Author Topic: Iraq (why should we attack?)  (Read 800 times)

Offline Cobra

• Nickel Member
Iraq (why should we attack?)
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2002, 11:55:40 AM »
Hmmm...Dowding,

I never stated you didn't claim that the ultimate goal of the Falklands was to retain the rights to it's supposed oil reserves.  So, you READ my post again :)

I just said that your claim to sovereignty over those islands is a stretch and an especially long stretch to justify that little cruise your Navy took.  When the closest thing to a native population tried to go there, ole Maggy didn't like it.  I will admit that the US does the same thing, but I at least know it's a hyprocritical stance at best.  And am willing to state as much. Or didn't you READ the part in my post about us being "invited" to help the Kuwaitis.

And at the very least, unbunch those panties of yours.....your head is gonna explode!  :)

Cobra

Edit..Actually Dowding, nationalities aside, I think we agree on some the basic premises, just not when it is applied to our "team".  We can always find a hook to justify war.  Hell we have to because of how utterly futile and destructive war is, abliet neccessary at times (i.e. WWII, etc.)

I am no expert on the Falklands by any means, but I do have a little better than passing knowledge of the subject.  I was in college at the time of the conflict and had to do a college term paper on the subject.  The backdrop of the paper was over whether it was morally right for the US to tacitly support GB on this or not.  And the legitimacy of GB's claims to ownership in the first place.  Understand it was while it was still in progress, and I was a bit more idealistic at the time.  Age tends to bring more pragmatism which isn't always a good thing.  What sucks is the folks that gave their lives on both sides.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2002, 12:08:09 PM by Cobra »

Offline majic

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2002, 12:05:12 PM »
"Nonetheless, they will eventually have to make a case for a "Just War" before the shooting starts...... " - Toad

That's what I've been looking for.  It seems that the media has conceded that a war is a forgone conclusion, but I have yet to hear the government make a case for it beyond calling them "evil."  I thought maybe I had misssed something in the news, and in fact maybe I have.  Has the gov't laid out it's case anywhere?

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2002, 12:14:00 PM »
Nah.. lets nuke Paris. Dowdings head nothwithstanding. ;)
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2002, 12:33:23 PM »
Originally posted by Dowding
Curval - who do you support again? ;)

Arsenal...and whomever is playing Manchester United.:cool:
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2002, 12:39:08 PM »
Originally posted by majic
Has the gov't laid out it's case anywhere? [/B]

If I recall, two weeks ago (and possibly earlier) there were some hearing before congress where policy wonks and regional experts testified before the Congress on the need for regime change in Iraq, however I have not heard anyone report that they were convinced to move right now. Sed. Joe Biden (Chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations committee) was on Meet the press just over a week ago, and he seemed to indicate that he felt that we would move forward sooner or later, and that the only question was whether or not we would go it alone. But the government has not made the case to the public as of this time

-Sikboy
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2002, 01:01:25 PM »
I think it is all smoke and mirrors...

When it is done, they will be rolling out the red carpet and begging us to come to in...and make something of their screwed up country. This admin with the medias help is playing them like a fiddle....
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2002, 02:25:49 PM »
My guess is you'll start hearing the "details" of the "case" when the troops are on the move and action is actually imminent.

They better have what they need.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline majic

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2002, 03:43:35 PM »
Thanks all for the info and opinions.  I guess I'll just have to wait and see....