Author Topic: Channel 1 situation  (Read 516 times)

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Channel 1 situation
« on: October 07, 2002, 08:56:43 AM »
I've noticed over the past several months the situation on channel 1 getting worse. It seems now to be pretty much dominated these days by hotheads just wanting to whine. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with people going off occasionally. I know it's part of the game. But when you get 400+ in the MA and two pilots want to argue over who killed who and why, then the arguement turns into an alt-tab score checking contest, it just gets real old fast. I don't care to have to scan through that stuff while I'm typing to an old friend, etc.
The way HT changed the way kills are displayed definately helped, but IMO there's just too much bad blood on channel 1 at times to do the game any good.
Last night skuzzy came on in blue text, carries on a proffesional conversation, everybodys acting cool. 30 minutes after he leaves the sswaffen squeakfest is in full swing. Then there's a 30 minute cry-fest after somebody get's killed by an unworthy GV guy. Channel 1 scrolls 90 mph with useless crap like that.

I understand that everybody's not going to get along, but the volume of the negative stuff at times has got to be a detriment to the game, say a middle age guy with no previous PC game experience who sees the advertisement on TV, looks interesting, he downloads the game, and is greeted with this stuff on channel one. Not a pretty picture.

Maybe a coded system that let's the MA population as a whole vote on muting someone for a period of time?
Are there other games using a system like that? The code would have to make it where one squad couldn't vote someone quiet. I obviously don't know what all that would entail.

Keeping them all squelched just isn't really practical, and I like to use channel one too much to squelch the whole channel.

Input?

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
Channel 1 situation
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2002, 09:02:53 AM »
Bliss= .squelch 1

Offline Kronos

• Nickel Member
Channel 1 situation
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2002, 09:04:23 AM »
here here.  It gets awful at times.

IMHO a permanent squelch list is the most practical, if not the best solution for the problem.  I don't know how voting a player to mute would do...  and although I don't like the idea, maybe more HTC police?

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Channel 1 situation
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2002, 09:07:37 AM »
:D

Need perma squelch list, we said it already!
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
Channel 1 situation
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2002, 09:10:13 AM »
Too much O' Club banter on ch 1 for me as well....save it for the boards please.

Offline Zippatuh

• Silver Member
Channel 1 situation
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2002, 09:21:11 AM »
Oh yes, nothing better than a political debate raging channel 1 :rolleyes:

We need the permasquelch but that’s not going to help much for hblair’s presented case.

Maybe some muting privileges should be given out to some individuals that have been in AH for awhile.  I know that’s another can of worms but there are several veteran squads out there with players who have been online long enough they have the respect of quite a few.

AH police corps!  Step up and be counted!  :D

Offline MWHUN

• Copper Member
      • http://www.most-wanted.org
Channel 1 situation
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2002, 09:24:52 AM »
For better or worse CH1 rants are part of the game… sometimes it can be an amusing distraction while getting to/from target.

I just try to do selective mental filtering of CH1 and pick-out the valid information/conversation from it.  In AH it is so awesome that you can create different color chat buffers—imagine trying to pull out squad conversation and arena/country conversation from a single colored chat buffer.  With the multi-color chat buffer I find it very easy to ignore certain text channel conversations when needed.

I’m not sure I like the “voting” option—there is bound to be a way some people would find a way to exploit/abuse it.

Offline mosgood

• Silver Member
Channel 1 situation
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2002, 09:28:21 AM »
actually, it's just a lot easier to record the offensive text and send the file to HTC.  Let them decide what to do with them.  It's their  game.  :)

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Channel 1 situation
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2002, 09:34:49 AM »
Originally posted by mosgood
actually, it's just a lot easier to record the offensive text and send the file to HTC.  Let them decide what to do with them.  It's their  game.  :)

That sounds like a good idea, but if everybody sent in an offending screenshot, they'd have to spend too much time away from developing the game.
OTOH, If people knew they could be voted on being muted by the population of the MA at any given time, they'd prolly be a lil more pleasant and less likely to spam channel one with rants.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2002, 09:37:06 AM by hblair »

Offline mosgood

• Silver Member
Channel 1 situation
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2002, 09:59:47 AM »
Hmmm...I think you're right on that hblair.  

I'm not presuming to volunteer more work for our already hard working hosts.:)

Although I do think that HTC would probably prefer to be responsible for any customer penalties that need to be administered.  That's just good CS policy.

I think that the solution to this problem has already been provided by HTC as much as it really can w/o having the community police the text offenders themselves.

That solution is not to stop other customers from using channel 1 as a chat room,  but to give us the option to not receive their comments with the "squelch" command.  

Personaly, I feel that this is the best solution because it allows the chaters to do what they want (they pay as much as I do) and I just have to type in their names to squelch them and everybodies happy.  That's the main reason it was put in place right? ( I'm actually guessing).

Of course, the new guys that haven't read the part of the  manual that covers "squelch" can still get turned off by it until they discovers it.:(

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Channel 1 situation
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2002, 10:00:42 AM »
Aces High proposal change:

Currently says this on website:
Aces High takes the art and science of vintage WWII air combat and sets it in an online high intensity environment where hundreds of players can battle it out with and against each other.  High fidelity air combat is the heart of
Aces High, but it doesn't end there.  In addition to flying a multitude of aircraft types, players can also man vehicles, boats, amphibs, gun batteries, and ships.  It's the most diverse virtual arsenal available to players in this genre and it's constantly growing through frequent updates.  In the air, on land, and at sea, the battle rages 24 hours a day with participants from around the world.
[/i]

Proposal to change it to this:

Asses High takes the art and science of vintage online bullshipping and sets it in an online high intensity environment where hundreds of players can battle it out without wit and endless banter.  High fidelity trash talking is the heart of tulips High, but it doesn't end there. In addition to endless unadulterated text banter, players can also send threatening emails to one another!  It's the most diverse virtual community prettythangholes available to players in this genre and it's constantly growing through frequent influx of ex-AW players!.  In the air, on land, and at sea, the text battle rages 24 hours a day without participants having to be present to be insulted!.

:D:D All in fun of course. :)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2002, 10:49:22 AM by Ripsnort »

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Channel 1 situation
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2002, 10:40:37 AM »
The squeakfest on Ch 1 usually involves the same group of loudmouths. We all know who they are. They seem to thrive on ranting and short of being silenced by a moderator, I doubt they'll ever STFU.

DmdMax

Offline Cobra

• Nickel Member
Channel 1 situation
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2002, 10:47:08 AM »
HBlair is a whiner!  :p

Cobra

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Channel 1 situation
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2002, 10:57:25 AM »
I editted the "it's constantly growing through frequent updates" section. :D

Offline Hornet

• Nickel Member
Channel 1 situation
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2002, 11:19:06 AM »
They have to find a way to get the o'club political BS out of the arena. They should probably bring in more hall monitors to get more coverage and give them more specific instructions to mute and kick the morons who pay $14.95 for a chatroom. Do these clowns ever shoot at anything?

But people have to realize that this thread is connected to JAB's 5 page monster about SSWaffen. The more lax HTC is in allowing poltically charged names into the main, the more difficult it becomes to keep poltically charged conversation off channel 1. Whether the SS were a bunch of cool dudes or not is besides the point, its the debate that is sparked that has a damaging effect on chnl 1, not the perceived "offense" of the handle.

As far as game related taunting across channel 1...that's much more of a grey area. If you crack down too much on it I think you lose a part of the multiplayer experience. In these cases the goal should be for players to know there is clear line not to cross regarding profanity and physical threats. But a little H8 is good, it builds rivalries, keeps people coming back, and plus they're always those guys you can set off like wind-up toys...so predictable and amusing.
Hornet