Author Topic: The Real Eve  (Read 3194 times)

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
The Real Eve
« Reply #105 on: August 26, 2002, 03:26:08 PM »
The fun/sad part is that you dont realize that you are clinging to science the same way others are clinging to their religion. You wont find any more answers from science than you will find in the Bible. Somehow that escapes you.

Once you realize that science does not provide answers, only descriptions or observations, maybe then you will realize that just as you accuse others of taking the easy route, by putting their faith in God, you yourself are also taking the easy route, but in another direction, you are just putting your faith in science.

What escapes you is that "science" required NO FAITH at all. I can and am encouraged to question everything as long as I have a contrary hypothesis and I'm willing to try and prove it.

Religion encourages me to STOP Questioning and accept the word on faith. Big difference.

Offline Hortlund3

• Zinc Member
The Real Eve
« Reply #106 on: August 26, 2002, 03:26:30 PM »

And science is exactly as old as humankind itself.

Math maybe... but that's only a portion of science. They weren't exactly examining what a tree lived off of... it was taken care of God, remember?
-SW

Oh come on. Take a look at the list of inventions from 35000BC and forward. Start with the spear.

Offline Hortlund3

• Zinc Member
The Real Eve
« Reply #107 on: August 26, 2002, 03:27:27 PM »
Originally posted by midnight Target

What escapes you is that "science" required NO FAITH at all. I can and am encouraged to question everything as long as I have a contrary hypothesis and I'm willing to try and prove it.

Religion encourages me to STOP Questioning and accept the word on faith. Big difference.

What religion are you talking about now?

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
The Real Eve
« Reply #108 on: August 26, 2002, 03:28:35 PM »
Inventions necessary for life... versus examining the foundations of life.

C'mon Hortlund, you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

We aren't here saying, "God invented Earth", "No, scientists invented Earth"... we're talking about the foundation of life, reality and beyond reality.

Absolutely nothing to do with creating fire by rubbing two sticks together, or forging the first sword to do battle with.

Geez.
-SW

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
The Real Eve
« Reply #109 on: August 26, 2002, 03:29:19 PM »
Originally posted by AKSWulfe
I'll bet you 80 years ago, you would of said that we couldn't create life.

Ah, were do you think babies come from?

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
The Real Eve
« Reply #110 on: August 26, 2002, 03:29:22 PM »
Originally posted by Hortlund3

You freely accept God, and don't question his existence, yes?

Then all religions would be the answer.
-SW

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
The Real Eve
« Reply #111 on: August 26, 2002, 03:31:02 PM »
lmao!!!!

Yeah, sure...
"First there was nothing, then it exploded" <-- Big Bang theory.
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
The Real Eve
« Reply #112 on: August 26, 2002, 03:35:32 PM »

Same one you were talking about.... ;)

Offline Hortlund3

• Zinc Member
The Real Eve
« Reply #113 on: August 26, 2002, 03:39:22 PM »
Originally posted by AKSWulfe
Errr... okay... whatever, that's the most basic explanation I've ever seen. If that's where you think the end the knowledge of those subatomic particles ends... maybe you need to take some college level science classes.

But I digress, your understanding of science is apparently quite minimal if you think the only thing a scientist can tell you to answer your "why" questions is "larger mass attracts smaller mass". It's quite a bit more than that.

Feel free to give a better answer. I'm saying that Gravity= large mass attracts smaller mass (well, they are attracting eachother really)

There's far more theories than just that one. But hey, the world was created in 8 God days. As opposed to human days which would be a couple trillion years... with no mention of many things that have happened in earth's past. Dinosaurs, ice age, cave men... yeah, the Bible has it so much more believable.

As I have been trying to tell you, I cannot give you my faith, you have to search for it yourself. I'm sorry. But I can tell you this though, the answers you are looking for cannot be found in science.

Wanna bet? The bible doesn't explain gravitational fields to me, orbits, matter, the basics of everything around us that we can't see but we experience everyday. While science DOES explain that. Well, atleast it does when you actually study it all.

No, science does not explain that. Try to think about it for a while and you will understand that.

And how thick do you think the Bible would be if it would include explanations to the entire creation? I mean get a grip.

Once you realise that your grasp of science is only on the surface, you will understand that it's not simply taking what science has explained and believing it. But actually researching it and putting 2 and 2 together.

I'm gonna stick my neck out here and say that no one has more than a superficial understanding of "science". Since the word "science" covers everything from bilology to math. Be that as it may, I'm still right about science and the why-question. If it helps, try to approach the question on a philosophical level.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
The Real Eve
« Reply #114 on: August 26, 2002, 05:21:28 PM »
Since the word "science" covers everything from bilology to math. Be that as it may, I'm still right about science and the why-question. If it helps, try to approach the question on a philosophical level.

Well there's the problem. Science is not defined by any specific discipline. It is a method of study not an area of study. Scientific philosophy if you will, is a very specific set of rules that define the way something is studied.

1. Observe some aspect of the universe.

2. Invent a tentative description, called a hypothesis, that is consistent with what you have observed.

3. Use the hypothesis to make predictions.

4. Test those predictions by experiments or further observations and modify the hypothesis in the light of your results.

5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until there are no discrepancies between theory and experiment and/or observation

That's really it. No more no less.

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
The Real Eve
« Reply #115 on: August 26, 2002, 05:26:50 PM »
speaking about theories of 'reality', gravity, etc..

here's another one that is pretty intruiging.

Flux Theory

it's a Grand Unification Theory

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
The Real Eve
« Reply #116 on: August 26, 2002, 05:35:20 PM »
For the bible crowd... answer me this:

WHO CREATED GOD?

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
The Real Eve
« Reply #117 on: August 26, 2002, 05:38:13 PM »
As I have been trying to tell you, I cannot give you my faith, you have to search for it yourself. I'm sorry. But I can tell you this though, the answers you are looking for cannot be found in science.

So what you're saying is that you don't follow the Bible? What do you follow to achieve this faith in a supreme being? Serious question.

No, science does not explain that. Try to think about it for a while and you will understand that.

I have, but apparently you are hitting this from an entirely different dimension than I am therefore I have no idea what you are talking about.

And how thick do you think the Bible would be if it would include explanations to the entire creation? I mean get a grip.

Dunno, it was never attempted. You are of course assuming the Bible isn't a bunch of rantings from crazy individuals amassed together. I see a lot of crazies in DC with their own scripture written on cardboard... will I one day see it all compiled into another religions Holy Bible? I'm serious, think about that for a second.

I'm gonna stick my neck out here and say that no one has more than a superficial understanding of "science". Since the word "science" covers everything from bilology to math. Be that as it may, I'm still right about science and the why-question. If it helps, try to approach the question on a philosophical level.

I see.. well on the philosophical level I assume you mean "why we are here"...

Question for you, do you think there IS an answer to that? What if we're here because we are, and there is no reason for it?

There, that's about as philosphical as I can get.

I'm not trying to convert you, or convince you I'm right.. I'm just arguing with you because you're arguing with me, and because it kills time at work.
-SW

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
The Real Eve
« Reply #118 on: August 26, 2002, 05:55:56 PM »
For the science crowd...answer me this:

WHO CREATED THE UNIVERSE?

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
The Real Eve
« Reply #119 on: August 26, 2002, 05:56:38 PM »
For the bbs crowd...answer me this: