Author Topic: Non Smoking  (Read 1202 times)

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
Non Smoking
« Reply #90 on: October 30, 2002, 10:55:05 AM »
Let's look at that amendment one more time.

Exceptions
private residences whenever they are not being used commercially to provide child care, adult care, or health care, or any combination thereof
retail tobacco shops
designated smoking guest rooms at hotels and other public lodging establishments
stand-alone bars.

That's it.  Those are the only places in Florida anyone can smoke inside if this amendment is passed.  That means the little smoking rooms in airports (unless that's considered a guest room at a public lodging establishment, but I think not) are out as well as small businesses (including some that every single person smokes and no one objects to smoking in the break room.)  The only way that small business qualifies for the exception is if someone lives there as well.

The spirit of the amendment has merit, I don't discount that.  The scope of the amendment is asinine, and as such, I am voting against it.
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
Non Smoking
« Reply #91 on: October 30, 2002, 11:48:58 AM »
That means the little smoking rooms in airports (unless that's considered a guest room at a public lodging establishment, but I think not) are out as well as small businesses

isn't that what
designated smoking guest rooms

are?

little smoking rooms ?

I think it's fine as described by you.
I simply means Designate smoking rooms/areas.
what's wrong with that ?

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Non Smoking
« Reply #92 on: October 30, 2002, 11:56:43 AM »
Originally posted by Nifty
Let's look at that amendment one more time.

Exceptions
private residences whenever they are not being used commercially to provide child care, adult care, or health care, or any combination thereof
retail tobacco shops
designated smoking guest rooms at hotels and other public lodging establishments
stand-alone bars.

That's it.  Those are the only places in Florida anyone can smoke inside if this amendment is passed.  That means the little smoking rooms in airports (unless that's considered a guest room at a public lodging establishment, but I think not) are out as well as small businesses (including some that every single person smokes and no one objects to smoking in the break room.)  The only way that small business qualifies for the exception is if someone lives there as well.

The spirit of the amendment has merit, I don't discount that.  The scope of the amendment is asinine, and as such, I am voting against it.

your splitting hairs
who's going to report a mom/pop biz where they all smoke?
you think the airports are going to get rid of their glass smoking dens? Even CA a/ps have them. they aren't going nowhere.
I think its a dirty habit, right up there with chewing tobacco spit. The more its controlled and placed in the corner where it belongs, the better.
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Airhead

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ouchytheclown.com
Non Smoking
« Reply #93 on: October 30, 2002, 12:58:10 PM »
Quitting smoking is the single most thing a person can do to improve ones health. Mothers who smoke deliver lower weight babies prone to more complications- children who live in a home with a smoker suffer more colds, bronchial and respatory illnesses than children who live in smoke free enviroments.

Knowing what we know today about the dangers of tobacco use one could conclude that to smoke cigarettes today one would have to be too stupid to understand what they're doing to their bodies or too weak mentally to beat  such a nasty addiction.

Personally I view tobacco as Darwinism in action, and I haven't met very many smokers who have impressed me with thier intelligence so as far as I'm concerned puff away- the more smokers who die the less trailer parks we need to house the rest of them. The only sad thing is that behavior is learned, so children of smokers are more likely to smoke than children of nonsmokers.

Instead of banning cigarettes in public I think we should go much further than that and ban the cultivation, sale and distribution of tobacco and tobacco products entirely. Too many people die from tobacco and it's a burden on our medical infrastructure because people who smoke are usually too stupid to afford health coverage so we, the tax payer, gets stuck with the bill.

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
Non Smoking
« Reply #94 on: October 30, 2002, 01:07:40 PM »
here here!!!

let's ban POT too.. oh.. it already is ..