Author Topic: Giving Muting power to customers.. BIG mistake!!  (Read 2477 times)

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Giving Muting power to customers.. BIG mistake!!
« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2001, 09:43:00 AM »
Man if there is someone with that power in the MA I sure havent seen much evidence of it.  
I dont know that I mind the idea. It would help me shut up from time to time. I dont like the idea of it being anonymous.
HT obviosly does not want us to know who these cops are But they should have to answer for each mute to someone.
Even if just a number was shown to the muted player that HT could use to id the muter if there was a problem.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2001, 10:04:00 AM »
Hey Crash, does "AKWABBIT YOU CHEATING diddly" ring a bell?

Not suprising you'd take the side of a childish sore loser.  At least Dingbat didn't accuse Wulfie of being a cheater when he got his bellybutton wasted eh?  

Wulfie I think this was your fault for two reasons:

1.  Dingy is nothing but a piece of human excrement.  You should know that by now.  He doesn't even come close to deserving a salute for any reason.  Just gut shoot him and move onto your next victim.

2.  If I've told you once, I've told you a thousand times..NEVER EVER EVER EVER unsquelch chan 1.  Period. There's no intelligent life down there.  Don't waste your time.

Regards,
Wab
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Apache

• Silver Member
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2001, 10:11:00 AM »

2. If I've told you once, I've told you a thousand times..NEVER EVER EVER EVER unsquelch chan 1. Period. There's no intelligent life down there. Don't waste your time.

There are exceptions, sir.

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2001, 10:17:00 AM »
For the record, being the one who was insulted by Wulf, I could appreciate the 3rd party muting of my insulter as it did prevent the situation from getting even more out of control.  I only responded to his questions.  After he was muted, nothing more was exchanged.  As most of you know, I probably enjoy a heated exchange as much as the next guy and wont back down.  If muting can defuse a situation before it REALLY gets out of hand, great.  Should I have been muted?  Well I didnt insult anyone directly but if it could have spared the rest of the arena from experiencing this and defuse the situation, then yes.  Mute me.  Might make me cool down a bit too.

Fact is the one who got muted was the one throwing the vulgarities around.  I was not muted because I didnt say any insulting.  Was I rude?  Yes probably, but hey Im not an angel.

Personally, I dont have a problem with the muting and welcome it.  If I get muted, chances are I deserved it and the arena is spared trivial BS flowing back and forth on the public channel.

-Ding

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2001, 10:18:00 AM »
>There are exceptions, sir.

Yes you're right.  But they are so hard to find and are so drowned out by the whiners and poor sports and excuse makers that I no longer feel its worth the effort to try and find them. Squelch 1.  Squelch it agian.  And squelch it one more time just to make sure its dead.

Regards,
Wab

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2001, 10:23:00 AM »

Originally posted by AKWabbit:
Not suprising you'd take the side of a childish sore loser.  At least Dingbat didn't accuse Wulfie of being a cheater when he got his bellybutton wasted eh?  

LOL leave it to AKs to take it new levels.  This is exactly why Wulf got squelched and I didnt.  The AKs as represented here on the boards cannot go without insulting others.  THIS is the kind of action which gets people muted online.  Too bad we cant do this on the boards.  

Now you all know why I reacted to Wulfie as I did....I have no respect for any of the AKs online.  They are nothing but antagonists in the air and on the boards.

-Ding

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2001, 10:35:00 AM »
>I have no respect for any of the AKs online.

Believe me Dingbat,  the feeling is entirely mutual.  You're the poster child for why chan 1 needs to be squelched by so many.

No Regards,
Wab

Offline llbm_MOL

• Copper Member
« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2001, 10:37:00 AM »
I cant believ you guys. You want censorship?? I guess most of you aren't from the US. Rip, your wrong on this one. I'm very loyal to my Sims but if HTC is giving some suck bellybutton favorite the right to mute me or anybody else then I WILL take my money to another SIM and convince as many of my squadmates to go with me and not put up with this kind of treatment they used to use in the old USSR. I dont need or want big brother watching me. We HAVE a damn Squelch! If you dont like what a player is saying, squelch the basturd! If its racist if its about "dick" then squelch him. I pay to play here like Wulfie or anybody else. If I dont like what he says then I squelch him. I dont need some suck up to HTC tell me what I need to hear or what I can say. The competition is starting to get more fierce out there for the online SIM community. AH is the best but that doesnt mean another without  players with GODPOWERS wont come along. That bucket full of water could drop pretty quick huh Rip?

LLB OUT!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2001, 10:48:00 AM »

Originally posted by AKWabbit:
>I have no respect for any of the AKs online.

Believe me Dingbat,  the feeling is entirely mutual.  You're the poster child for why chan 1 needs to be squelched by so many.

No Regards,
Wab

WAAAAAAAA WAB!  

-Ding

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #84 on: March 19, 2001, 10:50:00 AM »
Kinda strange where 'dick' is censored and 'banana' isn't!  I'd be more offended by banana than dick anyday!    BTW, what happens if your CPID is 'dick'?

Nexx

Afterthought.... 1984.....
NEXX

MrSiD

« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2001, 10:56:00 AM »
I say mute them all, let God sort them out!

After seeing Wobble's reaction its obvious why he became muted =)

Offline DoKtor GonZo

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.gonzoville.com/DoK/
« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2001, 11:05:00 AM »
There is an issue here beyond gameplay, folks.

Don't forget that we live in very litigious times. You need a potty-mouth filter because we have kids playing this game. Anyone who's been to a Con' knows we all swear like there's no tomorrow in person. But the last thing HTC needs is angry letters from parent's lawyers saying "My little Billy now plays with inflatable goats because of what he heard on AH." Or something like that.

By the same token, HTC also does not need someone calling a lawyer on them because they felt that the game and the company condoned, fostered, or approved of things like the Holocaust. Or Apartheid. Or that the game is in some way excluding a certain minority because of its tone of racism.

Back in Ye Olde Air Warrior daze, folks would occasionally show up with handles like "Adolf Hitler" and rant away for a night. But a night is all they got. Banned for life within 24 hours. Hell, I got banned for the nonsense word "waffledick" once.

So even if you put aside how pathetically small making "deathcamp" jokes makes the teller look, the bottom line is that HTC needs to protect themselves. Those blessed with muting power should be mature enough to use it wisely.

And, FWIW, anyone here who thinks that genocide falls into the grey area of public taste - being only inappropriate in the eyes of those related to the expunged - needs a serious, serious reality check.

-DoK

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
« Reply #87 on: March 19, 2001, 11:11:00 AM »
WoW!  I just lost respect for some AH players.  Man, there are a few on this BBS topic that I had alot of respect for, until now! Congradulations!  Not that having Swager's respect is a high point, but my standards are low and if I take a double look imagine what others are thinking.

As for customers having mute power. I would love that power!!  I would mute hblair, hangtime, ice, lephturn and all the other great sticks.  Mute them so much they would signoff for the night. It would make AH soooo much safer!  HeHe!

Lighten up gentlemen, it's just a realistic combat flight simulation!

------------------
Swager
On Leave 3./JG2~Richthofen~[/i]

"Enjoy yourselves now... for I'll be back"
3./JG2
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Ice

« Reply #88 on: March 19, 2001, 11:13:00 AM »
I seriously try to get along with everyone...even those who don't deserve the effort

Some of you need to lighten up...if you feel that the majority of us have to listen to your foul mouths whenever you feel inclined to pull the chain, then you're kidding yourself.

I would have alot more respect for those of you who say you'll quit, if you would just QUIT! Talk is cheap...if you can't participate in this sim without calling folks fowl names and makin it alot more personal then it needs to be, then hit the road.

I can promise you this...if I had the .mute thingie within my grasp, I guarantee you I would have more mutes/sortie than kills/sortie...if not for the fact that I just get tired of hearing the same old whinin.

Here's a wild concept...why not let your flyin do your talkin...there isn't a player in this sim who would not respect that, even if they didn't like you.

------------------
Ice
13thTAS

It's not the Big that kill the Small, but the Fast that kill the Slow!

Offline Thog

• Zinc Member
« Reply #89 on: March 19, 2001, 11:26:00 AM »
This has poisonus potential. I suspect that whatever good HTC my feel can come of it, in it's current incarnation it presents a much higher potential for damaging the community than helping it.

If you've seen me around much, you've likely figured out that I think most on-line communities are largely bacterial, including this one. If this is your idea of great community you need to get out more and have the occasional beer.

However, situations like this can make any environment toxic, and with the natural ego's of the people who play this game and the paranoia that is common to any internet experiance it seems to me that the solution is much worse than the problem. This isn't a theoretical issue (as was the automated profanity filter), but a practical problem of monkey-behavior.

Thog