Author Topic: Calibration Speeds for Buffs  (Read 654 times)

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
Calibration Speeds for Buffs
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2002, 12:56:39 PM »
get sober first ;)

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2002, 09:36:55 AM »
The Lacaster is actually a very good jabo plane if the acks are ded and you don't ripp the wings when you pull up...Take out a hanger with 3 eggs everytime.
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline Frstrm

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.virtualworld.com
Speed is not the key, it's that alt vs drop alt.
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2002, 02:39:21 AM »
Speed is not the key to bombing...

It's all dependant on the alt vs drop alt.

I just use the speed to adjust my alt while i'm in my sight.

I have hit a base, turned 180 and come back and hit the base again without having to recalibrate.  Simply because I made sure my alt matched my drop alt.  You can do precise bombing using this method.

Do your initial calibration, then from that point on, just use your speed to adjust your alt while in the sight.

80% is stable level flight, 100% gradual climb, below 80% fast or gradual drop.

Using this method I don't have to carpet bomb, but can lay in the formations bombs right on the target.

Frstrm

Offline Fancy

• Copper Member
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2002, 10:41:50 AM »
^^^^

WHAT?!??!?  Speed doesn't matter?????  think about it for a second.  The bombs are released AT THE SAME SPEED THAT YOU R PLANE IS TRAVELLING.  FYI, bombs don't drop at a fixed angle but at an angle in relation to the speed of your plane.  Check my bombing stats to see what I know.

Offline Frstrm

• Zinc Member
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2002, 10:58:04 AM »
Then how come I can do a sharp 180 turn and hit percision on target by just verifing my alt = drop alt in sight?

Obviously a 180 turn back to target would greatly affect my speed, and thus by your argument throw off my sight calibration....

Frstrm

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2002, 12:11:21 PM »
If that really is the case the bombsight is auto-speed correcting.

GAMEY!!

Offline BGBMAW

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2002, 12:28:59 PM »
o h,,how dum we were when we were younger..well i guess som eof us our still"younger"...

Frstrm....if ur speed is not the sam as when u calibrated..you arent going to hit targt,,,,,

IF you were rigth every1 would be smashn toejam..and there are defntly not...

I will look at your boming stats see if tht says anything...actaully scrw it,,U suk,,,I can tell the way to are talking...maybe you are mistating yourself..I hope for your sake...

LMFAo...all u need is the sam alt!!...:D

Love BiGB
xoxox

Offline Frstrm

• Zinc Member
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2002, 11:38:13 PM »
All I can say is give a try and let me know what you find out...

Frstrm

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2002, 12:39:33 AM »
No.

Give us your "180 degrees turn with bombs hitting the target" in film.

Most of us won't bother to try what you have suggested because most of us have been trying to perfect bombing ever since the new bombing model came out. We already know by experience how incorrect calibration throws off the bombing accuracy drastically.

What you claim only makes us suspicious that you are using the precision bomb sight allowed in some dweebey arenas and H2H rooms.

So,  back up your claims with proof and then we'll believe.

As for the request for speed indicators, it's glaringly obvious what it's aimed at. With the speed indicators, you can effectively negate the need for a bomb run completely. "Mark" a spot, measure the speed and altitude, then do all kinds of wiggling, swerving to survive(of course, as limited as it is for the sake of the drones), and just at the last minute before drop fiddle with the throttle and lever so the plane is at the speed and alt which you initially calibrated and Voila, accurate bombing without a steady bomb run.

I strongly believe HTC left out the speed indicators at the bomb sight on purpose: to force bomber pilots to a steady bomb run, making it impossible to exploit the system.

What the bombers really need is this:

Bomber has control of the plane

The "mark" process of the real Norden bombsight wasn't just for measuring relative speed. It was for locating the target, adjusting the plane's flight path, and was also a timed auto-drop mechanism which the moment of drop was determined by how it was calibrated.

The most ideal alternative would be introducing the Norden bomb sight in exactly the way it was modelled in B-17 II. However, if it isn't possible, at least add in the auto flight path adjusting feature so the calibration process will be done in clear and simple steps:

1) "mark" target by pressing "Y" down:

( fine tunes flight path + measures relative speed)

2) click on clipboard map to measure relative alt

3) all done!

This way, there isn't any need for last minute adjustments in flight path which (even if it is ever so slightly) throws off speed and altitude. You've got everything calibrated right, but then you find out the flight path is a little off.. you have to fiddle with the stick until the flight path is right - small touches so it doesn't effect speed and alt much - and this takes some time.

A considerable waste of valuable time at the bomb sight because though you took all the careful steps to manage a good bomb run, the flight path 3~4 degrees off which can ruin all the good steps you went through.

Let the "press Y" "mark" process have some more meaning, which would enable the bombardier to move the marker to the target itself and take care of his worries with flight path management  and measuring speed at the same time.

With this modelled, no additional need to stay at the bombsight to verify you have a perfect flight path. Once you are sure you have calibration done well, you can confidently stay at gun positions and return to the bomb sight only at the moment of drop.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2002, 09:35:12 AM »
It is a shame that interspersed with some really good information there are just people who cannot keep away from being personally abusive.

Kwessa,..nice write up.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com