Author Topic: And the award for Cheesiest Fighting goes to...  (Read 970 times)

Offline BotaBing

• Copper Member
And the award for Cheesiest Fighting goes to...
« on: June 11, 2000, 04:28:00 PM »
The loser Panzer drivers who make a solo raid on an airfield, sit next to a hangar, and pick of planes coming onto the runway.

I swear, in the last week, I have noticed more and more people pulling this lame bellybutton stunt, which in my opinion is a clear abuse of a game bug.

Some guy rolls a panzer towards an airfield where there is no action happening. The airfield anti-aircraft guns, all of them, are laying down a massive stream of shots at his Panzer tank. For some reason, it has ZERO effect, and he can sit there as long as he likes. 2 nights ago, I watched a guy sit in an enemy airbase in a Panzer for 20minutes.

Meanwhile, someone on the enemy team sees a red dot in his base, so he rolls a plane out of there. The guy snags him on the runway, or on the first low-E pass. Easy kill. Meanwhile, he has positioned himself to be pointing at the ground-vehicle tent, and has easy first kills on anyone who tries to roll a tank out to fight him.

Eventually, after 5 or 6 kills, someone snags him, but he's racked up a 6 to 1 kill ratio.

Incredible cheese. Honestly, the kill stats are losing their meaning to me when I see how easy it is for people to abuse the game and get kills.

I really hate to be a whiner, but its cheese-balls like this that ruin a game for me.

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2000, 04:40:00 PM »
Are you saying a fighter should be able to take off from a field which has enemy tanks nearby?  The easy solution is to jump in a tank and go 1 on 1, which is probably what the tank driver wants anyway.  He drove 20 minutes to get there and you just want him to let you take off in a HogC so you can strafe him?

[This message has been edited by ra (edited 06-11-2000).]

Offline Exile

• Gold Member
      • http://www.simladder.com/
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2000, 04:54:00 PM »
All this will change with 1.03. A tanks not gonna be able to sit there with impunity when the more powerful acks get a bead on him.

"The generic ack has been replaced with multiple types including high alt flak bursts. Light and heavy MGs, 20mm's, 37-40mm's, and 88's are now represented with their own characteristics."

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2000, 05:01:00 PM »
The ack will hurt you, but it takes a long time. Remember, you are sitting there in an armored vehicle. If you play it right you can take all the ack down without dying or taking significant damage.

Lame for getting to a spawn point and killing people popping on the runway? I don't think so, especially when it is easy to lift off from another base and take the guy out. If you keep respawning on the same field and get killed, well, you need to re-evaluate your technique.   As Ra said, one F4U is more than a match for any tank, and you can get the guy in nothing flat from most nearby fields.

Spend some time in a tank. Try to roll that thing up on a heavily defended field. You will quickly see there are plenty of hawg pilots that will hand you your head post-haste (and I would be one!). Isolated attacks on neglected fields are part of the game, and it is a good thing IMHO. You want that guy to stop? Bomb his Vehicle Hangar at whatever VBase he is spawning from. Level the ack (there are only 2) and bring in the goon. No more tanks at your airfield!  

FWIW, I only consider something terribly off when there is no solution to a particular problem. In earlier versions, B17's could go way above the effective interception altitude of any fighter in the game. Now (with the advent of the P38) this is no longer the problem it was, so it is only a minor annoyance. People used to hate the fact that endless respawn enabled single-plane base defense. With destroyable hangars, defense of a base can be made nearly impossible. Now if someone strafes your troops on the runway, you have only yourself to blame.

See what I mean? There are ways to eliminate the behavior you dilike (in your area). Some people are enjoying the game as it is, and eliminating a feature you dislike (when you have the tools to prevent it yourself) is not a good idea.  

Offline BotaBing

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2000, 05:15:00 PM »
There are plenty of spins that don't relate to my post, and I agree with most of what's posted here.

The point I am talking about is how CHEESY it is for someone to be able to sit, in one single tank, in the middle of an active enemy airbase and just pick people off.

Its cheap, easy kills, and its an exploit. There is no way that a tank could withstand direct fire from 8 anti-aircraft guns for 20 minutes.

Also, its not 5 or 6 kills of the same guy, its the fact that some times they dont show up on the radar, and people just take off there thinking things are normal, and pow some tank hiding inside a hangar smokes them on the runway.

there is no way to defend that type of play, and there is no way to kill them with an airplane if they are using the hangar trick.
Also, if the do it like i saw the other night, they are parked in a hangar, facing the ground vehicle tent, and they just smoke the enemy tanks as they spawn because they are already set up with how far it is to the tent, etc.

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2000, 05:21:00 PM »
 Tanks are going to have real fun if the 88's at the base start firing at them 3 miles out  

Udie

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2000, 05:35:00 PM »
It seems to bother you most that the guy is well rewarded for this tactic. To be rewarded however he has to have idiots that will spawn under his guns. As most everyone have pointed out, the panzer is easy meat for any half decent hawg driver all it takes is the patience to fly 10 miniutes form another base for a sure kill.(or a panzer ditch). Either way it takes you alot less time to wreck his fun than it did for him to set it up.
I dont see this as  real probelm. It is probably the intention of most panzer drivers. Its not cheesy or dweeby.
IMHO

------------------
"Stupids are like flies. they are everywere, but are easy to kill"
RAM

funked

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2000, 05:37:00 PM »
BotaBing, I just go somewhere else.

Offline BotaBing

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2000, 06:13:00 PM »
Yeah thats what I do now as well.

What bothers me is that he gets a reward in the scores/ranking, and I get a penalty.

2 or 3 nights ago, I logged in, went to what appeared to be a deserted airfield, and got in a plane to start taking off. Within 15 seconds, some loser in a tank hidden inside a hangar had me killed.

He gets a kill for the ranks. I get a death for the ranks. Total cheese.

There was zero chance for me to see him, zero realisticness in him sitting in our base taking ack fire all that time, and zero honor in that kind of kill.

funked

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2000, 06:17:00 PM »
Well, whatever the scoring system is, some people will do silly things to exploit it.  Just ignore them and try to have fun.

Hans

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2000, 06:48:00 PM »

The airfield anti-aircraft guns, all of them, are laying down a massive stream of shots at his Panzer tank. For some reason, it has ZERO effect, and he can sit there as long as he likes.

SAY WHAT!?!

He is a tank.  A figgin TANK!  That the point.  He really IS immune to small caliber weapons.  All that armor isn't there for looks.

Why the hell are you trying to take off from an airbase that has been overrun by the enemy's army?  There is no rule saying the enemey cannot fire at you till you are ready.

Your not making much sense.

Hans.

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2000, 06:52:00 PM »
Sorry Funked, can't agree on it being silly to hide in a tank to get kills. That is being smart...  

If you pop onto a base and see the ack going crazy, you know it is shooting for a reason. What's more, you need only get popped once to realize something is wrong at the base. There are ways to detect ground vehicles, if you pay attention.

BotaBing, you are taking a pretty hard line on the subject by saying there is "no honor" in a tank making an attack on an undefended base. Again, I strongly suggest you try riding in a tank a while and learning just what the limitations are. You will see that stealth is the only way to hope to survive lone-wolf forays into the world of AH. Tankers have rightfully been concerned with the difficulty in surviving a mission, let alone scoring any kills.

I don't mean to suggest I believe everything is perfect, but how would you suggest a tanker might be honorable in an attack at a base, without guaranteeing instant destruction (for the tank)?

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2000, 07:28:00 PM »
If there is a lone tank at the field you have a few different options available.  For starters he can't keep target of all the hangars, unless some have already been destroyed.  Either go head to head in another pnzr (choose HE/AP and you can get two rounds off very quick!), or go up in a plane with cannons/bombs from either the runway or hangar.  If it has the runway sighted then go across the grass.  

I always look from the Tower before taking off so you should see if there is any enemy present.  

Regards

'Nexx'

[This message has been edited by Replicant (edited 06-11-2000).]
NEXX

Offline BotaBing

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2000, 08:55:00 PM »
Hehe maybe some of you didnt read all my posts in this thread, or maybe you're not grasping what I'm talking about, or maybe I should just lower my expectations...but I guess my point was that one enemy tank is not going to "overrun" an entire airbase.

In case you have never seen an anti-aircraft gun fire, let me assure you its impressive. Not to mention an entire field of AA guns, which are not just small munitions, but which include ammunition of various size and loads and functions.

The idea that one single tank could roll into an active armed airbase and sit there for over 20 minutes is far-fetched to say the least.

The other night, I moved to an airfield, had no clue whatsoever that there was a tank there, and started to taxi. Pow, 15 seconds, I'm dead, got another death, and he got another kill.

That's not smart, its not good strategy, its a joke or an exploit, and I really don't see any other explanation in this thread so far that can justify someone acting like that.

Of course there are lots of options, as I promptly returned in a hog and destroyed him.

I'm excited to hear about the new guns going in, because it should make for a much more realistic environment. I'm sorry, but there's simply no way possible that one single tank could park in the middle of an armed and active air field and just plink off unsuspecting planes for 20 minutes.

[This message has been edited by BotaBing (edited 06-11-2000).]

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2000, 09:18:00 PM »
I think putting up with the noise the AA guns make with all those hits is reason enough...it's worse then getting killed  

- Jig