Author Topic: On Suicide bombing.  (Read 8059 times)

Offline JestrCAF

• Zinc Member
On Suicide bombing.
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2002, 03:37:53 PM »
Perhaps  limiting the ability of heavy level bombers or formation Buffs to arm unless they are above 10k?

Just a thought...

:)

Offline RDSaustinTX

• Copper Member
On Suicide bombing.
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2002, 03:45:00 PM »
Agree with ripsnort, etc.

Effort might be better spent fixing bombers, gv damage model, etc. Hell, I see nothin wrong with suicide bommin, although it's silly in the planes we use.

How about a perk kamikaze plane???   :D

mullah

Offline BigGun

• Silver Member
On Suicide bombing.
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2002, 03:45:53 PM »
I want to see effect if I or someone else drops eggs on target when they impact. If VH is hit, want to  know it immediately so others won't drop more eggs on it.

Also don't want to see VH destroyed but then come back up in 25 seconds cuz someone got shot down, augered or whatever.

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
On Suicide bombing.
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2002, 03:47:55 PM »
GV's would have another 30 seconds to spawn after you've bombed the VH?

I don't like that idea.

Offline Horn

• Silver Member
On Suicide bombing.
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2002, 03:48:31 PM »
Perhaps a bomb, falling from ANY designated bomber might have no effect on water craft. Ever.

Reduce the tonnage amount required to kill CV so that it can be done in reasonably by the bombs of a "real" jabo plane only. Take the lancs and B-series buffs totally out of the equation.

Just a thought.

dh

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
On Suicide bombing.
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2002, 03:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by LUPO
I think that Mitsu's idea would work better.

hehehe

the force holds the bombs in the bombbay where they detonate :)
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Ossie

• Copper Member
On Suicide bombing.
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2002, 04:00:52 PM »
In terms of penalizing suicide bombers, maybe if there's a differential between the plane that lawn darts shortly after pickling and the plane that gets shot down.

Offline gatso

• Silver Member
On Suicide bombing.
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2002, 04:05:59 PM »
The Jabo - Osty situation is probably the best example of why it would be a bad idea as a blanket 'feature' IMHO. If I get nailed by an osty right after I've released bombs I want the sucker to die even though I'm going to too.

There is a single situation where I think it could have merit and that is of course; ord delivered on an enemy CV. Even having said that I think the odds are less than even that it would stop more whines and/or unhappiness than it would create.

Otherwise I honestly think there are a few better methods that have been suggested by others recently:

Pitch and or G limits on when a buff can drop ord. (In a dive above a certain rate no dropping or bombs ineffective)

Bombs become 'hard' objects straight after release. If you drop one under neg G and it goes through your wing.... bye bye wing.

Gatso

Offline Alpo

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
On Suicide bombing.
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2002, 04:06:24 PM »
The level bombers should not be allowed to drop anything with an AoA greater than some "magic" number (obviously I don't know what that is), inverted, or anything other than level.  This limitation would have to be on a plane by plane basis as this would not apply to bombers which were designed for a diving type of attack mode.

Ground attack should be a dangerous game where planes are shot down.  IMHO, field ack is too soft (one little squirt of 7.92 shouldn't be able to kill a gun position)
SkyKnights Fighter Group -CO-
R.I.P.  SKDenny 02/03/1940 - 02/19/2012

Offline Catching Spies

• Zinc Member
On Suicide bombing.
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2002, 04:07:30 PM »
ordanance had a impact even if a bomber was destroyed prior... keep it real as possible.

Offline gatso

• Silver Member
On Suicide bombing.
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2002, 04:08:04 PM »
Or... One I just thought of.

For buffs with a bombsite only allow bombs to be released from the bombsite view. (auto level - no dive bombing)

May stop the most extreme cases.

Gatso

Offline Ouch

• Copper Member
On Suicide bombing.
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2002, 04:12:15 PM »
No.

As it is, I hate to attack Ostwinds.  

If my bomb isn't going to kill him if he hits me first, then I will just never attack them.  (and I don't think I'm alone in this.)  

Figure out some other way.  (I like the perk the bomb idea personally.)

While it sounded good the first 20 seconds after I read it, when I had a minute to think how it would impact ME (about as  non-suicide as you get),  I don't think it will fly.

Ouch out

Offline Mitsu

• Gold Member
      • Himitsu no blog (Mitsu's secret blog - written by Japanese)
On Suicide bombing.
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2002, 04:21:20 PM »
Anyway I disagree.

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
On Suicide bombing.
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2002, 04:26:23 PM »
Nossir, I don't like it.
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline ZePolarBear

• Zinc Member
On Suicide bombing.
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2002, 04:28:26 PM »
Too keep it relatively real why not code in the fuzing for the bombs.  Also I agree with the above suggestion that you should not be able to drop bombs in a buff with the f6 sight unless you are in the bombardier position (then limit the amount of maneuvering the bombardier can do with the plane).

One question is what about planes that carry torps, force them to be in the bombardier position as well...nahhhhhh.

Anyway on to fuzing, No bomb should count from any sort of drop (level or Jabo) unless the bomb is released X distance above target ( similiar code to the parachute drops I guess) say 2-4K.  That way buddy has to release ordinance a decent distance above target and can't ride the bomb delivery platform down to 500 ft above target and drop just before he becomes one with the hangar.  Combine with the bombardier rule and it you will hopefully realize a realistic tradoff between keeping the kamikazes out of the game and allowing for ground fire, compression or other dweebiness that we all suffer from on occasion.

ZPB