Author Topic: Complete Military history of France  (Read 1998 times)

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
Complete Military history of France
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2003, 03:40:32 PM »
As for the genocide of the Native American, those peoples were being cheated, lied to, stolen from and "ethnically cleansed" almost from the day Columbus landed. Research will again show that the overwhelmingly huge majority, a majority measured in tens of millions throughout North and South American, had already been either displaced or "cleansed" long before 1776.

True, it did happen from day uno. I don't take issue with that. But it often sounds like an attempted displacement of guilt when an argument containing the words 'the British started it' is dragged kicking and screaming into the debate. That is why I replied.

The US was responsible for its part in ethnic cleansing after gaining independance. The US was responsible for its part in the slave trade after gaining independance. That has been my argument all along.

Want to talk who first brought slaves to the North American continent?

Who started (and pretty well made inevitable) the eradication of the Native American?

If that doesn't sound like a shifting of blame, then I must be going nuts.

We win our independence and inherit the institution.

The very people who instituted and supported both slavery and native displacement were the merchants and land-owners who now formed the new American government and nation. At that point they now had free will, but chose to continue.

These are simply historical facts. Those of you that would cast them as attacks on a particular country are showing your bias.

Particularly given the comments made by some of people in this thread that excuse their remarks about the US so diffidently and easily. Apparently you laundry men don't like to see the dirty laundry of YOUR homeland aired out on the neighborhood line either, eh?

Now, I'm going to pick my way through your comments very carefully. I wouldn't want to jump to any conclusions, would I?

I assume the facts you refer to are those concerning slavery etc. Ok, that must refer to me because I'm the only one discussing those facts with you. Then you go on to say those that see them as attacks (the facts about slavery, which only I am currently discussing with you) are showing bias "...Particularly given the comments made by some of people in this thread that excuse their remarks about the US so diffidently and easily." You see the only conclusion I can draw from that? That I've made remarks about the US. What are they and why exactly am I excusing them?

Because, I'm at a loss to understand what you are banging on about.

I don't dispute the facts. Slavery and ethnic cleansing occured in the British Empire all the time, and that includes the US colonies. Mea culpa, sins of the fathers... yada, yada yada. I dispute the interpretation of those facts to say that Britain was responsible for acts by US citizens after independance was achieved. That's not personal responsibility. That's a vague shifting of the blame which I know you dislike so much.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2003, 03:45:53 PM »
The Americans fought a bloody civil war largely over the slave debate, don't forget that. However they had to fight over that, being the last "civilized" nation to benefit from slave work.
The "who started it" is obsolete here.
Anyway, wasn't this about the French?
Bloody trout bashing, or Cod bashing perhaps.......
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline -tronski-

• Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2003, 10:24:42 PM »
Geez Tojo your a funny bastard

You did however miss the Gulf War where the French were involved - nothing remotely funny concerning that, I noticed in your post....or is it that not enough French soldiers were killed to make it amusing enough for you?

Tronsky
God created Arrakis to train the faithful

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2003, 11:42:54 PM »
What it is is simply a more complete historic picture. It easy to snips and snaps and make a new collage like hawk220 did. Take issue with that all you like, but it's simply history.

You replied because you felt the British were being insulted or slammed? Or what?

Because it's merely unassailable historical fact. I can't help it if you find history objectionable.

You'll note I never tried to absolve the US for it's actions against Native Americans or for participation in slavery. That's simply historical fact too. It happened; there's no disputing it, no denying it.

You must be going nuts because there's no shift of blame. There's history. The US inherited the institution.. and most if not all of it's Indian policy.. from the English colonies that they were.

The very people who instituted and supported both slavery and native displacement were the merchants and land-owners who now formed the new American government and nation. At that point they now had free will, but chose to continue.

Yes, indeed they did. As did their former Motherland for quite a few more years. And it wasn't as easy to end in the US; it took a bloody war rather than a law.

Ok, that must refer to me because I'm the only one discussing those facts with you.

Keep it straight. I drew a more complete picture than Hawk220 and you took issue with that.

And what I said, in full was "These are simply historical facts. Those of you that would cast them as attacks on a particular country are showing your bias."

I haven't typed anything about England that isn't true, nor about the US. I haven't attempted to "shift blame". If you ARE trying to cast this statement of history as an attack on England, you are showing your bias. IMO, of course.

I dispute the interpretation of those facts to say that Britain was responsible for acts by US citizens after independance was achieved. That's not personal responsibility. That's a vague shifting of the blame which I know you dislike so much.

Dispute all you like. But who are you disputing with? No one here that I've seen has tried to make that case. No one has tried to shift any blame for the actions of the US after Independence. My remarks addressed the period prior to Independence.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline stegor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2003, 04:10:43 AM »
Thread like this just make me sad.
When someone write a thing like this, whats his objective??
Humiliating a nation??
Humiliating france AH players or french BBs readers?
Maybe one thinks to be a great Historic doing this?
Maybe one can say "how awful is my country" and how "shit" is another, and feel proud of it??
Tell me , in which manner do we need thread like this??
The only thing I can wonder reading this  is that absurd fundamentalism is not only a muslim fact, nor evil and stupidity, it seems.
But we just know that.
Nibbio
4° Stormo C.T. "F. Baracca"

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2003, 09:19:38 AM »
Thread like this just make me sad. When someone write a thing like this, whats his objective?? Humiliating a nation??
Humiliating france AH players or french BBs readers?

Yep.. no sidestepping here, no fancy dancing. What part of "the French have screwed us again" don't you get? What we're doing is putting to print the disgust and annoyance we feel with a nation that continiously insults our intelligence by defying plain facts in favor of lining their pockets with a dictators cash.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2003, 11:06:11 AM »
I read a news aticle the other day that france had put its military on alert and is maybe moving a carrier into the gulf region.  The conventional wisdom is that it was preparation ot join in the effort to disarm iraq if necessary.  I did however notice the quote from the goverment that "They should be ready for anything".

The conspiratorial part of me wonders if the surrender-monkeys are actually stupid enough to consider militarily interfering with our efforts.

There is some dark part of me that almost wishes they'd be that stupid.

Ah...CNN:

that France has sent an aircraft carrier to the Eastern Mediterranean on Tuesday and that Chirac had said to French troops in a New Year message that they should be ready for anything this year.

Wab
« Last Edit: February 08, 2003, 11:09:36 AM by AKWabbit »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2003, 12:28:58 PM »
One of the stupidest threads ever, so much missinformation in such a small package . Here's something for you to ponder as you go on your way french bashing. If you have an english surname, your ancestors were french. If you're writing in english, you are writing in french . If this confuses or surprises you perhaps you should visit your local library .

Offline stegor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2003, 12:59:55 PM »
Yep.. no sidestepping here, no fancy dancing. What part of "the French have screwed us again" don't you get? What we're doing is putting to print the disgust and annoyance we feel with a nation that continiously insults our intelligence by defying plain facts in favor of lining their pockets with a dictators cash.

Hang ,I understand your right to put here your feelings, but is it necessary to begin from Gallic wars, and go on blaming thousands years of French History to explain your opinion?
And why ridiculize a single nation here, maybe french AH players are responsible of political decision of their government?
I admit that French, Usa.... or any other country politicians can take decision that I don't like , but is this a reason to ridiculize in such way that nation History??
Noone likes his nations be treated like this, I think, cause everyone has feeling that bind him to the history of his country, regardless of present political situation
Nibbio
4° Stormo C.T. "F. Baracca"

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2003, 03:36:15 PM »
We insult and take cheap shots at our friends and neighbors with whom we have so much in common with while at the same time uncivilized antisocial monsters plot our destruction . This is complete counterproduction .

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2003, 04:04:02 PM »
Hang ,I understand your right to put here your feelings, but is it necessary to begin from Gallic wars, and go on blaming thousands years of French History to explain your opinion?

Hi Stegor!.. No sir.. it's unfortunate that when one posts in a thread, one begins to wear all the laundry exhibited up-thread.

I do not believe I have refrered to french acts in a previous age to make any point about french attitudes or political posturing in this one.

Frances postion and posture regarding the removal of saddam hussein, the french position regarding american efforts in striking back against terrorists and the nations that succor them is disgusting. The french policy of public political defamation of american intent in Iraq while lining their financial pockets with saddams money is also disgusting to me and most other americans.. and THAT is the only point I'm trying to make in this tread.

I read a news aticle the other day that france had put its military on alert and is maybe moving a carrier into the gulf region. The conventional wisdom is that it was preparation ot join in the effort to disarm iraq if necessary. I did however notice the quote from the goverment that "They should be ready for anything".

Rgr That Wab.. but I rather doubt the french will do anything more than make a pro-forma show of support militarily for the regime change in Iraq. You see, if the French attempt to intervene in support of saddam, they will lose ALL financial intrest in Iraq.. and oddly enough; the french ALSO have significant financial intrests in America. They'd lose those too. No.. France will do what best benefits France.. and what best benifits France is NO action to remove Saddam.

Since they KNOW we will do what we are going to do despite France's duplictious and underhanded attempts to defame our nations policy of regading the removal of saddam, they will then do the NEXT best thing in Frances intrest.. offer token military support during the regime change. Not because they support the removal of this mass-murderer, but because they wish to preserve their financial intrests in the region.

We insult and take cheap shots at our friends and neighbors with whom we have so much in common with while at the same time uncivilized antisocial monsters plot our destruction . This is complete counterproduction .

Tell the French, Suave. Friends don't try to stop friends from doing the right thing.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline T0J0

• Silver Member
« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2003, 07:07:50 PM »
The post was humor nothing more.. Bad humor obviously...
 And it was discussed and flamed and picked apart, and hijacked many numerous times...
 Amazingly enough we all can discuss topics in an open forum and not risk execution for are thoughts, we can talk about religion and not be persecuted or hunted down, our families will not be executed for opinions and discussions we have...
 Its a beautiful thing.....
Enjoy your freedom to communicate, others can not...

No I am not apoligizing for bad humor!!
 Deal with it!!
T0J0

Offline ET

• Copper Member
« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2003, 09:57:43 PM »
The only reason they have trees lining Paris boulevards is so Germans can march inthe shade.