Author Topic: Snowflake  (Read 1820 times)

Offline gatso

• Silver Member
Snowflake
« on: December 28, 2002, 01:17:28 PM »
I've been messing around with the TE for a while. Made a few small maps to make sure I know what I'm doing. Have got everything working on a small scale so time to go big.

MA maps: As far as i'm concerned have got to be as balanced as possible. So your looking at 3 sections that are identical, something along the lines used in AKdesert. I know what I don't like about AKdesert so I've designed a concept along the lines of what I would like to play on.

I've not submitted it to HTC yet, I want to work out the Elevation data and strat placement first.

Comments, no matter how trivial would be appreciated before I open the TE and it gets hard to modify.

Gatso

Offline gatso

• Silver Member
Snowflake
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2002, 01:19:02 PM »
Showing base placement and zoning for a single country. Other countries would be identical.

Offline gatso

• Silver Member
Snowflake
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2002, 01:20:13 PM »
Finally a close up of the base placement. Z indicates a zone master field by the way.

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
Snowflake
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2002, 01:39:27 PM »
I like it.

NUTTZ

Offline Horn

• Silver Member
Snowflake
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2002, 02:04:58 PM »
Very Nice!

Is it your intention to split the "middle" island 3 ways? If so, I was wondering if you have enough room.....

dh
(just learning TE)

Offline gatso

• Silver Member
Snowflake
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2002, 02:20:54 PM »
Originally posted by Horn

Is it your intention to split the "middle" island 3 ways? If so, I was wondering if you have enough room.....

Yes and yes. Although it doesn't look like a very big space on paper you have to  remember each sector is 25 miles wide, each side of the triangle that that island makes is 100 miles long. It's plenty of physical room to get all 15 bases in. It'll be a bit like a larger version of 'furball island' on NDisles, at least thats the intention.

Gatso

Offline gatso

• Silver Member
Snowflake
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2002, 02:27:55 PM »
Another thing I think I need to do, Either combine the lower 2 zones or split the top left zone to try and get roughly the same number of fields in each non-HQ based zone. Just something I thought of while writing the above post...

Gatso

Offline Horn

• Silver Member
Snowflake
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2002, 02:28:08 PM »
Originally posted by gatso
Yes and yes. Although it doesn't look like a very big space on paper you have to  remember each sector is 25 miles wide, each side of the triangle that that island makes is 100 miles long. It's plenty of physical room to get all 15 bases in. It'll be a bit like a larger version of 'furball island' on NDisles, at least thats the intention.

Gatso

ahhh, cc, thanks -- I like the look of it.

dh

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
Re: Snowflake
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2002, 04:08:59 PM »
The neat thing about this is that at 1st glance it does not seem symetrical..............
Ludere Vincere

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Snowflake
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2002, 07:41:52 PM »
Looking good

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
Snowflake
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2002, 11:09:35 AM »
Originally posted by hitech
Looking good

thats a good sign

Offline gatso

• Silver Member
Snowflake
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2002, 12:32:29 PM »
HT must have been in a good mood :)

Early days yet.

I've got the elevations sorted for each land mass though...

'Water not 0' gave me a headache until I took a break and a solution popped into my head while having a cup of tea  :) so thats not a problem anymore. I'm giving making at least some of my own tiles a shot too, seems silly not too. So far finding directly overhead photos of appropriate bits of countryside is harder than making the tiles themselves. hehe.

Got the TE to make a map while I was checking elevations. Makes it look 'real' compared to the above working drawings.

Gatso

Offline DOODY

• Copper Member
      • http://www.most-wanted.org
just because you have space,,,
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2002, 12:39:47 PM »
Originally posted by gatso
Another thing I think I need to do, Either combine the lower 2 zones or split the top left zone to try and get roughly the same number of fields in each non-HQ based zone. Just something I thought of while writing the above post...

Gatso

Doesnt mean you have to use it!!

Offline fffreeze220

• Silver Member
Snowflake
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2002, 12:57:07 PM »
Gatso is ur map using default ground textures ?
Freeze

Offline Esme

• Copper Member
Snowflake
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2002, 01:16:30 PM »
Looks good to me, m'dear. Main things I dislike about AK desert are the extreme elevations (way too much high terrain and not enough low terrain) and the extreme changes in elevations over-used (something I dont like about the central island in NDisles, btw).

I wouldn't be worrying about the numbers of fields in each sector within a country being equal, as that also adds a strategy twist. As well as certain points within a sector being of prime importance to attackers, it also makes certain sectors within a country of more or less interest to attackers, if the numbers of bases within each sector are not identical.

Can I put in a plea for some patches with decent amounts of cloud? Including some largeish overcast areas floating around?  And clouds at varying altitudes? Including some places where the clouds will run into the terrain as the terrain rises? That'd mean the possibility every now and then of ground battles in the fog, or trying to hit targets that for a short while can't be seen... :-)

Esme