and a G-force 128meg video card, and I've got a DSL connection. Think I can get maybe 15fps flying? Are they there yet?

hehe  I have a P4 1.8ghz with 1gb PC800RDRam a Ge4 128mb card and cable and never got over 12fps while flying and usually 5-7 when another plane showed up.  Yup actually bought the CD ($9.95) and tried it online last week. Two days is enough to know that it is still not much better from when I was playing it in beta. Prettier in ways, but if tanks is what I liked, Panzer Elite still beats it hands down.

Offline Mighty1

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2002, 08:22:21 AM »
Fanboy= One who does not see faults in a game and attacks anyone who does no matter how crappy the game is or the company that wrote it!
I have been reborn a new man!

Notice I never said a better man.

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2002, 08:56:02 AM »
Originally posted by Mighty1
Fanboy= One who does not see faults in a game and attacks anyone who does no matter how crappy the game is or the company that wrote it!

the only personal attacks I see are coming from those who hate the game....

Offline Ossie

• Copper Member
« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2002, 01:30:38 PM »
JimBear I am sure you've heard this a million times and it really doesn't help you at all, but my system (P3-800 512SDRAM, 32MB Riva TnT2, resolution at 800x600x32) gets around 20fps in flight with other planes around, unless I am over a large combat area like Antwerp. FPS is weird.

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2002, 01:48:18 PM »
Anywhere in my post that even hints at my being a Fan-Bois? I have been pointing out, not the faults which it has, but the "stuff" that is working.

As for posting your specs and your fps cause they are lower than you expected, be assured, that ppl who are getting good fps know you should be getting more. With fps that low and not spiking, you probably are running the bare essentials to free up memory, but with that machine you should be getting more and that implies you are not running High Performance settings, ,with a lot of texture bells and whistles turned off, at no more than 1024x768x32 resolution. Post your settings as well as your rig and then the fps post will have some meaning.

I have a 2100xp with 512 megs 333mhz DDR mem, Leadtek Geforce 4600 and a 40 gig ata100 HD, etc.......on cable,
and still run WW2OL with those High Performance settings.

15 fps on the a 1.3..i got better with a 1.3amd 512 meg geforce 2 gts, but then again I havent heard your settings. Without knowing settings FPS/per Rig have no meaning.
FPS before Eye Candy

hardcase

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2002, 03:21:05 PM »
Ossie,

wow.. thats one very old video card.
With some gf2 mx, radeon I ...  you could get more than twice the FPS.
I know, since I had nearly comparable system with TNT2, which from I went to Radeon.
in AH, near by smokes, difference was huuuge.