Author Topic: Arrogant Unnecessary B.S. in the MA  (Read 1715 times)

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
Arrogant Unnecessary B.S. in the MA
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2002, 05:03:05 AM »
Originally posted by beet1e
These guys like to cite that they're paying $14.95/month...

$14.95 a month gives you no rights other than to play the game.

It doesn't give you the right to play the game any way you please.  Just because you pay $14.95 a month, doesn't mean the game should be changed to suit your needs, or that others can't do things that you don't like.

There are other reasons for changing parts of the game, for fairness, fun, etc.  But your $14.95 means absolutly nothing.

Offline Fariz

• Silver Member
      • http://9giap.warriormage.com
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2002, 05:04:02 AM »
Originally posted by beet1e
I can think of yet another incident some months ago, in which Fariz took the CV away, without announcement and without consultation.

This point I agree with. I often use to say "sorry , I am getting cv", or often asked person who control cv to do something instead of getting control of it, even when I have rank. I do not do it always though, sometime because I am tired, or very busy somewhere else. But yet I agree with this one, when you get fleet from someone it shall be annonced.

Actually, for all my time in MA it was not a single time I remember when someone got cv from me, and annonced it, so this rule shall apply to everyone, not only to me.

Fariz

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2002, 05:33:09 AM »
"Actually, for all my time in MA it was not a single time I remember when someone got cv from me, and annonced it, so this rule shall apply to everyone, not only to me. "
Fariz

Well Im glad to see it happens to the others.

The other night the Rook cv was south of a8 and the numbers were about even but the Bish were upping many against the cv. Players were periodically turning the cv but the result was hindering flying operations. As a response I announced that I'd take control of the CV and set a straight course.

At several stages I offered the command to people flying off the cv but there were no takers. Anyway I turned the CV east as P21 was threatened and the Bish were upping in larger numbers against the cv. Rthus was trying to kill the ordanance at a8 but I felt that it was safer to move it away (still with in a grid of a8).

Then, having read WideWings disertations of control of TG's I got up in an SBD and set up a pattern over the cv so as to get the overall picture. Then when i was comfortable I looked down to see the CV turned and steaming west.

When I asked who had taken command the person responsible was to gutless to reply.  I was extremely p*ssed. But i didn't swear or curse, except at my computer. So I logged.

I was outranked. But at least the person who took it should have had the decency to tell me he was taking it away.

"pass the cheese please":D
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline stegor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2002, 05:36:53 AM »
Eureka!!
I've find the solution...
just ask HTC to give us bigger maps, so we can switch to another fight when someone ruins our planes; more, we need maps where CVs  have no great strategical importance..
in other words .... give us "pizza map" forever :D :p :D
You deserve it you whiners :p
Nibbio
4° Stormo C.T. "F. Baracca"

Offline Goth

• Nickel Member
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2002, 07:43:20 AM »
Next time, just find someone higher ranked and convince them to take over CV.

Offline Duedel

• Silver Member
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2002, 08:47:03 AM »
Taking a cv from one person is one thing that surely can be discussed.
Insulting someone like u did Bodhi is only embarrassing and shows the lag of maturity.

Offline FDutchmn

• Silver Member
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2002, 09:51:34 AM »
now now kids, let's be nice to each other :D

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2002, 10:22:01 AM »
t doesn't give you the right to play the game any way you please

That statement is so wrong, I wouldn't know where to start, but YES, YOU CAN PLAY ANY WAY YOU WANT.

This game allows you alot of options, so you can play however you want.  What you have to consider is if the effect of your actions will have a negative impact on the plans/actions of others.

Fariz is acting incredibly arrogant when he jumps in and decides his strategy is the only correct one. He acts like a jerk when he ruins the fun of others, he just might not understand what they are doing or why.

This game is not about strategy to everyone. It is more about having fun to some, the chance to cause havoc maybe, the chance to enjoy a selected fight, etc.

In the future, if someone acts in such an arrogant manner, taking the CV away from a fun fight, I will do whats necessary to effect that persons plans.  I have experienced too many jerks ruining a fun fight.

Personnaly, I think HTC should consider the idea about a group vote to remove a CV commander.  10 votes, you lose it for an hour.  

Dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2002, 10:51:45 AM »
Originally posted by Duedel
Taking a cv from one person is one thing that surely can be discussed.
Insulting someone like u did Bodhi is only embarrassing and shows the lag of maturity.

Clearly, there are better ways to deal with people than simply taking their CV without adequate explanation.

I would rather see the more experienced players oversee the TG, but not interfere with anything beyond advice, unless an emergency should arise where instant action is required, such as a low formation of bombers closing in and the TG commander does not respond to warnings that a hard turn is required because he is busy or lost vox, or for whatever reason, does not get the message. Simply grabbing the TG because you feel it can be better used is insufficient reason. If it's not being unduly endangered, or immediately threatened and/or at imminent risk, let them use it as they wish. Offer advice, teach them how to manage the TG, but just don't take it without adequate explanation. Start a dialog with them on the private channel. Talk, explain, help them, but don't berate them or treat them like they're idiots. They may not understand the strat considerations. Sure, they may not care if they lose the CV. In that case, exercise your rank. But, give them the courtesy of a discussion before you do anything. Oh yeah, don't be afraid to allow people to learn from their mistakes. This IS a game after all, no one really dies.

The goal is to get everyone experienced at managing the TGs. This way, there will be no need to hover over them, or take it away.

Just remember this, as the TG commander you have some responsibility to your fellow countrymen. Do not waste their asset selfishly. You can ruin other people's fun by being reckless with the CV just as you can ruin it by taking the CV away from someone or a group. This sword cuts both ways.

Finally, no one has the market cornered on brains. There are times when even the best strategic and tactical thinkers will be thwarted by circumstances or just plain bad luck. I've said it before, TGs are teams assets. They belong to the team. Remember that when you consider taking a CV from someone else. You may have valid Strat reasons for this, but consider the negative effect it will have on other teammates as well. There's nothing more annoying than being arbitrary. It's bad form to abuse one's rank, and it's easy to get so wrapped up in circumstances that one can lose their perspective. It's happened to me several times. It's a game and when you get frustrated, repeat that over and over till it sinks in.

All the strategic and tactical wisdom in the world gains you nothing without demonstrating respect and consideration for your teammates. Cooperation requires mutual respect and consideration. It also says a lot about you as a person.

My regards,

Widewing
« Last Edit: November 15, 2002, 11:08:51 AM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Lazer1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2002, 10:56:45 AM »
lol.. rank doesn't mean fariz can get anything done.  I could be ranked 300000000,000,0000000000000,928 and still fly the pants off of him.

Offline smash

• Copper Member
« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2002, 11:00:40 AM »
I enjoy working with Fariz, and have found the missions he sets up, strategy shown etc to be acceptable.  Recently there have been some real dweeb usage of CVs, but unless there's a concerted effort to use the thing in the first place it will go to waste anyway.

If someone seriously has 10 people working together using the CV as a base, personally I wouldn't take command of it even if I was certain it was going down the tubes.  If 10 guys are doing ANYTHING in unison - hey - more power to you.

But regarding the crack about "sitting in some third world country blah blah...."  Stuff it.  I have a good life and am very fortunate, but the fact that I have a few luxuries doesn't make me better than anyone else.  We all come into this world and leave this world the same way.....
ASUS ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10
Intel Core i7-6850K Broadwell-E 6-Core 3.6 GHz
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC GAMING ACX 3.0, 08G-P4-6183-KR, 8GB GDDR5X W/Oculus Rift
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600)
CPU and Vid are water cooled

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2002, 11:17:58 AM »
This thread strongly supports a statement that I made in a thread about arena numbers in the Gameplay forum a little while back.  That is:

"The strategy for successfully resetting the map in AH is not necessarily the same strategy for ensuring plentiful and balanced air combat."

And so yet again we have the emphasis in AH on "winning" the war conflicting with the desire for "furballing" and relatively balanced air combat.  Winning requires overwhelming force, attacking undefended or lightly defended bases, and thinking "strategically" in the choice of bases to capture; success comes from avoiding large quagmire-inducing furballs over strategically unimportant bases (how many times have people complained about the furballing going on at the central island on the NDIsles map?).  

Furballing on the other hand, to the detriment of winning the war, thrives on large, evenly balanced encounters over bases that may or may not possess strategic importance.  Every participant in a furball reduces the numbers available to attack the poorly-defended and strategically important bases elsewhere, reducing the chances of lightning quick base capture and prolonging the time until a reset.

It makes me wonder sometimes which game AH would like to be.  Strategy is well and good, but what is the point of an air combat simulator that by design discourages air combat?

-- Todd/Leviathn
« Last Edit: November 15, 2002, 11:20:25 AM by Dead Man Flying »

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2002, 11:38:53 AM »
Im so glad I'm in an squad with my buds.

Offline Eaglecz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2002, 12:03:16 PM »
who the fak cares rude ? ..... you should read this post and make some of your famous thead.... whinne of the week :D

Offline Gypsy Baron

• Copper Member
      • http://www.cris.com/~pstrogen
« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2002, 12:03:33 PM »
Originally posted by Fariz
This point I agree with. I often use to say "sorry , I am getting cv", or often asked person who control cv to do something instead of getting control of it, even when I have rank. I do not do it always though, sometime because I am tired,

or very busy somewhere else.

- SNIP-

Fariz

IMO, if you are not AT the fleet, actively engaged in it's
 defense or offense, then you should NOT be in command
 of the fleet...period!
Gypsy Baron  AW CPID 4580
B-17G 447th Bomb Group, 709th Bomb Squadron, Serial#42-31225

Scheherazade - Lt.Phillip P. Zanoya, Pilot

M/Sgt Kenneth N. Johnson, Crew Chief
126 missions without a single mechanical abort[/b