Author Topic: WW2OL - Yes another 500 post thread - Revisted  (Read 1653 times)

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
WW2OL - Yes another 500 post thread - Revisted
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2003, 12:14:19 AM »
Stand down from this one Toad, I could almost have wrote tardcases response, and knew hed miss my entire point. I thought it would be quick, but didnt know hed be waiting on it like a organ donor. Im about 7 minutes behind. (I did enjoy the sobbing cynical newbie cant play, neither will you sarcastic touch I couldnt have hoped for any more)

TC, I shouldnt have downloaded anything. I bought the first disk long ago, and smashed it, reasons apparent, no need to rehash. But this was a Dec 24th store copy.

So lets go from a new users standpoint, and not consider Im not completely retarded and have played sims for 13 years, but still a buyer that would be attracted to the boxed $14.95 Reader Choice Edition of WWIIOL.

I should have know to    d/l the full install from the D/L page. That cd is a least 4 update behind.?

Really? You explain that to the buyers of that new disk, no sense me pointing out how ridiculous that is.

I could have lengthened my post to explain that a newbie WOULD be completely miffed, and I was, and that left a lot to be desired to keeping a players interest, at the critical stage of introducing a game. A pay to play game at that.  But I left that out just so you could point out WWIIOL misses the mark entirely in this aspect. Its kinda the point.

And we wont argue graphics, your opinion just doesnt correlate with mine, which is fine. Ill have fun with BF1942 other than its aircraft section, because regardless of complexity, it delivers interface thats fun, user friendly, and intuitive. Aside from the toejam samich graphics, WWIIOL with that going for it might be terrific. What a concept.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2003, 12:19:37 AM by Creamo »

Offline -dead-

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2003, 02:14:40 AM »
Originally posted by Vulcan
WW2OL has such a simplified FM its like playing Tie Fighters vs X-Wings.

Shame on you Vulcan! You should know by now - as Hardcase has tirelessly repeatedly pointed out on this board - that in any area where ww2ol physics and reality differ, it is reality that has got it wrong. Presumably we all just have to hope our stupid universe will get it right in the next patch. :D
“The FBI has no hard evidence connecting Usama Bin Laden to 9/11.” --  Rex Tomb, Chief of Investigative Publicity for the FBI, June 5, 2006.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2003, 06:37:26 AM »
Oh, I HAD intentions of playing, back when I was a WW2OL beta tester.

But some of the very things Creamo just mentioned irritated the dew out of me back then.......

............and I see they are STILL present like the trip to the 8th dimension purgatory after you die. In those hideous old days, it always made me wonder if WW2OL had locked up my machine again. Maybe THAT was the excitement......

Like I said. Maybe I'll wait a weeeeeeeee bit longer.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2003, 07:45:02 AM by Toad »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2003, 07:29:49 AM »
Stand down from this one Toad, I could almost have wrote tardcases response, and knew hed miss my entire point. I thought it would be quick, but didnt know hed be waiting on it like a organ donor. Im about 7 minutes behind. (I did enjoy the sobbing cynical newbie cant play, neither will you sarcastic touch I couldnt have hoped for any more)

Anyone can throw barbs, but few do it with such panache. As for the rest of the debate, no thanks. :D

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2003, 07:47:57 AM »
Graphics seem fine at 1024 with all the bells and whistles turned on

On my system (1.2GHz 512mb GF3 64mb) it barely runs satisfactorily at 800x600 @ 32bit and often drops to low single fgures when there are a few vehicles in view. Considering the dated looking engine I expected better performance.

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2003, 08:03:08 AM »
It  looks dated because its online. The budget of Polys is tight. Did you run it with High Performance checked? Few other tweaks can be done. It needs all the free ram it can get. PPL runing say XP lose more than 100+ megs just loading the OS. Datter is running ww2 with almost that same rig and flying. Give a post over at the community forums and maybe we can up the fps for a few. BTW, Nvidia is optimized for 1024x768x32.

HC

Offline Dowding (Work)

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2003, 08:13:09 AM »
Tried it again (I was a subscriber for a good few months but when I cancelled my credit card and ordered another one, I couldn't be bothered to tell playnet).

Played for about an hour, before deciding I had more interesting things to be getting on with - I managed to read a few more pages of Antony Beevor's 'Stalingrad' whilst taking a most satisfactory dump.

Apart from the brief interlude with WW2OL, it was a most pleasing day.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2003, 08:16:35 AM »
"Tough crowd, Tough crowd!"

:D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2003, 08:18:08 AM »
I think Warbirds III has shown you don't need low polys just because it's an online game. It looked dated the day it launched and I still find much of the terrain has a washed out look. I've tried running it at various settings and still not got a satisfactory detail-performance ratio. Is the free trail still running? I cancelled my account in November and briefly tried online at the start of the trial period. I have a HOTAS Cougar profile to test. The memory requirements are still laughable IMO considering the dated look of the game, newer more detailed sims run just as well on lesser machines. One other aspect I find frustrating is there not being much of a visible indication of hits on AC, all you get is some hokey looking smoke that changes colour, no debry or hit sprites. They have also made the radio system overly complex and the documentation for the whole game is very poor.

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2003, 10:08:00 AM »
How many cities does WB3 have? Bridges, trees etc. It is not just the polys on the ac in ww2ol taking up the budget. Frying Tiger is not a slouch at coding graphics, it is a lack of budget so that ppl with p3 800s can play with a decent Frame Rate. Graphical damage is wanted by everyone. It is on the front burner and I am looking forward to its implementation.

HC

I know ww2 will never look like a standalone or 32 player peer to peer game. Just the nature of the beast.

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2003, 10:25:59 AM »
What do you regard as a decent framerate? I very much doubt someone with a P3 800 would get a respectable frame rate, at the moment (been online the last hour or so testing my Cougar config) I'm getting lots of stutters and the whole interface seem to lag at the start with key presses not being reported in the game. FWIW the cities in Warbirds look much more realistic particularly from the air and the ground clutter is not all that special in WW2OL, they are like carboard cut-outs like walls etc and hardly beyond either Warbirds or AH's engine I suspect. Graphical damage is definately needed, just ended a tank mission in a vickers (think it was anyway) and got credited with damaging an me110 but had not clue I had done it whilst in action.

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2003, 10:39:00 AM »
Ok now some questions...

Hatch control (key 'h') does'nt seem to do anything on the vehicles I've tried so far (key 'h' is also to hitch field guns so is this an error in the keymapper?)

Also mixture control, is there a visible clue to what setting it is at or does it even work at all as so far it does'nt seem to do anything (Left CTRL-M, Right CTRL-M and Left SHFT-M)

Also jettison bombload, open bomb doors and deploy weapon all mapped to 'd' key?

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2003, 12:20:39 PM »
I think the point that the fan boys are missing is this: They say that in order to enjoy the game you need to play it long enough that you know what you're doing and aren't a newbie.

Well....in order for that to happen, the game would have to be interesting and good enough to hold my interest while this process takes place. The game is a boring turd....

Little catch 22 there eh

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2003, 12:48:58 PM »
Actually all you have to do if find a fight and finding a fight is not that hard. Once you take a mission you are tuned to the mission and the objective channels and from there you just play on. Being a newbie is not a problem, not trying to even begin to play is the problem. Walking for 20 mins is silly, then blaming the sim.

HC

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2003, 12:52:38 PM »
The O key opens hatches and cockpits. H is used to hitch towed guns. The ' key toggles the three settings up and the ; key drops them down. Econ, continous and Max rpm settings are avliable. Can you fight in any wb3 city, get into the bildings? You are comparing apples and organges.

HC