Author Topic: Top 5 War Films  (Read 2698 times)

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
Top 5 War Films
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2003, 04:21:11 AM »
Enemy at the Gates was pretty good. So was Das Boot. And Saving Private Ryan. And the memphis Belle. And the Big Red One. Am I up to 5? darn.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
Top 5 War Films
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2003, 04:43:02 AM »
no particular order but a list of good films i love :)

Longest day
saving private ryan
kelly's heroes
Enemy at the gates
windtalkers
bridge too far
desert rats
Das Boot
Desert Fox
Battleground
Dunkirk
In which we serve
Band of brothers wasnt bad either

Offline mjolnir

• Nickel Member
Top 5 War Films
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2003, 05:02:22 AM »
I can't believe that people are honestly posting that they thought Enemy at the Gates was a good movie, much less one of the top 5 war movies of all time.  I'm sorry, but they spent the whole movie making Ed Harris out to be this almost clairvoyant badass sniper who always knew where his mark would be and never ever missed, and then he walks out into the open without making sure the other sniper is dead?  That's the kind of idiot mistake that gets people dead long before they get to be badass snipers like he was supposed to be.  Totally ruined the movie.

And just to throw my votes in, I'm not sure if Schindler's List qualifies or not, since it's not necessarily a war movie, but it is a damn good movie about a war.  Other than that, Glory, Full Metal Jacket, Blackhawk Down, 12 O' Clock High

Offline MrBill

• Nickel Member
Top 5 War Films
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2003, 09:23:32 AM »
"In Harms Way"
"Hell is for Heros"
"84 Charlie Mopic"
"The Bridges at Toko Ri"
"Paths of Glory"
We do not stop playing because we grow old
We grow old because we stop playing

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
Top 5 War Films
« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2003, 09:25:21 AM »
Originally posted by -tronski-
That could almost be the top 5 worst films...cept 1941

Tronsky

That was the idea

Offline Frogm4n

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Top 5 War Films
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2003, 01:00:49 AM »
Pearl Harbor should be the real #1, after all it did have the following

- Ben Affleck saves British troops from Robo-Skorzeny at Dunkirk
- Ben Affleck single-handedly wins the Battle of Britain in a biplane
- Ben Affleck sinks the Bismarck
- Ben Affleck survives being shot down by the V-1000, Hitler's shape-shifting missile weapon filled with horrifying Nazi mutants
- Ben Affleck destroys the entire Japanese air force at Pearl Harbor, saving everybody and all the ships except for that one retarded guy's girlfriend
- Ben Affleck, en route to the Doolittle raid wins the battles of Midway and Coral Sea
- Ben Affleck defeats Japan's secret Ninja Zero Squadron over Tokyo and blows up Hirohito
- Ben Affleck, after crash landing his plane in such a way that prevents the rape of Nanking several years prior goes on to kill every Japanese occupying soldier in China but can't save Josh Hartnett
- Ben Affleck triumphantly returns to the US, invents the atom bomb, and throws it, one-handed, to Hiroshima

Offline -tronski-

• Gold Member
Top 5 War Films
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2003, 02:19:48 AM »
Originally posted by Frogm4n
Pearl Harbor should be the real #1, after all it did have the following

- Ben Affleck saves British troops from Robo-Skorzeny at Dunkirk
- Ben Affleck single-handedly wins the Battle of Britain in a biplane
- Ben Affleck sinks the Bismarck
- Ben Affleck survives being shot down by the V-1000, Hitler's shape-shifting missile weapon filled with horrifying Nazi mutants
- Ben Affleck destroys the entire Japanese air force at Pearl Harbor, saving everybody and all the ships except for that one retarded guy's girlfriend
- Ben Affleck, en route to the Doolittle raid wins the battles of Midway and Coral Sea
- Ben Affleck defeats Japan's secret Ninja Zero Squadron over Tokyo and blows up Hirohito
- Ben Affleck, after crash landing his plane in such a way that prevents the rape of Nanking several years prior goes on to kill every Japanese occupying soldier in China but can't save Josh Hartnett
- Ben Affleck triumphantly returns to the US, invents the atom bomb, and throws it, one-handed, to Hiroshima

That must have been in the special edition, all I saw was Ben Affleck in the amazing slow super stunt P-40's, the just before I go on Doolitlle raid I must save the earth from an asteroid in my B-25, and rubber coated Spitfires bits.

The Hiroshima one is completely false...he threw it at Nagasaki, and only cause it had a seven second fuse.

Tronsky
God created Arrakis to train the faithful

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Top 5 War Films
« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2003, 02:34:46 AM »
Originally posted by NUKE
Apocalypse now is WAY overrated. What a boring piece of garbage. I walked out of the theater after being bored to tears for the first 3 hours.

that is one of the greatest movies ever made, it showed the true horrors of war instead of glorifying it as a honorable endevour that you get teary eyed and proud to watch like Hitler youths hearing patriotic awe inspiring stories (and then dying under the thread of a tank protecting Hitler's bunker).

War = pandemic madness.

Dont disguise it with emotional shots of a US flag streaking across the battelefield to the tunes of noble music.

Gosh I almost hurled during 'We Were Soldiers'
« Last Edit: April 08, 2003, 02:47:28 AM by Animal »

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
Top 5 War Films
« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2003, 02:51:22 AM »
Paths of Glory
Full Metal Jacket
Dr Strangelove
Hell In The Pacific
Ran

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
Top 5 War Films
« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2003, 02:56:14 AM »
Originally posted by Animal
that is one of the greatest movies ever made, it showed the true horrors of war instead of glorifying it as a honorable endevour that you get teary eyed and proud to watch like Hitler youths hearing patriotic awe inspiring stories (and then dying under the thread of a tank protecting Hitler's bunker).

Gotta disagree, Apocalypse Now is a turd as any kind of historical document or as some kind of anti-war lesson.  It's visually stimulating and has a nice soundtrack and some good acting.  But it didn't tell anything like truth.  There were so many BS unrealistic things in that movie I lost count.  The worst part is the utterly fake depection of how Aircav operated.  It was war as perceived by brainwashed hippy-dippy drug addicts who didn't know squat about how the military operated or what actually went on in Vietnam.  I can understand why most vets hate that movie.

We Were Soldiers sucked bellybutton even worse though.  Great book, awful film.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2003, 03:00:57 AM by funkedup »

Offline Rasker

• Silver Member
Top 5 War Films
« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2003, 02:57:34 AM »
how about "The Enemy Below", Kurt Jurgens, Robert Mitchum (1957?)

Oh yeah "Bridges at Toko-Ri" also

"Cast A Giant Shadow" Kirk Douglas Frank Sinatra
« Last Edit: April 08, 2003, 03:05:30 AM by Rasker »

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Top 5 War Films
« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2003, 03:02:40 AM »
Originally posted by funkedup
Gotta disagree, Apocalypse Now is a turd as any kind of historical document or as some kind of anti-war lesson.  It's visually stimulating and has a nice soundtrack and some good acting.  But it didn't tell anything like truth.  There were so many BS unrealistic things in that movie I lost count.  The worst part is the utterly fake depection of how Aircav operated.  I can understand why most vets hate that movie.

We Were Soldiers sucked bellybutton even worse though.  Great book, awful film.

You are right on the realism, but the message the film tries to portray, and how it delivers, is outstanding, IMO.

That movie really has an eerie aura of pure madness.

And as you said, the acting is good. The briefing scene, where the Captain is explained his mission, is superb, not to mention the begining of the film.

The aircav scene may not be accurate but it does a good job as a parody of men who simply LOVE war. IMO Duvall's character is a good example of what Patton was.

There are very, very few movies who seemed to tell it like it was (Band of Brothers saga is the only one I can recall, and some scenes from SPR) but then again, how can we know? Not even war veterans can tell you what war truly is, because it takes so many diferent forms. WWII is not Vietnam. WWII wasnt even the same kind war to someone in the pacific or eastern front. All we know is war IS hell, and movies like Apocalypse Now and Platoon do a good job in inmersing the viewer in that HELL atmosphere, wether its realistic or not.
/flame suit ON
« Last Edit: April 08, 2003, 03:07:39 AM by Animal »

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
Top 5 War Films
« Reply #72 on: April 08, 2003, 03:05:15 AM »
Yeah it's fun to watch, but I'm scared that joe average (who doesn't read history) might take it as fact.  Same goes for "We Were Soldiers".  Dinger and I walked out of that one.

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Top 5 War Films
« Reply #73 on: April 08, 2003, 03:10:27 AM »
Originally posted by funkedup
Yeah it's fun to watch, but I'm scared that joe average (who doesn't read history) might take it as fact.  Same goes for "We Were Soldiers".  Dinger and I walked out of that one.

At least we stand together in our hate towards that awful crap.

Saddest part is how many people didnt realize it was sad propaganda worse than Mel Gibson's 'The Patriot'

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
Top 5 War Films
« Reply #74 on: April 08, 2003, 03:13:45 AM »
Did you read the book?  Don't let the poopy movie turn you off.  It's a great book, one of the best 3 or 4 books on war that I have read.
And as crappy as the film was, it was a far more realistic portrayal than Apocalypse Now, at least from my reading of books by people who were over there.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2003, 03:16:30 AM by funkedup »