Author Topic: 9/11 Opinions of todays youth  (Read 1550 times)

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
9/11 Opinions of todays youth
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2002, 12:38:55 PM »
Originally posted by AKSWulfe
Desert Shield was in place when we left...

It was probably Desert something else before the Storm... but Shield was after Iraqis had been routed.. atleast that's how I remember it.
-SW

here's a chronology from the USCG

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-cp/comrel/factfile/Factcards/DesertChron.html

[edit]here's one from the US Army. It's more interesting lol
http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/CHRONOS/intro.htm
-Sik
« Last Edit: September 12, 2002, 12:43:04 PM by Sikboy »
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2002, 12:42:02 PM »
Um Shield protected Saudi Arabia, sorry

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/ops/desert_shield.htm

Karaya2

After posting: Sikboy.  Right on the money.

-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2002, 12:44:18 PM »
Sikboy, when Desert Storm ended didn't they change to a new operation? I distinctly remember it going Desert Storm, then after that there was something for the defense of Kuwait.

Masher, I was wrong... so sowwy, won't happen again mastah.
-SW

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2002, 12:47:51 PM »
Wulfey,

I don't think they renamed it dude.  I knew right off of the bat that Shield  came before Storm.  I don't believe it was named.  Let me do some research bro.

I do want to be the Massa.   Wulfe

Just putting facts on here.

Karaya2
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Lance

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2002, 12:52:22 PM »
What MidnightTarget said.

If someone comes armed with facts and figures and you have none yourself, maybe it is time to investigate fully what it is that you believe.

Oh, but I forgot, we shouldn't ever question ourselves.

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2002, 12:53:37 PM »
Just seemed very aggressive to me. Admittedly, I did try to do research to see if I was right after I posted to Thrawn.

I didn't find anything, but I didn't think of checking the mil sites either. Duh!

If you find out what it was called, if anything, please post it. Thanks in advance.

If there was no followup operation to Shield/Storm, then it just may be my delirium kicking in. :)
-SW

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2002, 01:01:17 PM »
Sikboy, when Desert Storm ended didn't they change to a new operation? I distinctly remember it going Desert Storm, then after that there was something for the defense of Kuwait.

-SW

I couldn't find anything in there. But it is surely possible that we gave our presense in the region a name. I bet Turmor knows, but he's probably still got me in his killfile lol.

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline Elfenwolf

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2002, 01:02:49 PM »
Originally posted by LoneStarBuckeye

There may be no better and well-known example than that propagated by organizations like PETA.  In a country where we routinely perform third-term abortions and are contemplating legalizing euthanasia (it is only a matter of time), the lives of animals are commonly considered as, if not more, valuable than the lives of humans.  
- JNOV

HERE HERE!! Once we abort all the fetuses and euthanize everyone over 65 there will be more room for the animals. BTW- It's commendable you're an attorney, but here it doesn't mean all that much. I would deny it if I were you. :)

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2002, 01:17:30 PM »
Wow, I argue with Animal before bed and wake up to 40 posts...

1.)  Eagler - I think I share your mindset 100% when it comes to this matter simply by reading your posts.  Im also willing to bet $$ that youre a military man.  No "educated" civilian could possibily think so clearly.

2.)  Elf - The Kiwi issue is in response to Vulcans post.  Whatever your talking about isnt being taught.  :)

3.)  Thrawn and Leslie - I like to think I argued against his points rather well.  There are four or five older students (Both grad and undergrad) in the class and the older ones (30 years+) seemed to take serious offense to what this kid was saying.  I understand that you can only take what I describe the event as, but this kid sounded like an Islamic whacko.

We even have 7 students from the region - Egypt, Turkey, and Lebannon.  These students were foaming at the mouth to attack this kid.  The Middle Easterners thought we Americans were CRAZY for not attacking sooner and with more force.  They seemed to be more patriotic than those born of this soil.

As far as the professer goes, he is very, very good IMO.  He is from Western Africa (forget which country) and brings alot of international views to his teachings.  He had absolutely no control of the class after about 10 minutes - rare for him.  

There are also 4 ex/current servicemen in the class - they/we also seemed to share the idea that what was coming out of this kid's mouth was rediculous.

We argued alot of his points into non-existance.  One individual who crewed a Navy P-3 over the gulf explained that every piece of hardware that came up on his scope was of Soviet origin.  This was news to this kid, as he had only minutes before stated that all the weaponry in the region was sold by America.

Another guy explained that he knew two officers in the Pentagon who were killed after this kid stated that the Pentagon was not a military target because it was filled with civilians.

There were so many simply idiotic arguments that he brought forth, and all that could be defended were - but alot of the psychobabble, which I STILL SEE as anti-American was simply unable to be comprehended.

When someone gets red in the face and starts to raise his voice about how American federal organizations use civilian buildings as shields and how we oppress the people of the world... blah blah blah...

His entire argument hinged on convincing us that "If we're all nice and see the error of our ways, this wont happen again."  In other words, pull out of the middle east, stop exploiting, and taking advantage of other nations.

I see this as horseshit.  It may be a sideeffect of my age/lack of experience/young "firepisser" mentality but my opinion is STILL that our response to these attacks should be absolutely devastating... diddly em... I will be the first one to march in.

I brought up the point that while we are focusing so much on "why" the attacks occured, we're not focusing enough on "why" the attacks occured.

Let me explain:

We know that the attacks are result of (Insert argument of choice here) but why did Bin Laden and Co. actually do it?  Blowing up buildings seems a bit over the top because you dont like the decisions someone makes.

If you look at how wars are fought in the two cultures involved here, European/Western and Middle Eastern, whats the big difference?  Geography.

If you go back and look at European conflicts from 900-1300AD and even earlier, whats the standard fair?  You march an army to the gates of the castle controlling the territory of your opponent and state "Here are our demands, meet them by this time or we will attack."

If you look at Middle Eastern conflicts, how are they different?  The attack first and then after they have sacked and taken the town/territory they contact the previous owner and state "Here are our demands, meet them or we wont be returning this land to you."

Why is this?  Geography.  You can sustain an army in Europe for weeks, maybe even months off the land - water, food, etc.  In the desert/mountains of the Mid East, you cant do it.  There is no water and nothing to live off of.  You must attack first and negotiate for the return of the attacked area.

This behavior has filtered down and is even present today.  Saddam, may his soul shortly burn in hell, exibited this very same behavior in Kuwait.  What did he do?  He invaded, stole everything, and buy time the Coalition (European mentality) saw that their demands were not being met (him leaving), they attacked.

I believe this is why we were simply "attacked" instead of "very stongly encouraged."  We see it as an insult, but in fact, this is how people in that region of the world are used to fighting.

GRUNHERZ:  Glad Im not the only one.  I go to a school in North Eastern Pennsylvania.  Strange mix of people here - but the university itself is about as Liberal as you can be (Liberal in the US Media sense, not its actual definition).  From the "tone" of your post, I see you know exactly the type of person I am describing.

Oedipus:  Your stormtrooper comment officially makes you a member of the peanut gallery.  Kindly go sit down.  IMHO, "stormtrooper" mentailty is close to what is needed here - most of the people I come into contact with hate America more than Bin Laden does.  When you see students coming DAMN CLOSE to CELEBRATING the attacks, it makes you want to puke.  So yes, SNUFF THEM OUT!  diddly them too - send them over to Iraq before we turn it into a self-lighting, glass floored, parking lot.

In addition, do you speak of the Israeli "stormtroopers" in your statement as well?  Do you look down upon their nationalism when they retaliate for attacks on their soveriengty?  The only thing that will stop these attacks is to march into the area and say "enough is enough."  In a situation like this, a single authority needs to be in control - do you want that authority to be "pro-western" or "anti-everything?"

As for attacking Iraq giving these people more of a reason to fly more "not-so-smart bombs" into buildings, I agree.  But in a situation like this, sacrifices need to be made.  If violence is the only thing these people understand and respect, I say give it to them.  Anyone who doesnt see further losses in this "forever war" is fooling themselves.

More attacks will be made, more people will die.  But HOW MANY MORE LIVES LOST will it take for most people take a step back and say what they should have said A YEAR AGO!?!?!

"...Hey... wait a minute... this is roadkill!!!"
« Last Edit: September 12, 2002, 01:34:55 PM by Saurdaukar »

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2002, 01:26:45 PM »
What serves America's interest is best for America.

If the billions in foreign aid and the staunch defense of our so-called allies serves our best interests, as an American, I'm ok with that.

If other nations don't like it, then don't dance with us. Don't trade with us, don't take our foriegn aid and don't call us when Sadaam or some other flake knocks on your door and chops your head off.

As for american citizens who enjoy the freedoms and prosperity of this nation, yet feel the need to bash her, move on down the road. This polly anna viewpoint of this is not fair or that shouldn't happen is laughable.

I can assure you of one thing....those of you who are young and still in college will someday realize that justice has very little to do with the reality of the day. I'm not defending that truth, but I won't ever deny it's bearing on all of us, irregardless of what nation we call home.

The world is not fair, life is not fair and the sooner some of you realize that fact, the happier you will be.

Balance and it's pursuit is what we all seek everyday of our lives and at every level. Some find it, some abuse it and some never see it at all.

Getting off you bellybutton and making a difference for your own nation brings change....passing gas on this board just shows your bellybutton imo.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2002, 01:38:00 PM »
As long as 2 human being occupy Planet Earth, there will be conflict.  That is a sad reality.

K2
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2002, 01:55:35 PM »
:::applause for Rude:::

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2002, 02:01:02 PM »
1.) Eagler - I think I share your mindset 100% when it comes to this matter simply by reading your posts. Im also willing to bet $$ that youre a military man. No "educated" civilian could possibily think so clearly.

It is dangerous to agree with me on this board, makes you a target for the left :)

Nope, not a military man, must make me an "educated" civilian -
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Re: 9/11 Opinions of todays youth
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2002, 02:04:13 PM »
Originally posted by Saurdaukar
I'm in my last semester of college.  Obviously today in one of my classes, Middle East (Political Science major), we discussed the attacks.

During this discussion, I was appauled at some of the, as I saw it, "Anti-American" viewpoints.  

There was one individual in particular who came armed to the teeth with facts and figures and rhetoric claiming that we brought this upon ourselves.  

My problem here is not necessarily with this person, whose name I do not even know, but the fact that alot of the younger students seemed to agree with him.  

I yield to you:

(a) he was a plant.  It wouldn't be the first time a professor pulled that in order to stimulate discussion.  Your next class session should be interesting.

(b) if he was citing facts and figures, you should challenge him to cite his sources.  Then go find those sources and verify their veracity.

(c) when I was in college (late-80's) the big deal was apartheid in South Africa.  Everyone was shouting about equal rights.  What they apparently failed to grasp was the concept that we would be meddling in another country's affairs.  Their presumption was that, as Americans, it was our responsibility to do dabble in another country's politics in order to right a perceived injustice.  But nobody seemed to care about the Taliban and its treatment of women, or its stifling of intellectual thought.  As far as they knew, the Taliban were on our side because we had supplied the mujahadeen with Sidewinders.  It was about as short-sighted as the discussion in my Anthropology class that put forth the opinion that the pygmies of Africa were backwards and underdeveloped just because they had no industry, no modern machinery, and relied on the jungle for their basic needs.

(d) most students will be against the government for the same reason they rail against the university and their parents .... until they graduate and have to go find a job.  There's nothing like a corporate employee policy tied to a paycheck to force conformance.

(e) there's a difference between hating the government and hating the country.  The seeds of WW2 were sown in WW1 when foreign policy levied overly harsh penalties against Germany.  A persistent pattern of foreign policy failures led to the situation in Vietnam from 1964 to 1975.  It can be said that 'Nam happened because of Hull's failure to support French troops fighting agains the Japanese there prior to the US's involvement in WW2.  A lot of people hated the government during 'Nam, but those same people loved this country enough that they demonstrated against the politicians.

(f) you can hate a war, but don't hate the warriors that are sent to fight it.  You can hate terrorism.  Terrorists are not warriors.  They are criminals.  You may want to mention this in the class and see what kind of response you get.  That would give you a better idea of which side of the fence your classmates are standing.

(g) America should invade New Zealand so we can run the Eco-Challenge without the messy passport process!

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2002, 02:19:06 PM »
Yer an idiot Fishu. The Gulf War was not about Iraq, it was about Kuwait. Once we had them pushed out of Kuwait, the Gulf War was no longer labelled Desert Storm. It became Desert Shield, defending and maintaining Kuwait's borders from Iraq. We finished what we set out to do, get Iraqis out of Kuwait.

It had nothing to do with going to war against Iraq or Saddam.

As I see it, US went to war with Iraqi forces and entered Iraq in order to get it's leader drop the war.
So if that isn't about war against Iraq and Saddam, then what is?!

"border skirmish" huh?

American forces entered in Iraq, definately didn't just drive them couple kilometers from the border and then ask from Saddam if hes kind enough to sign a peace treaty and be subjected to embargo and other restrictions.

You sure have funny way of viewing wars, AKSWulfe.

Calling me idiot only proves me right.

With Gulf War I refer to the whole war in Iraq-Kuwait area.
Whats so idiotic in that?
Clearly americans had the opportunity to go in and take out Saddam, just like that one general wanted to, but politicians - american politicians - had other thoughts..
..or, maybe they just left Saddam in power to have an excuse in the future to have another war?
They were already in Iraq.. that isn't anymore "defend kuwait" operation.
Sure it might be aggressive pre-emptive defensive operation, but that falls to attacking and attack took place in Iraq soil.