Author Topic: Aces High trial: Short version  (Read 2805 times)

Offline wipass

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.secestimating.com
Aces High trial: Short version
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2003, 08:25:07 AM »
gonna need more bait than  that lazs2

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2003, 08:31:08 AM »
Originally posted by Skorpyon
FLOSSY:  Thanks!!!  I appreciate the tip on removing the aforementioned obnoxious join window.  Hmmm.. maybe I should have just gone on open channel and asked someone for instructions!  :D
LOL Skorpyon!  :D  Just wish I would remember to use it myself!  Last night, I joined a Lanc mission, which turned out to be quite a long one across a few sectors and around a couple of hills.  It was getting late for me, and I knew I would have to log after I finished it.  

I reached the target and, for once, actually managed to hit something!  2 "structures", and ammo bunker and 2 BHs.  Feeling very pleased with myself at finally achieving this success after months of failures, I turned to RTB and made my way back to our take-off field.  

By now, I was feeling pretty tired, but was determined to land my one remaining Lanc safely - I'd lost the others during a brief attack at the enemy field - and was nicely lined up for the runway.  

I was almost down, about 200 feet off landing, when a box popped up from some idiot wanting to join me!  I quickly clicked Decline and managed to land my plane intact and brought it to a halt.  Needless to say, I then had a few choice words for the person who had tried to join me, suggesting he asks permission first in future!  Never received any apology either.
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Stickman

• Zinc Member
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2003, 09:19:10 AM »
I realize now I was wrong and you gentlemen are absolutely correct.

Ciao.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2003, 10:06:33 AM »
LOL
the beginings of wisdom..

Offline Skorpyon

• Copper Member
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2003, 05:58:31 PM »
FLOSSY:  Yup, exactly the kind of situation I was talking about.  A big LOL and congrats for nailing the landing despite the "intrusion." :D

STICKMAN:  I'm hoping you didn't take some of the responses too harshly, or that your "ciao" wasn't an exit from AH.  My opinion is that obviously you have a sense of concern for having a "community", and not just a group of freelancers flying around.  This is admirable, and I for one hope you will stick around a while, just understanding that the successful "community" is the one where considerations are expected and given on all sides.  Hope to see ya up in the skies, as long as it isn't on my 6!  ;)

And finally, an ironic exchange I witnessed last night, ....

"Where are the bad guys?"
"How do I join a squad?"
"How do I find the bad guys?"
"Where are the bad guys?"
"Somebody please help me find the bad guys."
"How do I pull up the map?"
"Where is the mission?"

All questions asked by the same guy within the span of a few minutes, despite the effort by some (including me) to give him a couple of quick pointers so he would quit pestering.  These are the guys who try the patience of those of us who otherwise don't mind helping out once in a while.   :)

Offline Cobra

• Nickel Member
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2003, 07:58:02 PM »

Cobra
« Last Edit: February 27, 2003, 08:00:44 PM by Cobra »

Offline Flossy

• Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2003, 04:32:21 AM »
Originally posted by Stickman
I realize now I was wrong and you gentlemen are absolutely correct.

Ciao.
Is that it?   :confused:
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2003, 08:05:10 AM »
WB guys are a touchy lot these days.  I think he needed an excuse to stay in whats left of WB.   Now he can go back and say that we were mean to him.
lazs

Offline Horn

• Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2003, 09:04:01 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
WB guys are a touchy lot these days.  I think he needed an excuse to stay in whats left of WB.   Now he can go back and say that we were mean to him.
lazs

Man you nailed that.

dh

Offline dracon

• Nickel Member
      • http://myweb.cableone.net/decon14/
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2003, 09:04:09 AM »
Hehehe!  Yeah if you guys didn't read it, that was an OK! Whatever!  I'm back at WarBirds post.  Oh well, we tried.
Dracon

Offline Flossy

• Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2003, 10:14:36 AM »
Originally posted by Oedipus
If you'd ever had the chance to read Stickmans' comments re:AH on the WWIIO boards or AGW you'd know he came to the trial with no intention of giving it a fair shake.  At least his "Ciao" was polite - which is a bit out of character for him.
Oh I see.... not looked at the WW2OL boards for a while.  I did expect a bit more than that, though, after all the positive replies he received in this thread.  Two little words come to mind.
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2003, 10:47:00 AM »
I hope you'll stick around a while longer Dracon but after reading Stickman's opinion of AH and the community here I don't think he had any intention of giving it a fair trial.

I've seen other pilots come here almost with gritted teeth determiend not to enjoy it and they go back to where they came from. You see the same 'I gave it a good try' BS over and over but those players forget their stats tell a different story ;)

Shame really we're all just sim pilots

Offline Stickman

• Zinc Member
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2003, 10:54:29 AM »
After reading this thread again this morning, I'd like to clear up a couple of misconceptions.

First, that I had no intention of giving Aces High a "fair shake".
Wrong. To be perfectly honest, even from what little I've seen, I think I could grow to enjoy the current incarnation of AH even more than I do Warbirds, after I've managed to get accustomed to the flight models. The strategy is there, the base layouts are excellant, flak actually does what it's supposed to do, terrain is very nice to look at.....all in all, it's a great package. Easily the superior to the current Warbirds build in most respects. The only thing I find lacking in the game iteslf is the aircraft art/resolution, and the easier gunnery, and as I said at the beginning of this thread, that's no deal breaker for me.

Secondly, that I intended to close my Warbirds account and fly AH exclusively: Again, WRONG. I have no intention of closing my WB account, but that doesn't at all mean I wouldn't keep an AH account as well. I have alot of free time in the evenings, and if my squad isn't online in force, or if the RPS in Warbirds is pre-Lightning, I could definitely imagine myself spending a great deal of time in AH and enjoying it. I kept a WWII Online account for over a year (though admittedly I didn't fly it for the last 8 months or so) in addition to my WB account, no reason not to keep active accounts to two sims if you enjoy them both.

Also, there seems to be some misunderstanding about the point of this thread. Initially, it was intended simply to state what I was impressed with about the game, and to let the community itself know that failing to help out a new guy in the game (within reason) could turn people off right away.

Wellnow, it's turned into a bashing session for people to feel like I've insulted them personally, or that I was being unfair when I stated that it seemed a bit difficult to get other players to answer a question or two. No problem, if you guys want to bash, feel free. I'm too old and too busy to worry about the goings on in this thread, especially considering I've been nothing but polite in my responses. But you might consider this: I was honest in my intention to try out AH, and and just as sincere in my intent to subscribe to the sim after the trial period is over. I'm not 100% sure I don't still want to try it some more (more like 98%, thanks to all the genteel remarks here), but with some of the openly hostile remarks I see from some people in the community, I'm beginning to wonder if there's any point at all. The game, for me, is only about 25% of the experience. The rest of the fun I have is teaming up with other guys and having fun, and it's hard to imagine myself having a good time with some of the people who've responded here. I'm sure there are plenty of great guys flying AH (I know many of them from Warbirds, in fact), but there seems to be also a great number of people who, secure in the anonymity of the internet, prefer open hostility to geniality in their relations with other players.

Anyway, my entire point of this post (which has now become lost in my wordy response) was basically to tell you guys who think I came here just to screw around and annoy a few people on the board....you're wrong.

[EDIT]
Just wanted to add something here:
Why do you suppose that, after being offered another trial period several months ago, I decided to wait awhile? The reason (strange as it may seem) is because I wanted to wait until I was sure the game was pretty much finalized (and with another version due out this fall it must be), and until I'd have plenty of time to give it the time it'd need for a really square evaluation. Do you honestly believe I'd have recommended trying it to my 25 Warbirds squaddies if this weren't the case?

So, here's how things came out in my somewhat abbreviated trial:
Game=Outstanding
Community=Somewhat lacking

So, don't blame my failure to return to AH for the remainder of the free trial (if I don't, and even with all the assenine remarks directed at me here I still might) on my opinion of the game itself. There's nothing wrong with AH, at least as far as I could tell.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2003, 11:08:16 AM by Stickman »

Offline blkmgc

• Silver Member
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2003, 11:28:31 AM »
Ya know what, I'm giving this sim an honest go of it.Not on a freebie mind you, I've had a paid account here for some time.;) Albeit there is not the same participation of bomber squadrons here as there is there..no biggie. The gameplay is ok, Most of the people I have met are pretty decent. I've asked questions about different things (coincedently a readme doesnt tell all;) ) and have gotten different reactions. On the most part, people are generally willing to help out. Ocassionally you get the RTFM reply.

To the ones that help... You are a credit to this community and I am very happy to have had the opportunity to meet and talk with you and am very gratefull of the help you offered freely . And I believe (from what I've seen) you make up the bigger part of the playerbase here. :)

To the ones with the RTFM replies. I perfectly respect that you are in the middle of gameplay and that you really dont have the opportunity ATM to help out.Seriously...perfectly understandable. NP here with that.

To the few who not only give the RTFM reply, but also take the time to click on the link to here, post paragraph after paragraph elaborating on "RTFM" (probably the same ammount of typing as 200 or so ingame answers)...must suck to be you.

feel free to pick this post apart and not focus on it as a whole ...if you choose.But its intention is as a whole.

blkmgc
Debdenboys.comAdministrator

Offline Flossy

• Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2003, 12:04:52 PM »
Originally posted by Stickman
Wellnow, it's turned into a bashing session for people to feel like I've insulted them personally, or that I was being unfair when I stated that it seemed a bit difficult to get other players to answer a question or two.
Thanks for responding again, Stickman..... however, looking through this thread, I see lots of very helpful posts..... one or two "bashers" maybe, but the majority of us have genuinely tried to help you.  I'm sorry if you see this differently, but can assure you that I for one was only trying to help you understand the radio better.... and others have tried to help with other aspects.  I do hope you are not tarring us all with the same brush....  :)  There really is a great community here, which I am sure you will discover for yourself if you do decide to stay - nothing wrong with playing both WB and AH; I did the same with Air Warrior and AH before making my final, albeit enforced, move.

I sincerely hope you do continue to try Aces High and keep on playing once the free period has ended.  If you ever see me in any of the arenas, please feel free to ask for any help you need directly.
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun