Author Topic: Htc.. Fix Your Damn Vox!!!!  (Read 1264 times)

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
Htc.. Fix Your Damn Vox!!!!
« on: January 03, 2003, 10:59:28 PM »
I am so tired of VOX dropping out during play. The only way to fix it is quit out of AH entirely and come back in.

That is NOT possible during TODs and is really becoming a big problem in my opinion.

HTC knows it's broke, we all know it's broke. So, HTC, please either fix it right, or give us the option to disable it and use Roger Wilco or TeamSpeak again.

Offline jordi

• Platinum Member
      • noseart
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2003, 11:07:59 PM »
VOX worked fine for my Squad in tonights TOD.

YMMV I guess.

Jordi
AW - AH Pilot 199? - 200?
Pulled out of Mothballs for DGS Allied Bomber Group Leader :)

Nose art

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2003, 12:19:13 AM »
It's been working a lot better for me the last several weeks. Probably haven't lost twice in that time. Prior to that it was once or twice a night.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2003, 12:22:26 AM »
Is this arena specific?

I haven't lost vox in the MA in so long I can't remember. Using a SB live with the DX Sound accleration cut back to 3/4.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2003, 12:56:54 AM »
I have never lost VOX. However I sure wish that squad vox had priority over range vox, and the ability to squelch range would make me happy:)
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2003, 01:02:02 AM »
You know, we all know there are people out there who don't experience this problem, but it does happen. It has been reported many times, it has been told what hardware is used many times.

There is a bug, and it happens to some more than others.

One of my squadmates looses his entire vox regularly, sometimes a couple times an hour.

Another, looses ability to transmit, but can still hear us talking.

My vox, and another squadmate's, regularly looses the +20dB boost which needs to be manually reset. (even though the +20dB boost says it's still on, I have to uncheck, then recheck it to get my VOX transmit volume so people can hear me.

This last VOX problem happened when a squadmate was transmitting and was shot down (pilot killed). The VOX window indicated he was still transmitting well after he had stopped. His name stayed on the VOX indicator until he logged out, but VOX never came back.

Bottom line is, if HTC is not going to fix it properly, then we need to be able to turn it off and use something else. We've tried to use TeamSpeak and Roger Wilco, but AH VOX interferes with both of them.

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2003, 01:37:15 AM »
I used to have chronic problems with my vox cutting out, then I heard someone mention turning down the hardware acceleration for sounds from full acell to 3/4ths.  I did that and now I've had several nights without any problems.  Not quite as nice as getting a fix from HTC.  but I might do the trick and be done much quicker. :)
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2003, 02:40:13 AM »
vox booted on me tonight.. it is quite aggravating.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2003, 03:47:53 AM »
Lower your sound acceleration from Full to Standard in DXDiagnostics and disable any MIDI features your sound card has.

ack-ack

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2003, 05:09:02 AM »
Since v1.11 my vox has either dropped out or an old problem (when AHVoice was a separate file) where my vox goes really quiet and I can't increase the volume.

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2003, 05:50:26 AM »
Rude?

Offline fats

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2003, 06:11:45 AM »
Funked,

Why you would consider this to be rude is beyond me.

// fats

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2003, 07:10:58 AM »
The turning down the hardware acceleration for sound has nothing to do with any problems and is not a work around for the voice system.
Hardware acceleration for sound is a bit misunderstood.  When you run full hardware acceleration, it tells DirectX to just hand off the sound data directly to the sound card driver.
All fine and good, but it means if the hardware does not have enough buffering ability, the sounds get dropped, lost, garbled, or some other malady.
Turning down the sound acceleration allows DirectX to help with the buffering, which smoothes quite a few things out.

The most common problem I have seen with sound occurs with onboard sound devices.  They lack the buffering of a PCI based sound card requiring the local CPU to handle the sound data, which means the sound card driver has to manage it.
With a PCI based card, they typically have external hardware buffers which allow the data to migrate to the sound card and the data is handled there, instead of local CPU memory.
This usually lowers the CPU utilization for sound considerably, and reduces the chances of lost or dropped sounds.

The voice system requires a certain amount of Internet bandwidth in order to work.  If the local client machine's network bandwidth is being overrun, voice could be lost.  Nothing we can do about this.  The problem is exacerbated when you have many players talking over the voice channel.

I am not saying the system is perfect.  We are always looking at ways to improve everything in Aces High.  However, the problems I get reported about voice usually are associated with onboard sound chips, sound cards/chips sharing interrupts, old drivers, multiple installations of drivers, or poor Internet connections.

Jumping on the board and yelling "fix it!" is not going to solve anything.  How could it?
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2003, 07:44:03 AM »
Thanks Skuzzy, I hope you don't think I was demanding anything, just adding that I also had problems. I did a search at Creative and found some drivers that were released late July this year perhaps this will help. Up until now vox has been good for me and some squaddies had a few problems, now they all work fine and I don't..just my luck!

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2003, 07:58:13 AM »
I do know that when you recieve a player id in vox and it remains in the upper corner, just alt tab out and back in again...that will fix it.

I don't have the problems some speak of here, but of course, I'm a computer genius and build my own puters so that explains it.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2003, 08:02:06 AM by Rude »