Author Topic: Aces High trial: Short version  (Read 2804 times)

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Aces High trial: Short version
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2003, 12:09:27 PM »
Originally posted by Stickman
One of the bigger questions I had (and have asked several times online), how exactly do the voice coms work, and what do I need to do to set them up so I can use them? People have been talking to me, but I'm unable to respond and they may have thought I was being rude. One guy did tell me I needed to set it up in Windows and AH, but didn't give detail. To be fair, though, I'm pretty sure he was engaged.

I've mapped my R key to be my range mic (meaning if you can see their icon, you can broadcast to them, though it may also apply to anyone launching from your base - not sure about that).

I've mapped my T key to be my squadron mic.

To map your keys, you'll need to go into the Clipboard and find the keymapping button, then follow the prompts.  I found that remapping the keys to match the commands in AW and CFS2 greatly improved the learning curve.  I use:

D=drop flaps
F=rasie flaps
G=Gear
H=Hook
A=alternate secondary weapon
R=Range radio
T=Tuned radio
O=Open/close doors
E (3times) = Eject! Eject! Eject!
P= WEP
X=autopilot level
Alt X = autopilot max climb
Z = bombsite
Esc = Clipboard
, = left brake
. = right brake
; = both brakes
Spacebar = dive brake (nice and big so I won't miss it when I panic)

To use the voice, you need to have a microphone.  Then, you can adjust the volume in Windows.  I also adjust the volume in AH so that voices stand out over the sound effects in the game.

To broadcast, you'll need to hold the key down while speaking, then release the key when you're done.  If you want to know who's speaking to you, you'll see their name in the upper right corner of your screen.

To tune my text radio, I just hit the / key to bring up the text window.  You'll see different boxes above the open text line and each one has a different command for it.  You can click your mouse over the box and it will show you a pull-down menu of different options.  For instance, I have / as my country channel, Cntrl / as my squad channel, and Shift / as my mission channel. So, if I wanted to talk to the whole country, I'd hit / and type "GoFaster is your master. You will obey." (but without the quotes).  If I wanted to communicate with a squaddie, I'd hit Cntrl / and type "Shillelagh Squadron rocks!".  And so forth.

Is this what you needed to know?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2003, 12:20:22 PM by gofaster »

Offline maxtor

• Nickel Member
Re: Aces High trial: Short version
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2003, 12:32:15 PM »

The big problems I have are getting people to answer questions,  

I'll presume you check "No" in the training box when you first logged on?  This was probbaly not the best way to go about it.

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2003, 12:49:45 PM »
How much trouble is it to type out a 5 word answer to someone?
Absolutely none at all - and if I see you asking any such questions, I will definitely answer.  :)
Finally, if mentioning that I was unable to get answers to questions seems like a whine, maybe I'm wasting my time here as well.
It certainly does not appear like a whine to me, but I was most surprised to hear it..... at first I thought it must have been due to the huge numbers in the MA recently, but then realised you were referring to the CT.  Unfortunately, I very rarely go into the CT due to it being fairly empty at the times I am online (UK timezone) but, from what I have heard of the players who fly there, it seems highly surprising that you got no answers.  As someone else said, I can only think that everyone was busy at the time and didn't see your questions....  :(
I was initially pretty excited about trying AH again after a few years, but that's wearing off quick.
Please don't be discouraged by the negative responses you have received.  I hope you will continue to try AH again, and maybe decide to stay.  You would be most welcome to take part in any of our special events too while you are here..... see the Calendar above, or my Special Events Announcement for detail.

Meanwhile, you may wish to check out the Radio page at Netaces.org for very comprehensive details of the radio system.

If you are in the MA anytime, and see either Flossy or FL0SSY online, please do give me a call and I will help you all I can.  :)  
« Last Edit: February 26, 2003, 12:51:59 PM by Flossy »
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2003, 01:14:28 PM »
Stickman, in a game with upwards of 700 people you're going to find that there will always be at least a few that are immature and/or rude. Here's a useful radio command: .squelch

If you can thicken up on your skin just a bit you may find Aces High to be a very satisfying if not addictive experience.

BTW, I've found that alt-F4 does just about everything. ;)
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline BNM

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.christian3x3.com/
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2003, 01:42:31 PM »
Did you play a few months back under the handle "Mandie"??? :)  Just kidding, inside joke... Seem to remember you from somewhere. You're more than welcome to wing with me anytime and I'll answer any question I can for ya. I play on the Knights and I'm up most week nights and saturdays. Cya up

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2003, 02:22:16 PM »
If you can't find help in-game Stickman, then here on the BBS is the place to do it.   Finding good help in ANY game is pretty much a hit-and-miss experience.  It's the same way in WB's...sometimes you get lots of help, other times you're ignored.  

I'm afraid I can't help you with voice coms though...I never use them (no mic).

There is a "CT" arena as some have noted.  I'd rate the pilots of the CT about equal as the MA pilots (contrary to what pro-CT players will want to say), and the overall fighting tends to be slower-paced for the most part.  The CT is a decent place to try if you want a historically-based setup, although it will likely not be for you as the P-38 isn't usually available (the planesets rotate in no particular order).  Otherwise it has little to offer over the MA.

Speaking of the P-38, it's a highly capable plane in AH (P-38L) not unlike its WB's counterpart.  The largest problem you are likely to have is with the automatically retracting flaps.  Unfortunately this is a known issue with AH that is not going to be fixed in the near future (posibly when AH2 comes out next fall).  As with any P-38, rudder/flap use is a must and it'd help to have dual throttles.

If you haven't already, ditch that default gunsight for a custom one.  Also download Mitsu's soundpack (backup your original sounds first).  That will add unique sounds for every plane and vehicle, which is important since sounds are sorely lacking in the default AH download (probably its worst problem).  I pick and choose which of Mitsu's sounds I want to keep; some I like and others I replace with different ones or the original ones.   If you're interested, search for the link in the Sounds forum.

Hope you find this useful.

J_A_B

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2003, 02:44:04 PM »
Look up a guy here called daddog. Just stepped down as CM lead. Awesome guy. He will answer anything you need.
:) THanks dracon. Made my day. I am happy to help out "any" new player.
jwg11@mlode.com

Stickman You have lots of answers and help here in this thread but I will gladly help if you need. I will even fly target for you. :) I am really good at that, just ask the CT folks.

Cooley! Man we are just about neighbors! Just look east and you will see the hill I live on. :) Twain Harte, east of Sonora. :D
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline tkor

• Copper Member
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2003, 03:04:12 PM »
Hmmmmmmmm, I've seen many requests for key commands, and I rarely answer them because I have mapped most of them to my throttle and stick buttons, and I don't even remember what the key commands are.

If I know the answer, I have no reluctance to respond.

As far as the recent preponderance of "Alt F4" type responses, this seems concurrent with overwhelming number of new players we've seen in the last month or so. I think that for most of the players who have been around awhile, that "joke" has gotten pretty old and stale.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2003, 04:12:13 PM »
One thing that puzzles me yet is consistant over many of the online games reviews, is this 'nobody answered my key questions'.

Now round Christmas I got the 'Welcome Back Soldier' email from WW2OL. So I decided to use it as an AH 'holiday' and give WW2OL another try and see how it went. I downloaded maps, vehicle specs, printed out the keymappings, spent one night setting up my joystick for aircraft and vehicles. Once I thought I had a comfortable setup I jumped online.

The only questions I ever had were related specifically to weapons ability and stuff like that (where to hit a Maltida) and so on. Even then I found plenty of websites with printable diagrams to make life online easier.

I believe AH is the same. Theres plenty of stuff out there.

I've seen this in many AH and WW2OL player reviews. It puzzles me that people just don't prepare properly. It would help their enjoyment of the game tenfold.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2003, 04:26:44 PM »
Stickman,

If you need some help or would like to wing with anyone give me a shout. We have a few old WB guys as well as some AW guys and a few newby's in our squadron and are always looking for new blood. If you need a "trainer" make sure you click on the yes when you first log into the game and someone will pick you up. I generally make it a habit to check through the players listing for the ones asking for help and I will contact one I see asking questions over the different radio channels. That seems to work a bit better even when the text buffer flies by as rapidly as it does with 500+ people in one arena.

Good Luck with you search for help and give me a shout if you need some. Hell I always need a good wingman and if you are that good come fly my wing and cover my stupid flying tricks. :D
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Doberman

• Copper Member
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2003, 05:29:31 PM »
Originally posted by Vulcan

I've seen this in many AH and WW2OL player reviews. It puzzles me that people just don't prepare properly. It would help their enjoyment of the game tenfold.

I feel the same.  I've got no compulsion to answer "how do you start the engine" questions and absolutely no bad feeling about blasting anyone who's too lazy/cool/ignorant/whatever to RTFM.

The original poster claims that it's unrealistic to expect someone to memorize the entire keymapping.  Yet, he expects to get the assistance of someone who HAS taken the time to do so.  Why?  Why NOT print the thing out and keep it accessible?  I've got mine right here, and I've been flying online games with similar keymaps since the early 90's.  

You guys see the "Offline" button when the game boots up?  Why not learn to get your plane off the ground there, free of vulchers and other distractions?  Learn how to make the engine start, the gear go up & down, the flaps to extend, the views to switch, etc there.  Follow the instructions in the Help file and test your VOX offline.  Read the manual and learn how to get to another base, set your convergance, change country, join missions, etc BEFORE you get into the midst of 699 other players, all of whom have their own agenda.  Most of which don't include teaching you stuff that you could have taught yourself.

Sorry guys, I pay for my online time and nowhere in the game description does it say I need to spend any of that time answering questions that can easily be found in the AH Help file.

One of the many signs of our degenerating society is the feeling of entitlement that many folks have.  Like it's someone else's job to bring them up to speed.  

You guys want me to fly the plane and get the kills for you too?

If someone DOES answer your questions online, you should feel grateful.  But in NO WAY should anyone be upset when their questions aren't answered.  It's not our job.

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2003, 07:04:47 PM »
Stick, read the help files. Do your part.

THEN, remap everything identical to the way you have WB mapped.

All my keys with the exception of a few are identical. And old shoe..

My buttons on my flight setup ARE identical.

Change your voice activation button to the space bar. Then you don't have to look for it, ( it's the long one at the bottom of the key board :D ) Go online in an arena, tune vox to yourself and test it to get your volumes correct.

And try not to be wound too tight, relax, have fun.

The only question I remember asking online was if it was fair to call time out if you were grabbing a beer...

I might add that everyone said yes..

Hook up with some WB guys and fly..

Put a few weeks in and have fun..

I don't see a shortage of help here, you'll get your questions answered.

Online with alot of people it's hard. Post here or in the help forum.

Or grab a hold of Ghosth, besides being a hell of a nice guy, he knows this game inside and out.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2003, 07:23:39 PM by nopoop »
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2003, 10:15:47 PM »
Think most will admit I answer more questions in 2 hrs than most players do in a week...

Lately though with the influx of newbs due to the promotion I can't keep up, my replies are getting shorter, and sometimes ruder! +)  and I think the veteran community as a whole maybe feeling abit the same way..  

I won't even touch questions which obviously prove the newb just downloaded and clicked play....

I wish more of them would READ!!

Nothing against you Stick, I haven't been in the CT I typically spend all my time in the MA.

After Mar 15th i'll be able to relax more +)

SKurj

Offline Skorpyon

• Copper Member
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2003, 12:11:23 AM »
STICKMAN:  If you don't have the entire keymap memorized, do what I do when I forget a seldom used key.... open "setup" and scroll through the key commands until you find the one you are looking for, which requires NO effort on the part of someone else, only your effort... again, help yourself a bit, and you will most likely be helped when you really need it.  Oh, and don't get me wrong, I answer questions when it is convenient, and I feel the "asker" isn't being lazy and disregarding my desire to play uninterrupted.

BigUC:  The "join" command I was referencing was not to join as a gunner in a bomber, but to join as an observer on a pilot's sortie in any type of craft.  A big obnoxious window pops up asking for your permission to let the offender observe.

FLOSSY:  Thanks!!!  I appreciate the tip on removing the aforementioned obnoxious join window.  Hmmm.. maybe I should have just gone on open channel and asked someone for instructions!  :D

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2003, 08:09:48 AM »
There is no point in answering WB players questions since they lack the skills needed to ever do well in AH anyway... It is a waste of time.
lazs