Author Topic: WW2OL Revisited  (Read 6059 times)

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #105 on: September 24, 2002, 01:38:20 PM »
Two things:

1.  icemaw expressed exactly how I feel.

2.  I'm going to do my best to start including the word "hypercrappy" in my everyday conversations.

Offline Braz

• Zinc Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #106 on: September 24, 2002, 01:47:51 PM »
Stupid arguements? :D

Like EVERY pro review ever done on that crappy beta product?

Like EVERY group member I know?

They come to AH's board to 'help' us by talking up how much better it is after the last version. It's obvious they are losing players in droves and are desperate to generate some warm bodies. But wwiiol is the most dispised mmol beta ever tested. The rats have the worst reputation of any dev house, period.

I wanna see off-topic posts about developments in Target sims. They're our peers, and formed a small company with good intentions. I admire them. The rats were our peers too. That's why their betrayal was all the more painful. We won't forget their rep. Ever. It wasn't SF's fault, it wasn't the Playnet's excuse, it was rats themselves who chose cash and puffing resos, over offering the honest DL game concieved from the start.

They got greedy and deserve the rep they have. This is not the forum to hope that rep is forgotten. Too many folks here started out playing dosAW with Snail and Doc. We're not forgetting, and some of us aren't forgiving until atonement is made. This mess must not be allowed to become the norm for building games.

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #107 on: September 24, 2002, 02:29:01 PM »
Actually player numbers are increasing. Maybe that is just your wish for ww2ol;-)

perhaps words like betrayal makes me come in here.
Post a "review" and I'll pop right back in here again

"They" should rightfully included Strategy First, the publisher who has the final sayso. I agree. Worse mistake made,  but then again, SF fronted the money.

Ahh..no free d/l...there it is.
It is a free d/l now. Strategy First wont let Playnet sell CD keys and a free d/l in the US. Only Europe can do that. Tell you anything about Strategy First?

PC Games has a latest review on it. Gave it a 70%. Honest and seemingly involved process.

Atone. LOL. Hurt your feelings that much?

BTW, when was the last time AH had a thread over 100:-)
Hepefully I have nver attacked AH. I didnt play it enought to know. 10 hours isnt enough time to do justice to any sim.
hardcase
« Last Edit: September 24, 2002, 02:41:14 PM by hardcase »

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #108 on: September 24, 2002, 03:20:43 PM »
I bought and tried WWIIOL. It was as boring and tedious as tardcase and this thread.

Offline Mighty1

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #109 on: September 24, 2002, 04:21:10 PM »
Hehe! "tardcase" that's a good one I gotta remember that!:p

Colonel Tardcase Fanboy!
I have been reborn a new man!

Notice I never said a better man.

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #110 on: September 24, 2002, 04:23:13 PM »
WW2OL is a niche and a lot of ppl will never enjoy it,even if all the probs were fixed overnight..  When I want a quick killing spree with little trouble, I still fire up Tribes 1.
Warbirds has problems, what I did play of AH, seems pretty much like WB before Stealy got a hold of it again.

tardcase

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #111 on: September 24, 2002, 04:43:13 PM »
Oh hell, its not Tardcase's and Fish's fault ... it is *our* fault cuz we are still listening and replying to them :) See ya there guys .... maybe 1.67 will make me give a look again to your aircraft and their behaviour.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2002, 04:50:13 PM by gatt »
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #112 on: September 24, 2002, 04:55:10 PM »
1.67 is prolly going onto a beta server. I hope that CRS will host another 2 week freebie thing.

Respond, be my willling Thrall!

JustinCase

Tardcase's bro'

Offline Samm

• Silver Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #113 on: September 24, 2002, 05:55:27 PM »
They made them release the game five years too soon. And it seems to be fatally flawed, they need put it out of it's misery and start over, that's my 2 bits .

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #114 on: September 24, 2002, 06:22:51 PM »
Fishu/Hard give it up.

If we were so anti-WW2OL then there wouldn't be the odd-AHer who revisits WW2OL, pays up, plays for a bit, then comes back to let the rest of us know how its going.

My posting (not a review), was a quick sum up of what I didn't like. It include several positives. But an overall thumbs down from me personally. It wasn't titled "The Definitive Review of WW2OL"... it is just a revisiting, an update, and an explanation of why I wasn't staying.

Its amazing the immediate draw factor it has on you guys.

Fishu, that screenshot is nice, they've taken great effort to exclude the razor thin hedges, razor thin trees, and infranty that bears a striking similarity to the AH 'Chutes' :D (especially in the way it moves with the gun stuck out like an erect... member).

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #115 on: September 24, 2002, 06:30:42 PM »
I find WWIIOL an interesting concept marred by insufferable technical issues.

Headcase

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #116 on: September 24, 2002, 06:34:54 PM »
120 thread post and we all finally agree the current version of wwiiol is toejam, right tar....er hardcase??? :D

I will check out 1.67 (I am a gluton) and if it is better then I will cry it from the mountain tops. We will see.

Offline SC-Sp00k

• Nickel Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #117 on: September 24, 2002, 06:54:10 PM »
The way I see it, this pro-active anti Ww2OL response is one out of fear.

AH is not perfect by any means. You enjoy it so regardless of its faults it is good.

Likewise with those who enjoy Ww2OL.  None are naive to think it doesnt have problems.

Interestingly, the WW2OL community dont seem to spend all their time slamming other games around them.  They recognise their own faults and thats enough for them.

Some AH's and others from other sims tho cant wait to slam WW2OL.

Seems like WW2OL, whilst still a buggy nightmare at times, continues to be considered a threat to another playerbase.

Why?  Potential.

Whatever it may be now. All know what it could be.  Ive little doubt that that is where I will end up when they get it right.  They cant do everything and have made large inroads since their disasterous start.  Give them time.

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #118 on: September 24, 2002, 08:35:44 PM »
Wrong, Spook.

Vulcan comes in and gives an  unbiased report. *Immediately* two vocal members of the WWIIOL community show up and refute or minimize virtually every observation made. The rest of us respond because, quite honestly, we've seen the same things when *we* all tested the game. The reason this dragged out can be attributed as much to our stubborness in making the point we know what we saw as it can be to the two players who come here and refuse to understand that people here *have* given the game a chance, and just chose to play something else instead.

The truth is, the people making the comparisons to AH are not the AH players (for the most part). I think anyone with any amount of intelligence can see that WWIIOL is no more a threat to AH as AH is to WWIIOL. Finally, the reason you don't see many evangelizing AH on the WWIIOL BBS is the fact the WWIIOL BBS is closed to members only- something you seem to overlook. If the BBS were open and people began to go over there and post how great AH is like Hardcase and Fishu have here, you can bet your bottom dollar there would be a *ton* of AH bashing going on. I'd say it speaks highly of the lack of concern (over competition from WWIIOL) on the part of HTC and company that has allowed this type of thing to go on the way it has, wouldn't you say?

Offline Cobra

• Nickel Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #119 on: September 24, 2002, 08:46:27 PM »
All I can say is, after reading about the Luger thing......

I just logged off from there and the Luger is THE BEST Sniper Rifle in the German Army....bar none!!

I'm not talking, close in, self-defense weapon....oh no, I tagged 2 Brit SMG's and a Brit Rifle from across an open field.  (I know, because I only shot at 3 ei and the AAR gave me credit for all 3).

Cobra