Author Topic: WW2OL Revisited  (Read 6049 times)

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2002, 06:45:27 PM »
I've seen very good posts about WWIIOL and its condition in this BB which is something you can't find from WWIIOL's bulletin board.
Also ppl in this board usually does know what they're talking about which, again, is not the case with that BB over there (there are good exceptions thought they are a usually over-run by 16 years olds and I'm not talking about Whiskeys.

Guess I should put up a heavily moderated board for wwiiol :/

(Kieran; This one just for you ;) )
« Last Edit: September 23, 2002, 06:49:37 PM by Staga »

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2002, 06:46:24 PM »
Mine isnt the only machine configuration it works on. Works for some with all the possible configs, wont work for some with the same possible configs. IF it is the sims fault, just how would they debug a problem like that?

Dont get hysterical Mighty. You think this is a rant? LOL, I have the capacity to truly rant. This isnt one. I always thought I was being quite civil. Look it up that word. You might find it illuminating.

People who played and think they got screwed? 4th group,  people who played and continue to do so.

What is so funny, the things on the box that made you buy it, are only going to show up as long as ww2ol continues to update. If CRS fails, no publisher is ever going to attempt anything as complex as ww2ol. You will spend another 10 years looking for the holy grail. This is it bud.

hardcase

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2002, 06:52:14 PM »
...and while I am at it, let's talk about that score issue...

At some point in time rank is bound to mean something, correct? Either through posting missions or special equipment, there has to be a good reason to have rank.

But... you can't get rank unless you have successful missions. And... you can't get successful missions (at times) because you can't get kills, because some bloke put a round in the plane 10 minutes before you saw it. Flame the bad guy if you like, but you just helped the previous bloke make Colonel. So, while score means nothing to me in most games, the very premise of WWIIOL makes scoring an integral part of the game, not just bragging rights.

So you see, minimalizing the concern over "first-hit, first-kill" isn't really such a good idea, is it now?

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2002, 06:55:07 PM »
Sweet jebus, if WW2Ol is the holy grail, I don't want any part of it.

What is so funny is the things that were listed on that box should of been complete by the time it was released.

What's even funnier, is that people think they should be retroactively paying to essentially alpha test compiled code that should still have the debug settings running because they apparently can't get the damn game to run on two systems that are identical hardware wise, and probably software/driver wise too!

You think THAT is good? You think THAT is the holy grail?

Sounds more like toejam on a cracker to me...
-SW

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #79 on: September 23, 2002, 06:57:03 PM »
I minimized the first ,,because I am not a score potato, never was. It is trivial to me. The second is in next release what more could I say?

I have not seen a post about AH on ww2ol. Then again, I am usually in the community/help forum.

Dislike AH? Didnt play it enought to know. Only got 10 hours or so in the free 3 weeks.

The very fact that I play the sim, should tell you that no problem is so big that i would quit. That does not make me a Fan boy. Others see enought problems to trip their tolerance levels, mine is apparently higher.

As for buy mo ram etc,  all launch news is so old and war weary it really shows a lack of reverence for the dead. It needed more ram, ram footprint drops with each release. More CPU, coding to keep lame  voodoo 2 cards in the sim meant the graphics FPS was abysmal. CPU struggling to feed vidcards.  Old news.

Again, if it works for 15000 + why didnt it work on yours?

No..the holy grail is a air land and sea war on mmolrpg with 10k ppl fighting you. That is the grail..see any other on the horizon?

hardcase

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #80 on: September 23, 2002, 07:00:21 PM »
I am a colonel in all services of both sides. It is trivial.
For CRS is probably isnt and is on the burner to be corrected.

hc

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #81 on: September 23, 2002, 07:03:53 PM »
now go with the anecdote hardcase. go with the anecdote!

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #82 on: September 23, 2002, 07:06:10 PM »
As long as I have you all here....

hc

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #83 on: September 23, 2002, 07:07:14 PM »
So if I gather you correctly, you are saying an integral part of the game concept is rather meaningless? Nothing seems wrong in that stance? Hmmm, to me this would suggest a rather large problem.

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #84 on: September 23, 2002, 07:09:07 PM »
Yeah, I know... them AMD 1Ghz Athlons, 768MB PC133 SDRAM O/cled 142Mhz), SB Live! and V5 5500s are so damn slow and pathetic....

luckily I tried it during a free trial period...

I've NEVER had any problems configuring a game to run on my system (it's no longer the aforementioned CPU and vid card) and they always work, and worked well.

If it takes me so much tweaking, while other games don't and virtually no other software (except the poorly written ones, mind you) does, then it is very evident that the fault lies within the code that was done by CRS...

A sign of good coding is a program that runs on multiple computer's with widely varying internal components, and software.

A sign of bad coding is just the opposite.

And you think the holy grail is CRS' and their game?

Looks good on paper, runs poor on computers.

Not much more to it than that.
-SW

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #85 on: September 23, 2002, 07:09:10 PM »
Staga-

Bravo! Gotta hand it to you, you are sticking it out better than I would have. If those guys don't understand NACA and the charts you are showing them, what use is it to argue?

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #86 on: September 23, 2002, 07:11:10 PM »
No...at this moment meaningless to me . I have no need to complete mission. I rarely take them. I just like shooting things.
CRS is a different story on the value of fixing any problem. Things seem to improve with each update, so I am happy. Thinking about getting a second account(which is less than one account for AH?, still 24 something?) so that I can tow my on aaa and at guns.

hardcase

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #87 on: September 23, 2002, 07:14:19 PM »
1 AH account, $14.95...

Atleast I can cite the prices for WW2Ol... $9.95, so they can repeatedly screw you up the butt...
-SW

Offline Mighty1

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #88 on: September 23, 2002, 07:14:55 PM »
Your right Kieren and look who their leader is!

Colonel Fanboy!
I have been reborn a new man!

Notice I never said a better man.

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #89 on: September 23, 2002, 07:15:41 PM »
So AK, what was the problem exactly? That rig should have gotten 30fps at 1024..no wait..did the voodoo 5500 do 32 bit? So, what OS? Did it CTD, spiking FPS, very low FPS, fail to launch? What sound settings did you use..over 32 voices and all sound cards use cpu cycles for voices? 32 or less are best. The soundcard driver is better than the generic d3d. What were your settings..high performance, No Lock to Refresh, only texture box checked is Reduce Textures..

so..what was the problem?

hardcase