Author Topic: Yankee  (Read 1230 times)

Offline Barney Fife

• Copper Member
Yankee
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2002, 01:19:35 PM »
 Now let's get something crystal clear around here!

There's a new sheriff in town, and I ain't gonna take any lolly gaggin' abouts the law.  I'll be keepin' my eye on you trouble makers!

Now where'd I put my bullet.......?

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Yankee
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2002, 01:42:45 PM »
Assume HTC drops a major ad campaign in a "new" market that online MM Flight Sims haven't really addressed as yet. Assume further that this market consists primarily of adults (say 25-60 years old) that have a proven interest in aviation and particularly WW2 aviation.

Now this campaign draws a large number of folks that do not normally play online games into the 2 week trial.

Are those folks going to know about "squelch" before the Ch 1 drivel affects their decision to stay or go?

HTC's question is.... how do we make sure some relatively few  bad apples don't ruin the experience for potential new customers and make our drive to attract new players a waste of money?

I think we're all partners in shaping this community when we're online. So the question is what do you want it to be? What do you expect to see on Ch1? What are we doing to improve the experience?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Yankee
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2002, 01:58:38 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
What are we doing to improve the experience?

Shoot their tulips down. :D

Online Shane

• Platinum Member
Yankee
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2002, 02:08:17 PM »
Originally posted by SUPERFLY
I doesn't matter if anyone from HTC is blue, green, grey, or polka dot.  If we give you a warning, pay it heed, or suffer the consequences.  Just because we are not speaking in blue does not give you the right to disrespect us, or anyone in the arena for that matter.  It's not a hard concept to figure out, and it is no different in any other business.

not everyone knows who you guys are .

it wouldn't be hard for any of you to go into cyan text and/or id yourselves as an employee of HTC when you're trying to use your authority would it?

this is a point that was made, that's all.

Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
Yankee
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2002, 02:08:19 PM »
WHACK!!!!  upside the head of those baby seals... :D

Offline -sudz-

• Nickel Member
Yankee
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2002, 02:23:35 PM »
This probably isn't a great idea but I'll toss it out anyway:

When a person signs up an account, automatically put them into a "newbie" channel and disallow channel 1.   The newbie channel would be monitored by trainers or volunteers to help with the inevitable newbie questions and set the tone and expectations for graduating into Channel 1 privledges.

All other channels would still be available - mission, private, squad, etc so that the sense of community will remain.  Six calls would still be possible.  The only shortcoming I can see is that it would take more effort to an opponent.

In this way, at least, no one could claim ignorance for boorish behavior and would be in contact with AH's finest from the get-go.  I can see some benefits and shortcomings already in my idea but I don't want to post a 3-page diatribe on it.

-Sudz

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Yankee
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2002, 02:43:42 PM »
Originally posted by Shane

I just couldn't believe they booted you of all people shane. :( That had to have been very hurtful. :(
I'm so sorry. :(

Online Shane

• Platinum Member
Yankee
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2002, 02:51:16 PM »
Originally posted by hblair

I just couldn't believe they booted you of all people shane. :( That had to have been very hurtful. :(
I'm so sorry. :(

yeah, especially when it just might, as in the past, have been unjustified.

things that make you go hmmmmmmmm.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2002, 03:07:42 PM by Shane »
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.

Offline Superfly

• Gold Member
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Yankee
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2002, 02:53:07 PM »
Originally posted by Shane

not everyone knows who you guys are .

it wouldn't be hard for any of you to go into cyan text and/or id yourselves as an employee of HTC when you're trying to use your authority would it?

this is a point that was made, that's all.

When people don't know who we are , we tell them (or a player does).  We don't boot poeple without warning.  Even without being on Blue channel, we can (and often do) pop up windows or go to private channel to warn offenders before action is taken.  If diplomacy doesn't work, I usually just mute people, but when they're extra special they get the boot to the head.
John "Superfly" Guytan
Art Director
HiTech Creations, Inc.

"My brain just totally farted" - Hitech, during a company meeting

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Yankee
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2002, 02:54:09 PM »
Shane, with connections as of late, that would be called a disco. :D

Offline Barney Fife

• Copper Member
Yankee
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2002, 02:57:54 PM »
Looks like we needs t'change the water.  Must be a case of that West Nile Virus goin round.

Now let's all move along folks.  Nothing to see here.  I've got a bullet in my pocket, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
Yankee
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2002, 03:04:57 PM »
but when they're extra special

ROFL

Online Shane

• Platinum Member
Yankee
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2002, 03:14:15 PM »
Originally posted by SUPERFLY

When people don't know who we are , we tell them (or a player does).  We don't boot poeple without warning.  Even without being on Blue channel, we can (and often do) pop up windows or go to private channel to warn offenders before action is taken.  If diplomacy doesn't work, I usually just mute people, but when they're extra special they get the boot to the head.

this is all good, as without having been witness to the situation referenced, only seeing pirate's view, i just got the impression that yankee might not have done so (maybe at some later point, i dunno).

as for being booted with a 10-min timeout with absolutely  no warning or communication whatsoever, i must say you are mistaken, because it *did* happen.

rip... how many "discos" are accompanied by a "you cannot log on for 10 minutes message"  when trying to get back in from what was *thought* to be a mere disco. hmmmm?

but honestly, there are quite a few people who don;t know the *names* -  they usually get clued in soon enough, sometimes even by me.

Offline moose

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ccrhl.com
Yankee
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2002, 03:15:28 PM »
Originally posted by -sudz-
This probably isn't a great idea but I'll toss it out anyway:

When a person signs up an account, automatically put them into a "newbie" channel and disallow channel 1.   The newbie channel would be monitored by trainers or volunteers to help with the inevitable newbie questions and set the tone and expectations for graduating into Channel 1 privledges.

All other channels would still be available - mission, private, squad, etc so that the sense of community will remain.  Six calls would still be possible.  The only shortcoming I can see is that it would take more effort to an opponent.

In this way, at least, no one could claim ignorance for boorish behavior and would be in contact with AH's finest from the get-go.  I can see some benefits and shortcomings already in my idea but I don't want to post a 3-page diatribe on it.

-Sudz

Hey Sudz I actually think that is a great idea.

There is this online RPG called "nexus" in which until you are a certain level, you cannot speak on open channel. you can only direct speak with users you know.

I don't know how useful this would be but it certainly helps in that game.
<----ASSASSINS---->

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Yankee
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2002, 03:20:21 PM »
"rip... how many "discos" are accompanied by a "you cannot log on for 10 minutes message" when trying to get back in from what was *thought* to be a mere disco. hmmmm?"

Ahh, didn't even know that message existed until now, guess I know "when to quit" ;) See? Age does have its advantages! :D