Author Topic: Why many unsophisticated Yanks visit Europe (Pictorial/Bandwidth!)  (Read 2910 times)

Offline rc51

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Why many unsophisticated Yanks visit Europe (Pictorial/Bandwidth!)
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2003, 11:17:06 AM »
toad, you're as bad as the jews who use the holocaust to weigh their argument every time they need to make a point about something

Mr fish as a Jew I take offence to your stupid remark.
I can think of six million reasones why us Jews might be a little pissed.

Offline rc51

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2003, 11:18:20 AM »
Oh and toad.
thx for the reminders of the the brave young Americans who died to protect the freedoms of those ungratefull euros.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2003, 11:19:21 AM »
I just don't get it.

Why is this Beetle bait so enticing to everyone? He simply points out differences, and is understandably biased toward his own country. Duh!

I think the English are pretty cool. Who else on Earth can clench their teeth while spitting in 3 different directions?

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2003, 11:27:13 AM »
AKSwulfe - so when they did take it over and win the war, did the world fall? Did Communism reign?

If Nazi Germany had taken over Russia and Britain, do you think the US could have held out?

Dago -

I expressed my desire, did not make a threat.

Does anyone else fail to see the distinction?

I guess English schools are as pathetic as the dentistry.

How breath-takingly original. I didn't realise I was dealing with an intellectual big gun.

Ooops, shouldn't have mentioned that word.

How about pulling your head out of your ass? It's more like, Well, we saved your asses, how about not having an amazinhunk like Beetle spend his time attacking everything he can about our country continually?

How do Beetle's comments have anything to do with me? I'm not his minder. But I do find Toad's post disrespectful.

I would suggest if Beetle wants something to stew about, how about contemplating and challenging the English desire to be an "empire"?

Priceless. Absolutely priceless. The British Empire died on the battlefields of WW1. There was no manpower left to administer it in the post-war years.

Most modern Britons haven't a clue about the Empire. I doubt they would know who Queen Victoria was or what the Raj represented. Any British empire building ended 50 years ago - it's the furthest thing from anyone's mind, I can assure you.

And if I was in any doubt as to your stupifying ignorance regarding the UK...

Maybe he can petition his government to get the hell out of Ireland?

Idiot. Despite what you might have learnt from the movies, the population of Northern Ireland is split 60/40 in favour of staying part of the United Kingdom. And if that's too much for you to compute, that means most of the population regard themselves as British and want it to remain that way. The place would be a civil war battlefield if not for British troops, a la the Balkans.

Now if you have any more ignorant, ill-founded and idiotic assumptions for me to blow out of the water, send them my way.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2003, 11:29:42 AM by Dowding »
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline AKS\/\/ulfe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2003, 11:30:45 AM »
No Dowding... but the way you worded it applies just as well to the communists that wanted to invade and conquer S Vietnam. They tried it just a few years before in Korea.
-SW

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2003, 11:36:00 AM »
Does anyone else fail to see the distinction?

Apparently you are the only one who failed to see the distinction. Nobody else mentioned me "threatening" Beetle.

How do Beetle's comments have anything to do with me? I'm not his minder. But I do find Toad's post disrespectful.

Disrespectful?  I find his post a refreshing reminder.

Now if you have any more ignorant, ill-founded and idiotic assumptions for me to blow out of the water, send them

I can think of a lot more, and I will be glad to share them in each of Beetles future anti-American posts.

I know, maybe we can get together at some English Flight Sim based Con?  Oh, I forgot, there are none worth mentioning.  Too busy in the pub to develop one I guess.  hahahahah just made another one.  :)

BTW, 40% want you the hell out of Ireland, thats a lot of people who hate your country being on their soil.

dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2003, 11:55:07 AM »
Originally posted by beet1e
Shows what happens when too many people have guns. :rolleyes:

They become independant of Britain.

BTW how did that gun control thing work out for Northern Ireland last century ?

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2003, 11:58:49 AM »
It wasn't a reminder, like say a Rememberance Day parade is a reminder. It was a counter point to a stupid argument about Yanks travelling abroad. THAT is why it is disrespectful. It was a used in a petty way (see Santa's post for more detail).

I can think of a lot more, and I will be glad to share them in each of Beetles future anti-American posts.

I don't think he will be making any, so why not post them here?

know, maybe we can get together at some English Flight Sim based Con? Oh, I forgot, there are none worth mentioning.

They just had one. Do a search for it on the BBS.

Too busy in the pub to develop one I guess...

Wait in a minute - I thought we some evil Imperialist power a few posts ago? I would imagine it take great organisational ability to run an empire, but now we can't organise a con for a computer game because we are all drunk? A little fickle aren't we? :)

BTW, 40% want you the hell out of Ireland, thats a lot of people who hate your country being on their soil.

Ok, so we completely pull out and let them do what they want. Now we have 60% of people who want us back living under an undemocratic system. I thought you were American? How can you propose such a solution?

BTW, it would be a blood-bath if Britain pulled out - that's why troops have never been pulled.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2003, 11:59:55 AM »
Originally posted by StSanta
Ah the use of the sacrifices of so many Americans to 'win' an argument in a discussion about whether/why Americans aren't so inclined to travel. Well, unless their government forces them to. This is hereby declared a red herring fallacy.

This link explains just what such a fallacy is.

Extract: "A Red Herring is a fallacy in which an irrelevant topic is presented in order to divert attention from the original issue. The basic idea is to "win" an argument by leading attention away from the argument and to another topic."

Here, the attention has gone from the American lack of interest to travel to the sacrifices made by Americans under orders from their Commander In Chief. It should also further be noted that the author uses another fallacy - appeal to emotion. Hard to argue with all the emotions those crosses bring forth.

I must say however Toad, that your fallacies are the most beautiful and exquisite, often delivered in a very convincing way and with an extremely powerful emotional backing.

So when it comes to grades: A D- for using a fallacy or two, but then an A+ for the type and strength of fallacies used.

I shall now give the audience a moment to wipe tears of their cheeks and present Toad with a standing ovation.

:D

Heh, sorry Toad. Just dragged myself outta bed, and am in cranky mode :D. PTFFFH!
For this thread to be a red herring form of invalid argument Toad would need to be debating an issue . He isn't. He just stated a fact .

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2003, 12:00:24 PM »
Oh dear...we have decended again.....

Eagler...just want to point out that your saying that if it wasn't for Pearl Harbour we would all be speaking German is a weak assed thing to say.

Are you suggesting that America only fought because THEY were attacked?  So, it had nothing to do with wanting to destroy the will of Nazi Germany to dominate the world...it was all just a big knee jerk reaction?  That is just sad.

...and IF I were being antagonistic about the American involvement I COULD suggest that Americans sat back and got rich while Europeans fought that great evil for almost 3 years before you brave Americans jumped in to save us all.  

Furthermore, I could also suggest that America waited until Britain (the most powerful nation at the time) bled itself dry on fighting Hitler and then took advantage of the situation to then become the most powerful nation itself.

But...I won't say all that.  That wouldn't be nice.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Cobra

• Nickel Member
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2003, 12:07:15 PM »
Hehe....I don't think Toad mentioned that no other country sacrificed their young in this war.....He just highlighted the memorials for the US sacrifices...I'm sure the likes of Curval, et al, can post their memorials as well, and Toad would those sacrifices.

As far as a Red Herring...probably, but hell, it's no redder or less of a herring than Beetle's posts, so please share your Red Herring indignation equally...or at least be least hypricritical about it.  

Cobra

**Edited for the red herring indignation part, I just read that other Beetle thread...Dowding and others have shared it equally...
« Last Edit: January 07, 2003, 12:17:18 PM by Cobra »

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2003, 12:08:43 PM »
sad as it may be, it is history

before PH the majority of cits in the US wanted to stay out of the war

and it is my belief that if those white crosses were not planted over there, german would be your language today

today the US tries to rally Europe support to eliminate small threats b4 they become big ones and she is ridiculed by those most affected if/when no action is taken

damned if she does & damned if she doesn't
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2003, 12:12:12 PM »
American bashers just can't get over the fact that Liberty is higher on an american's heiarchy of needs than life and physical health .

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2003, 12:13:29 PM »
Originally posted by Cobra
I'm sure the likes of Curval, et al, can post their memorials as well, and Toad would those sacrifices.

Agreed, but if Toad were to deny the fact that this wasn't in some small way a vieled attempt to say "We Saved Your Ass" he'd be telling fibs.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline AKS\/\/ulfe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2003, 12:14:15 PM »
...and IF I were being antagonistic about the American involvement I COULD suggest that Americans sat back and got rich while Europeans fought that great evil for almost 3 years before you brave Americans jumped in to save us all.

roadkill... the men that sat back were poor as hell... Great Depression, that ring a bell?

And for a year and a half America fought it's own war on it's own front- in the Pacific. A war America was ill-equipped and ill-prepared to fight.

Germany was only half the problem.
-SW