Author Topic: Thoughts on why Christianity is fake  (Read 2725 times)

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
Thoughts on why Christianity is fake
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2003, 11:36:12 AM »
In this context "what if you are wrong?" is a pretty straight forward veiled threat concerning some sort of negative consequence if one does not accept the traditional Chirstian view on religion.  

You can try to tip-toe around the whole "hell" issue and be a smart bellybutton but the second you brought up the old tired "what if you are wrong?" argument  in this discussion you cannot avoid the fundemental implication and belief that not being a Christian means a trip to hell.

But I'm sure that will go right over your head...

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2003, 11:42:23 AM »
Not again.

Einstein believed in Spinozas God, that is, that the universe was God if anything. A deist. This quote ought to help:

"I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." Upon being asked if he believed in God by Rabbi Herbert Goldstein of the Institutional Synagogue, New York, April 24, 1921, Einstein: The Life and Times, Ronald W. Clark, Page 502.

That a dancer supports the theory of evolution doesn't add credibility to it.

That a scientist is a theist doesn't add credibility to theism. Evidence would. Personal beliefs is just that - personal and *belief*.

X2Lee: let us assume for a second that God is called Barney and is an atheist loving God, sending all believers to hell instead.

This is enough to invalidate Pascals Wager, which you're using.

Not gonna add anything other than corrections to this thread methinks.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2003, 11:48:16 AM by StSanta »

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2003, 11:53:09 AM »
BTW lets not forget Kuuullax. :)

Offline -dead-

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2003, 11:55:12 AM »
Originally posted by Ratbo
The single best *objestive* argument I've ever seen for putting stock in the Christian faith:
Even secular history shows that almost all of the 12 apostles met a violent end for refusing to back down on what they were preaching.  (this is different than meeting a violent end fighting in some Jihaad or fanatical combat)
Exactly what did these people *see* that led them to be so sure of their beliefs that they would rather die than recant their position?
-W
That's a lousy argument: by its own logic, it's objective proof for putting stock in pretty much any faith whatsoever. The logic seems horribly flawed to me though. Timothy Leary got locked up for preaching about what he *saw* too. So what?!? Does this mean he was totally right? I don't think so. Thousands have died for their country - every country. Does this mean every country is right? Again - I think not. Thousands of people have been persecuted for their religion - every type of religion. There's also thousands of different types of heretics who died without recanting their faith in some heresy or another. What about all the witches in Europe - were they right? Personally I think people "meeting a violent end for refusing to back down on what they were preaching" conveys no "right" or "wrong". It merely implies they are very stubborn and, in my opinion, socially inept.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2003, 11:57:36 AM by -dead- »
“The FBI has no hard evidence connecting Usama Bin Laden to 9/11.” --  Rex Tomb, Chief of Investigative Publicity for the FBI, June 5, 2006.

Offline crowMAW

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2003, 11:55:57 AM »
Originally posted by Ratbo
Even secular history shows that almost all of the 12 apostles met a violent end for refusing to back down on what they were preaching.  (this is different than meeting a violent end fighting in some Jihaad or fanatical combat)
[/b]

I think "almost all" is a bit strong...a couple are known to have met with persecuted ends: Peter at the hands of the Romans and the Jewish historian Josephus reported that James Alpheus was stoned and then clubbed to death by the Pharisees. But what of the rest:

Judas - Suicide
John - means of death is by conjecture only but is thought to be from old age
Bartholomew - There is little information concerning his death, even by tradition.  Some Christians speculate he was crucified in India, although crucification was not a known practice in India.
Philip - Again, the Bible does not say when he died nor do we have accurate information.  There are contradicting traditions as to his death.  Some say he was crucified.  Others say he preached in Phrygia, and died at Hierapolis tortured to death at the hands of a Roman Proconsul who personally carried out the torture.
Andrew - Conflicting reports speculate he may have been crucified while preaching in Asia Minor or possibly in Southern Greece
Matthew - Some of the oldest reports say he was not martyred, while others say he was stabbed to death in Ethiopia.
Thomas - Tradition claims that he died in Syria when pierced through with the spears of four soldiers. Conflicting reports indicate he died in India.
Simon - No reliable information about his death, but there is a legend about his martyrdom in Persia
Jude - Conflicting accounts, but possibly crucified.
James the fisherman - Reports confuse this James with James Alpheus, but he may have been beheaded.

Unfortunately, of the 12, we only have reliable info on the death of 2.  All the other accounts are speculation by revisionist historians wanting history to say what they desire.  The truth is that we don't know.

Exactly what did these people *see* that led them to be so sure of their beliefs that they would rather die than recant their position?[/B]

I'm sure they saw the exact same thing that Jews who refused to convert "saw" when threatened with death by Christians.  And by any political prisoner who refuses to recant their position and die as a result.  Or by any POW who chose torture and death over publically denouncing their country.

But since so little is known about their deaths, how do you even know that any, besides Peter, were given the opportunity to recant before being killed?

Offline air_guard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2003, 12:04:59 PM »
what about islam (almoust identical books), dont be a rasist tell us the fake about that too ? :D

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2003, 12:05:32 PM »
Here you go.

St. Thomas Aquinas .. proof of God

The first and more manifest way is the argument from motion. It is certain, and evident to our senses, that in the world some things are in motion. Now whatever is in motion is put in motion by another, for nothing can be in motion except it is in potentiality to that towards which it is in motion; whereas a thing moves inasmuch as it is in act. For motion is nothing else than the reduction of something from potentiality to actuality. But nothing can be reduced from potentiality to actuality, except by something in a state of actuality. Thus that which is actually hot, as fire, makes wood, which is potentially hot, to be actually hot, and thereby moves and changes it. Now it is not possible that the same thing should be at once in actuality and potentiality in the same respect, but only in different respects. For what is actually hot cannot simultaneously be potentially hot; but it is simultaneously potentially cold. It is therefore impossible that in the same respect and in the same way a thing should be both mover and moved, i.e. that it should move itself. Therefore, whatever is in motion must be put in motion by another. If that by which it is put in motion be itself put in motion, then this also must needs be put in motion by another, and that by another again. But this cannot go on to infinity, because then there would be no first mover, and, consequently, no other mover; seeing that subsequent movers move only inasmuch as they are put in motion by the first mover; as the staff moves only because it is put in motion by the hand. Therefore it is necessary to arrive at a first mover, put in motion by no other; and this everyone understands to be God.

He may be wrong, but pretty eloquent stuff for a 13th century cleric don't you think.

Offline Nomde

• Nickel Member
      • Web Master
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2003, 12:13:19 PM »
Born and raised Catholic, but here's my general belief:

1. Do not take the bible literally, word for word.
2. The bible has many wonderful stories in it and a great number of these describe how to live peacefully with your nieghbor.
3. The bible has been mis-translated, mis-understood, and mis-quoted since its creation.

Bottom line, i've used the catholic version bible as a foundation for morality. But I read it carefully and research its contents as best I can to understand the meanings of the stories.

Too many use this book for justifying themselves for unjust causes by mis-quoting portions. The crusades and inqusitions are just the tip of the iceburg, IMHO.

Use it wisely, use it to learn how to love thy nieghbor.

Nomde
56th Fighter Group "Zemke's Wolfpack"
nomde@56fg.net

Offline X2Lee

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2003, 12:39:36 PM »
Originally posted by -dead-
That's a lousy argument: by its own logic, it's objective proof for putting stock in pretty much any faith whatsoever. The logic seems horribly flawed to me though. Timothy Leary got locked up for preaching about what he *saw* too. So what.

Timothy Leary was one man.
There are 12 of them willing to die because of something they saw.
Find another instance where this happened.
You dont die for a dead leader....

Offline X2Lee

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2003, 12:54:58 PM »
Originally posted by StSanta

That a scientist is a theist doesn't add credibility to theism. Evidence would. Personal beliefs is just that - personal and *belief*.

Right on Stsanta. Its my personal belief and I have hope in it.
Like I said every man has the right to believe in what he wishes.
I didnt believe in God till i was in my late 30s. I was way to scientific to believe in the "mumbojumbo"
I had a religious experience where I felt I met God and now
I talk to him.

I guess I am insane....
I most certainly threw away logic for a "feeling"

There are things in this universe that we cannot fathom no matter how smart we *think* we are.

It is true arrogance to think we can know anything about the way the universe was created and how we came to be and that there is no God.

NO amount of secular logic will sway me because I been there and done that.

Grun you may think I am too stupid to argue on your level, but the truth is its a waste of time. No logic will ever sway anyone.

Its something
you have to experience for yourself.

Offline Rasker

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2003, 01:23:36 PM »
Say, if the Devil is evil, shouldnt he be *rewarding* sinners? Have an inverse St. Peter at the gates of Hell, checking records, handing out rewards, shaking hands and patting backs? Showing us to our comfy chairs? :)

Offline -dead-

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2003, 01:49:22 PM »
Originally posted by X2Lee
What's your point? Are you saying you have to have at least 12 guys willing to die for a dead leader to make your religion the truth? Still opens up the field to pretty much every religion in the world. Let's see: The Jews - they don't even have a human leader, but I'm sure we can find 12 Jews killed for their beliefs. The muslims - I'm sure mohammed was dead by the time they were persecuted and killed in the crusades & in Spain. Buddhists, Taoists, Confucians, Witches, whatever - all have been persecuted & killed in large numbers for adhering to beliefs espoused by dead leaders. All these things that all these people throughout "saw" have conflicts both internally (sects) and externally (religions). Which one is right? Are you seriously basing your perception of a religion's truthfulness by some sort of body count?
Your chosen religion can have 57 varieties of martyrdom for all I care - it still doesn't demonstrate whether it's true or not. Objectively, it merely shows you have lots of stubborn and/or socially inept adherents.
“The FBI has no hard evidence connecting Usama Bin Laden to 9/11.” --  Rex Tomb, Chief of Investigative Publicity for the FBI, June 5, 2006.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2003, 02:00:24 PM »
I agree that you cannot sway religious types with logic. and I dont think I was trying to do that.

However I did ask a very simple moral question as to why an all powerful all loving god needs to have this punishement of eternal suffering if one does not heap praise upon him. To me thats clearly a petty and vein human trait - not very big or grand or wise...

And I think thats definitely a fair question to any religius type.

Offline X2Lee

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2003, 02:00:57 PM »
Originally posted by -dead-

Your chosen religion can have 57 varieties of martyrdom for all I care - it still doesn't demonstrate whether it's true or not. Objectively, it merely shows you have lots of stubborn and/or socially inept adherents.

Riggghttt, then youre point is that all these guys were so stupid that after thier "cult leader" was killed and mocked in front of them that they all would rather die than say he was dead.

They must have all been idiots.
I guess thats kinda your point too.

I would have said hes dead myself.

Unless I saw him alive after he was killed...

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2003, 02:04:27 PM »
Originally posted by X2Lee

You're kidding?