Author Topic: Top 5 War Films  (Read 2697 times)

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Top 5 War Films
« Reply #90 on: April 08, 2003, 12:28:28 PM »
#1 Band of brothers, AMAZING, the only thing I don't like is I can't get some of my dip**** friends to watch it "cause it is to long"  Man I felt it when Goneria and his buddies got it.... and Spears, that guy was the man.

#2 Black hawk down, but there was not enougn and after reading the book it needed to be longer.

#3 SPR, the first movie I saw that came close to making me understand what war was about. I made every one I know go see it, so I saw it 7 time in the theature. The first 30 minutes should be shown in schools, to let the kids know what there grandparents did for the world.

#4 Patton, man what a movie. One of only two movies filmed in vistavision or something, using 3 cams at once for super wide screen, only one other movie filmed this way. Great acting. Scott was the man.  Monty was such a puss in this one... lol

5# 85 charlie mopic.   Very good, very hard to find, but worth it. Shot all from the camera mans point of view...  Good stuff.

Other good ones.

Hamburger hill, good but not as good as the book.

Full metal jacket.  "How do you kill women and chicldren!?" "Easy! you just don't lead them as much!"

Tora tora tora, great for it's time.

The longest day! What a casts!

Uncommon valor, kinda corny but fun.

Flight of the intruder, the part where defoe is down and wounded and he calls in the Sandy (A1 skyraider) "drop it on me! DO it for me! I would do it for you"

The worst?

Platoon, not cause it was horible, but because oliver stone lied and said it was his story, and when he was called on it, finaly told the truth,  and said basicaly none of it happend to him, but had happend. SO he took just about all the bad **** he heard of and packed it into a two hour film. The movie was OK but the directer being a jerk soiled it for me.

Apocolipse now. CRAP.. UTER BORING CRAP! and copala said, "this is the way nam was!" He claimed this was the war, and that is bull****.

When trumpets fade.... man I just hated the main char.

Pearl harbor, but it was worth it to see a REAL zero fly, and yes it was a real one.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Top 5 War Films
« Reply #91 on: April 08, 2003, 12:43:10 PM »
Being a realism nazi tends to wreck many movies. I try to look past that stuff.

Memphis Belle for example. I thought it was pretty well done. Obviously all those things didn't happen on the last mission of the Belle, or even to the Belle. But all those things happened during the war to someone.

I love the "Danny Boy" ending.

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
Top 5 War Films
« Reply #92 on: April 08, 2003, 12:50:55 PM »
Originally posted by midnight Target
"Behind Enemy Lines"

MiniD

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Top 5 War Films
« Reply #93 on: April 08, 2003, 01:05:23 PM »
MiniD is right, Deep blue world was very good. I like it allot. But you gota watch it, lol don't try and watch it and do something else. You will get lost in the flash backs.... hehe

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Top 5 War Films
« Reply #94 on: April 08, 2003, 02:11:28 PM »
Dark Blue World is what Pearl Harbor should have been.

Excellent movie.

Offline 10Bears

• Silver Member
Top 5 War Films
« Reply #95 on: April 08, 2003, 04:16:44 PM »
Platoon, not cause it was horible, but because oliver stone lied and said it was his story, and when he was called on it, finaly told the truth, and said basicaly none of it happend to him, but had happend. SO he took just about all the bad **** he heard of and packed it into a two hour film. The movie was OK but the directer being a jerk soiled it for me.

For Stone to admit this would mean for him to admit fragging an officer...

Rednecks on one side of the camp, soul brothers and heads on the other, that was for real. Waking up in the middle of the night covered with incect bits was real. Having the point man found dead, and the village up ahead don't know anything about any VC in the area... They just got ammo and weapons hidden under sacks of rice.. That was real.

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Top 5 War Films
« Reply #96 on: April 08, 2003, 04:22:05 PM »
You a vet 10bears?

He claimed that everything in the film happend to him while he was there, then later when he was called on it, said it all happend but not to him or just one unit.

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
Top 5 War Films
« Reply #97 on: April 08, 2003, 04:23:34 PM »
What exactly did you all dislike about "We Were Soldiers"?

At the end, it departs from the true story pretty drastically.
I can deal with a fictional movie, but not when they do everything they can to convince you it is not fiction:  using the title of the non-fiction book, using the dates and place names of the real battle, using the names of real participant units and personnel, etc.

There was no reason for the filmmakers to lie like that.  The true story would have been sufficient.  If they had just told the truth, it would have been obvious to even the dullest viewer that Moore and Crandall's men covered themselves in glory.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2003, 04:35:18 PM by funkedup »

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Top 5 War Films
« Reply #98 on: April 08, 2003, 04:25:51 PM »
In Platoon, the part where Dafoe's character appears running after being left behind, is IMO one of the greatest scenes in movie history.

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
Top 5 War Films
« Reply #99 on: April 08, 2003, 04:27:36 PM »
Originally posted by Saurdaukar
You enjoyed Dark Blue World?  I keep wanting to rent it, but Im afraid Ill be disgusted by inaccuracies, RC aircraft, and some form of a love story.

The love story is annoying, but look it at this way:  You get to see boobies.

There are very few inaccuracies in the film.  It's fictional, but almost all of the things that happen were things that actually happened to Czech or Polish pilots.

I didn't notice RC aircraft.  Plenty of real live Spit shots in the movie.  There is some CG stuff for enemy aircraft and damage and fire effects though.

Offline Hobodog

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.military.com
Top 5 War Films
« Reply #100 on: April 08, 2003, 04:38:16 PM »
Das Boobs   :D

Saw it the other night on FX!

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Animal
« Reply #101 on: April 08, 2003, 04:47:31 PM »
Yeah that part was good, the movie over all was ok, I didnt like the good V evil in the platoon theme, but it was a well done movie.

Dafoe is the man.

I just can't stand the director being dishonest.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Top 5 War Films
« Reply #102 on: April 08, 2003, 05:12:12 PM »
Originally posted by Hobodog
Das Boobs   :D

Saw it the other night on FX!

If you saw it on FX, you have seen about 1/3 of the movie. it runs about 4  hours uncut.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Re: Animal
« Reply #103 on: April 08, 2003, 06:03:14 PM »
Originally posted by GtoRA2
Yeah that part was good, the movie over all was ok, I didnt like the good V evil in the platoon theme, but it was a well done movie.

Dafoe is the man.

I just can't stand the director being dishonest.

I dont really care about how the cast is off camera, as long as they do a good job in the movie itself.

Offline Rasker

• Silver Member
Top 5 War Films
« Reply #104 on: April 09, 2003, 03:34:07 AM »

Memphis Belle for example. I thought it was pretty well done. Obviously all those things didn't happen on the last mission of the Belle, or even to the Belle. But all those things happened during the war to someone.

I love the "Danny Boy" ending.

Back in Air Warrior, piloting a B-17 with a full crew back in on one engine, a-smokin and a-shakin, I'd be typing a few lyrics from "Danny Boy" into the intercom buffer and everyone knew exactly what I meant. :)