Author Topic: Aces High trial: Short version  (Read 2803 times)

Offline Stickman

• Zinc Member
Aces High trial: Short version
« on: February 25, 2003, 11:37:25 PM »
Only had a chance to fly half a dozen or so (mostly unsuccessful) sorties, but my main take is that it's a decent enough sim. The aircraft aren't rendered that nicely, but the terrain makes up for it I suppose (very nice looking terrain, ask is NASTY, and base layouts are excellant). Gunnery does seem significantly easier than in Warbirds (was tossing out hope shots trying to get someone to break off a guy's six and was astounded to see my rounds start connecting), but that's no deal-breaker to me. As bad as my shooting is I can use all the help I can get:).

The big problems I have are getting people to answer questions, and finding someone willing to respond to a request to join them on a sortie. I've asked the latter probably a dozen times, no response at all. People will answer a general question, sometimes, if the arena is slow or if you ask it often enough, but even after no more flying than I've done I've about been broken of asking simple questions about interface keys, etc. and of asking to wing with someone. To me, this is severe negligence on the part of the guys who've been around awhile. I hate to compare Warbirds to AH, but in this area I have to; when someone asks a question in Warbirds, there are ususally 3 to 12 people responding with answers, and if they ask to wing with someone usually the same results. I really figured that people are pretty much the same all over and that I'd have no trouble getting a hand up in AH, but I have to admit being wrong here, though I'm not sure why. So, next time I get ready for another AH sortie and start the game up, when I see the box that asks "Would you like a trainer to help you get started?", I'll be answering in the affirmative this time. I gotta tell you guys, you're missing the boat; few things are as fun as helping someone get started and seeing them begin to have fun and decide to stick around.

Will I be keeping a subscription to AH? Dunno.....I'd kind of like to, as cheap and interesting as it is, but this is a big mark in the "CON" column, my friends.

I'll post on this thread again after a few more sorties and say more when I know it.

Offline dracon

• Nickel Member
      • http://myweb.cableone.net/decon14/
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2003, 11:52:05 PM »
Hmmm.......Haven't had that problem?  I have been here for a month.  2 week trial is all it took and I closed my WBs account.  In that month I have asked numerous questions and got answers the same as if I was still in WBs.  Ahhh well mileage varies.  You might just try switching countries.  I started out knights and switched to Rooks.  Seemed good in both of those.  I haven't flown Bishops so I can't say.  Also, I flew quite a bit in the CT Arena.  Those guys will hand your hat to you in a heart beat.  Your heads usually in it though.  CT guys are very helpful.  Me well I'm here to stay.  I love it.  New maps all the time.  Tons of stuff to do and so many to do it with.  Try joing a mission!  I flew my first with the MAW.  Excellent expierence.  Look up a guy here called daddog.  Just stepped down as CM lead.  Awesome guy.  He will answer anything you need.

Hey, I hope things straighten out here and you stay.  You can bet if I'm on I'll answer what I can.  I have been reading a lot :)  I met many old WB buds here.  One of them, Bizket from the WBs 352nd, just started a squad the 339th.  I joined him.  Wanna fly with us?  You would be welcome anytime: http://www.geocities.com/p51_339thfg/menu.html
or click on my profile and "E" me.  No you wouldn't have to join, just come have some fun!
Good Luck,
« Last Edit: February 25, 2003, 11:57:04 PM by dracon »

Offline Skorpyon

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2003, 01:49:56 AM »
My two cents, and only based on AH as I joined here during beta and haven't flown any other mmol sim...  Asking questions in the MA would seem to be the easiest way to learn, and if pilots aren't currently busy, I am sure help is usually forthcoming, at least in my own experience.  But anyone who gets "snubbed" must remember something; that person is logging in to a "game in progress" and asking openly of everyone that they stop playing and help a "noob" get started.  I would say that, unfortunately, much of the time the aforementioned "noob" hasn't bothered to spend any time learning offline, hasn't read any of the fairly detailed documentation available, or helped himself in any significant way.  When I first joined AH, many of the current resources weren't available, so I fired it up offline, experimented a bit, figured out half an idea about what I was doing, and then logged in, and this was with NO prior flight sim experience.  I asked questions, but at this point they weren't the all too frequent, "How do I take off?", etc. questions that are particularly nerve-wracking.  I would say that the rudeness lies more with those willing to interrupt the gameplay of others than spend a little time "helping themselves."  Unfortunately again, this happens so often that some folks act as if ANY question is a stupid one, and so the rudeness perpetuates itself.  
     As far as the "request to join" complaint, I assume you are referring to asking to join a pilot's sortie as an observer.  If this is the case, I can assure you that nothing ticks me off more than closing on a con's 6 and, just as I reach for the trigger, a large text box blocks my view entirely with someone's totally uninvited request to hop in my lap for a quick look-see.  As far as I am concerned this feature should either be removed, or the message should appear in the normal text buffer or some other non-fatal area of the screen.  
   We as a community should (and usually do as far as I am concerned) help out the new pilots among us, but the courtesy should go both ways.  BTW, for anyone who needs help figuring out pretty much ANYTHING in AH, I highly recommend FT_Animal's    AH Tech Hangar  .  I have only looked over a small part of his very extensive site, and it should answer most questions and even teach tactics and ACM fairly well.  I close with apologies for such a long reply.  :)

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2003, 01:53:45 AM »
Give some examples of your questions.
I wonder if the reality of your old game for a newby in an arena of 700 people..would match your memory of it.
I myself have probably answered 2000 questions online since 1999 in this game. Amazingly unrewarding pastime answering questions. But people answer them for me too.. Typically a question that can be answered quickly or isnt too lame will have a barage of answers. Dumb ones can go un answered for ever..
Maybe you came off as arrogant? You do here..and people dont like to waste their time with arrogant question askers.

Offline Cooley

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2003, 01:56:12 AM »
Hiya Stick,,Most all of our 24 man squad are ex or current members of Warbirds

Please look us up,,,   367th FG  "Dynamite Gang"
we fly for Knights, Be glad to assist

While my home gets a new foundation and some roof work done,
this is a dam fine hotel  ;)

my handle is "cooley"

Peace < S >
« Last Edit: February 26, 2003, 02:05:40 AM by Cooley »
Cooleyof 367th

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2003, 02:03:04 AM »
I'll answer questions based on a few factors:

A) How much effort is required to answer the question

B) How much effort is the asker demonstrating

C) How is the asker behaving

If it is a simple question, e.g. how do I start my engine I'll answer pretty much regardless of the other factors.

If the asker isn't demonstrating that they are putting any effort into learning the game, then I can't really be bothered to try to teach it to them.

If the asker is abusive, rude or incoherant I will not help them.  If they don't speak english I will attempt to locate someone who does speak their language to help them.

The last time I tried helping a new player I spent three frusterating hours in the TA slowly getting the person better equipped to play.  I have no idea how successful or unsuccessful I was.

One point I have noticed is that when I answer a question my response is nearly always simply one of manyy responses.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline bizket

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2003, 02:53:05 AM »
Stickman try this. Switch to rooks metion your from Warbirds and you will have guys tripping over each other to help you. I've never really flown for bish, but I spent a lot of time as a knight and a few weeks now flying for rooks. I might be wrong but the largest percentage of old WBs flyers seem to be there. I just recongnize more names on the rook side.

Look for Dracon, asmech or myself will be happy to wing up with you. Also a squad called " the flying zoo" has a lot of the "old guard" from warbirds.

Offline Blank

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2003, 03:05:28 AM »
stickman, normally people are pretty helpful but these are not normal times, as HTC has given out all these free trials till march 15th I think?

this means that the MA has been swamped with noobs, and the questions seem to be unending.

about the only answer I have been seeing com up regularly is the old " hit ALT + F4" (quit game) answer put to everything.

there are alot of people willing to help, try asking in on country channel (green) as your more likely to get help from teammates.

Also something I used to do alot is if i needed to find out a key i would open the clipboard (ESC) and look at key mapping to find the key and function)

:)

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2003, 03:10:47 AM »
I do answer questions if I see them. Although, if it's a "what key..." question, I point them to the key Mapper generally. I think knowing where that is would help any new player to get to grips with the game.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2003, 03:35:11 AM »
Originally posted by Skorpyon
As far as I am concerned this feature should either be removed, or the message should appear in the normal text buffer or some other non-fatal area of the screen.
Skorpyon, you can make join requests appear in the text buffer by typing .showjoin, which toggles join requests between the box and the text buffer.  Not sure, but that might need a 0 or 1 after it to turn it on or off, but the Help files don't mention that.  :)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2003, 04:14:12 AM »
Alot depends on attitude, I've seen plenty of WB'ers arrive with an open mind to AH and give it a try and got help by just fitting in  where as some seem to turn up, grit their teeth and grumble only to return to their previous sim to tell everyone how unfriendly the AH skies are when there is really not much to pick between them at all.

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com/
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2003, 06:35:42 AM »
Howdy Stickman. I don't fly a great deal lately but if you see me up ask away. I know my former squadies of the Flying Circus on the Bish will help you. Look for guys like Anton,Rob53, Vati66,Shamus,Pipz,Hajo etc.

Anyway and good luck.
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline wipass

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.secestimating.com
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2003, 06:56:26 AM »
hey stickman

Good to see you here, I'm usually on around midday EST (5.00 pm uk) and fly for the much malinged and numerically challenged rooks.

If you want to hook up or need anything just shout.

I have been here for about 7 months  (?), the learning curve in terms of FM was around 3 weeks, I agree about the gunnery, yes it is a lot easier, but it's the same for everyone so that's not a problem in the arenas, and I also agree about the amount of help available to noobs. However, in WB's a lot of the guys were veterans and maybe a bit more mature (not knocking AH) and more  eager to help, In AH  there are probably the same amount of guys that will help, but you have to sort those out from the "alt F4 answer type of guys.

All in all I have been impressed here (not that that is much of a recommendation) and am enjoying the game. There are  a few things I don't like, but heck who am I to complain.

101 Squadron have a fair amount of ex WB's players including =viff=

Stick around, it gets better.

wipass

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2003, 07:15:08 AM »
Welcome, stickman!

I'd also add that you should try the CT.  The crowd there is closer to what I remember the old Warbirds gang was like as far as being helpful and friendly.   Maybe it's the smaller population, dunno...

Offline blkmgc

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2003, 07:45:37 AM »
Hiya stick.

Most of the people I've talked to here are pretty cool. Maybe you just hit a time when most evreyone was busy. I dont ask a lot of questions ingame, seems that there are a whole lot of newbies with the free trial thing.Hehe..I had a bunch of questions answered the other night watching someone else get answers.Still having trouble with the 4 engine bombers, but I'll give it a little time to get sorted to give this an honest go.If ya see me, give a yell. I'll wing with ya mate.

Drac !

blkmgc

BTW- alt -f4..what a stupid thing to tell a newbie.
Debdenboys.comAdministrator