Author Topic: Why many unsophisticated Yanks visit Europe (Pictorial/Bandwidth!)  (Read 2911 times)

Offline Naso

• Silver Member
      • http://www.4stormo.it
Why many unsophisticated Yanks visit Europe (Pictorial/Bandwidth!)
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2003, 08:19:09 AM »
And check this link:

http://gi.grolier.com/wwii/wwii_16.html

http://www.486th.org/Photos/Misc/stats.htm

In 2 minutes of search.

Oh, i realized just now.... the others were only "untermenscht", people from other nations, so not really humans. :rolleyes:

Sieg heil, Amerika!!

Sorry Toad, did'nt resist :D

Offline Naso

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2003, 08:21:22 AM »
Originally posted by Bonden
unsubscribed from this thread

buh bye!!!

Offline H. Godwineson

• Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2003, 08:56:34 AM »
Why can't we just say that the great, freedom loving nations of the world put aside their differences, stood shoulder to shoulder, and defied the most evil dictatorship of the 20th century?  

Or is that statement too saccharine?

Beetle, if you want a recent example of what can happen to an unarmed civilian population let me refer you to the recent unpleasantness in Bosnia known as "ethnic-cleansing."

The victims were an unarmed minority of Muslim civilians.  Several actions were taken by the U.S. and its allies to bring that lunacy to an end.  Air and ground troops were set to Bosnia to act as a peace-keeping force.  Also, local Muslim militia and resistance groups were given arms to defend themselves against their murderers.

Typically, after the situation was brought "under control" the Clinton administration tried to convince these Muslim groups to return their arms and ammunition.  Needless to say, they were reluctant to do so.

Shuckins

Offline Naso

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2003, 09:11:58 AM »
Originally posted by H. Godwineson
Why can't we just say that the great, freedom loving nations of the world put aside their differences, stood shoulder to shoulder, and defied the most evil dictatorship of the 20th century?  

Shuckins

That's nice.

(Well, my nation was on the other side, but I think it's better for us to have lost this war)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2003, 09:16:13 AM »
still amazes me each time I watch a WW2 documentary and they state the daily losses of some of the major battles in the THOUSANDS...

media would have a field day today as this generation doesn't have the backbone that generation did.

to those who have fallen so we may stand today
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline H. Godwineson

• Nickel Member
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2003, 09:54:15 AM »
Naso,

Mussolini's greatest mistake was in supporting Hitler.   He undermined his accomplishments by doing so.

Rommel commended some of the Italian units under his command in North Africa for fighting with great bravery and skill.  Italian troops never earned a reputation for cruelty and brutality, unlike the Nazi SS.  Many Allied leaders realised that the Italian populace were most unwilling participants in the war, for the most part.  The "evil" of that war is most often associated with Hitler and his Nazi cohorts, not with Italians.  

Salute.

Shuckins

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2003, 10:09:57 AM »
Originally posted by beet1e
Shows what happens when too many people have guns. :rolleyes:

Germany had very strict gun control prior to WWII. So, it wasn't an armed civilian populace that resulted in millions of deaths.

I think that tight gun control is probably a necessity for an oppressive dictatorship to survive, whadda you think?
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2003, 10:13:09 AM »
the reason I visit europe:

beer
wine
babes

the reason I love America

beer
wine
babes
cars

Offline VOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2003, 10:16:00 AM »
Good point Eagler. If one or two soldiers die in a foreign land to hostile fire, it's a media circus for days to include a White House press conference. I don't think we will (fortunately) ever see another war on that kind of scale.

As far as this thread...I accept no personal credit for actions I had no personal part in; it's an injustice to the fallen.

I respect the fallen as well as the survivors on all sides.

Thanks for posting these pics Toad You certainly drew alot of fire. In the future, please don't use the sacrifices of the last century as ammunition to fire at the likes of dimwits like Beetle. It isn't proper and it's alot like singing to a school for deaf children anyhow. I did enjoy a few minutes of reflection looking at them, so again.

To those of you who don't like Yanks: Fine. I probably wouldn't like you either. It's ok though, Ive made enough friends abroad to know better than to hold your respective countries accountable for you. Now piss off.

To everyone else: Greetings from the U.S.A
:)

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2003, 10:21:13 AM »
Originally posted by Eagler
still amazes me each time I watch a WW2 documentary and they state the daily losses of some of the major battles in the THOUSANDS...

media would have a field day today as this generation doesn't have the backbone that generation did.

to those who have fallen so we may stand today

Don't be so quick to judge. Every day I drive by Adriane Mitchell Park on my way to work. SHE gave her life in the gulf war.

I think we still have plenty of heroes.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2003, 10:44:13 AM »
MT

never said we didn't have heroes today

what I meant was suppose the first ground action in Iraq gets 1000 Marines killed -in a single day -by some sort of chemical attack by Iraq...

Do you think the media and many others would be screaming for Saddams head or to get out troops the hell out of there? What would have happened in WW2 if everytime we lost 1000 souls the media sensationalized it ... another Vietnam that's what. We'd all be speaking german ...........

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2003, 10:50:00 AM »
Eagler - you can't compare Vietnam and certainly not any new Gulf war to WW2. WW2 was a just a war as you could ever get - against a perverted, tyrannical power capable of enslaving the whole world.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2003, 10:57:42 AM »
I believe I can as far as public opinion goes

If it weren't for Pearl Harbor, all of you across the great pond may very well be speaking German...

The average Joe wasn't concerned with Hitler and his armies.
Not until we were attacked at PH was there a unifed outcry.

I believe we learned from history (knock off the small nutbags before they get to be big nutbags) as other seem to have forgotten..

Offline AKS\/\/ulfe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2003, 10:59:01 AM »
against a perverted, tyrannical power capable of enslaving the whole world.

So this is not a good description for the Communists about to take over S Vietnam?
-SW

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2003, 11:05:24 AM »
BTW - Dago, threatening someone over a BBS is so...weak and infantile. Do you think it makes you look the tough

I expressed my desire, did not make a threat. Please seek help with reading and comprehension. I guess English schools are as pathetic as the dentistry.

"Well we saved your asses, so you should agree with everything we say and do."

How about pulling your head out of your ass?  It's more like, Well, we saved your asses, how about not having an amazinhunk like Beetle spend his time attacking everything he can about our country continually?

Toad, those pictures seem to hint that only Americans sacrificed their people for the sake of freedom.

To discuss or highlight one subject is not and should never be taken as an attempt to ignore other subjects.  Toad only pointed out that an awful lot of Americans died fighting to protect and free people in Europe, nowhere did he even hint they did it alone.  This is just a poor attempt to mitigate his observation.

What do people like you trying to claim personal credit for for something that other people did two generations ago

Neither Toad or myself take credit for what all those brave soldiers did.  That is obvious to anyone capable of intelligent thought.  You are just looking for a way to attack, and being less than capable, it guess this is your poor attempt.

Just show, as reparation, the dead count for all the countries in WWII, to have the REAL perspective.

Sure, show them all, then consider how many faught on their own soil to defend their countries, versus how many like the USA were not under direct attack or direct threat, yet came to fight to help free the oppressed, the threatened and help restore freedom and liberty?

And YES, I would still like to kick Beetles ass, but no, I am not threatening him.  I dont have opportunity, and will not bother.  Instead I suppose a better man would just silently pity someone with such obvious psychological problems.
He can try and brush off his nonsense as "good fun" or "just yanking our chain", but it really speaks to his need for attention, his envy of the USA and an attempt to feel better about himself and his country by putting down others. It's a noticable trait among school children also.

I would suggest if Beetle wants something to stew about, how about contemplating and challenging the English desire to be an "empire"?  Maybe he can petition his government to get the hell out of Ireland?

Dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"