Author Topic: Why are some people here so aggressively hostile?  (Read 590 times)

Offline Badger

• Copper Member
      • Military Surplus Collectors Forums
Why are some people here so aggressively hostile?
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2001, 05:53:00 AM »
Originally posted by funkedup:
Karnak, the same reasons people are hostile in real life.  Depression, alcoholism, poor impulse control, and I daresay some sociopaths too.

The main thing is to keep focused on the topic of discussion, not on the merits of the people who are taking part in the discussion.  Some people can't help but make it personal, and that's when things break down.  Make sure you don't "go personal" and if other people do it, end the discussion.

Funkedup .... <S>

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2001, 06:13:00 AM »
Just get rid of showing kills, that would cure the problem.. just take a look at WWII OL, nobody can curse at each other since they don't know who killed them.
Theres no public cross country channel either though  ;)

Anyways, I could be serious of taking away printed kill credits... more historical  ;)

Offline lazs1

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2001, 08:22:00 AM »
Yep... I hate hostile people too and...

the reason LW guys are whiners is because they are slow witted bullies with tiny little members who's only knowledge of history comes from reading a couple of gushy "I flew for the master race" romance novels.

But... look at the good side.  It is lazs's axiom that.... LW guys are whiny and petulant when things are modeled correctly and arrogant and insuferable when they are modeled improperly so.... Whiny LW guys is a sign of a good sim modeled properly.
lazs

Offline Wingnut_0

• Copper Member
      • http://www.Luftjagerkorps.com
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2001, 08:32:00 AM »
Karnak,

Stop with this pansy ansy  "I didn't mean to paint" crap.  If your going to squeak about someone "whining" (over used 1st grade word), call their bloody names on it.  Those of us in the room yesterday know who ur talking about.  Why not just say his bloody name.

Btw...this post belongs in the O club not really General discussion material.

Offline K West

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2001, 08:52:00 AM »
I see more "passion of opinion" rather than any real hostility here. We're no different from people who enthusiastically and boisterously talk about thier favorite sport and it's players with others.

Westy

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
      • http://www.luftjagerkorps.com/
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2001, 08:55:00 AM »
um... well, I like the LW planes.  Anyone who doesn't think the plane they fly is 'good enough' can fly something else, don't you think?

Offline Sky Viper

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.no54squad.com
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2001, 09:22:00 AM »

I doubt that it has anything to do with LW aircraft modeling.
Bitter people (like myself) usually just feel like the shaft is always sniffing at your pooper and are tired of feeling it day after day.

Frankly, I don't see why anyone would whine about an LW plane in particular unless they don't see the bigger picture.

My beef lately is this roadkill lag that has followed the new servers.  It' doesn't matter what plane it is, the lag is having a terrible effect on my ability to survive a fight.  And all HTC can say is that the 5ms Host Queue has nothing to do with it.
Fact is, when the Queue was 0, I had no problems.

A fellow named Mage heard many such complaints 2 1/2 years ago from myself and several others.  Many of us got fed up and came to see then new AH beta.  Mage never did listen and now everyone is blaming EA for the AW demise.

Because when they speak, no one listens, but when they get hostile, EVERYONE notices.

Viper

Offline DamnedBuzzard

• Zinc Member
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2001, 09:36:00 AM »
If it wasn't for Trolls these boards would fade into dusty oblivion.

Trolls are the unpaid "agents provocateur" of the flamers who would whither and die without them.

Both are here for my amusement. YMMV.

[ 11-20-2001: Message edited by: DamnedBuzzard ]

Offline Biggles

• Copper Member
      • Muzak
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2001, 12:44:00 PM »
It's the relative anonymity afforded by the web: nobody can see you, they don't know who you really are, and they don't know where you are, so it makes it easy to be ten times more mean and aggressive than you are in real life. Kind of like road rage. Wrap a big vehicle around a weenie and they become a little Napoleon, out to conquer the highways. Not too much different when you give 'em a chat buffer to work with.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2001, 01:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by lazs1:
Yep... I hate hostile people too and...

who's only knowledge of history comes from reading a couple of gushy "I flew for the master race" romance novels.

I have to admire this turn of phrase.

I remember Rod Serling giving a lecture - touching on the Nazi glorification phenomenon of the early 1970s - saying that he wouldn't be surprised to see a Saturday morning cartoon series, "The Merry Men of Auschwitz."

- Oldman

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2001, 02:07:00 PM »
LOL.....i love this game, sometimes the forum is almost more fun than flying.

44MAG

Offline metronom

• Copper Member
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2001, 03:00:00 PM »

Anonimity?
Nobody knows who they in real life are. This is the place to let it out. Here they can say everything what they never would dare to say in public. It's a safety vent maybe. Better this than running arround with a loaded gun.
The topic is of no importance, only the possibility to make a shocking childish statement does count.
Just my 5c

sailor

Offline SereWiz

• Copper Member
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2001, 03:05:00 PM »
I fly german aircrafts (109 G-2) coz I like to fly airplane with Finnish tags and its great feeling to fly airplane that has historical significance that touches me.

I havent played this for long but I have flown other planes too and they just dont have the feeling that 109G2 has.

I think that the history is part of the game
otherwise I could fly Crimson Skies (wich is really fun game actually) and if some1 "knows" a way to improve historical accuracy then I think he should tell that to HiTech@comp and not whine about it when he/she gets shot down.
(havent seen that though)

Call me sickNtwisted but I prefer German planes.

:D   :D

PS. Those flightmodels are fine for me. The 109G2 is not undermodelled in my opinion but is nevertheless a challengin plane to fly and that is part of the magic.
I havent flown anything IRL and I have no idea how 109er flew in the real skies, but if some1 has and knows some flaws
bout this AH-version then he has right to whine. imho  :)

[ 11-20-2001: Message edited by: SereWiz ]

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2001, 03:24:00 PM »
There are some decent LW devotees out there. Santa is not one them.   :D Leather bound pervert that he is.

I just get the impression from many posts on this board and through the game in general that:

a) Modelling of LW aircraft is generally 'off', in a negative way; LW planes should be much better than they currently are.

b) Certain, popular non-LW rides are generally 'off', in a positive way; these planes should be much worse than they currently are.

Then you get the conflicting 'I'm uber because I fly an underdog LW plane, which is actually undermodelled, by the way'. It doesn't make much sense to me.

But persistent, focussed whining by an individual gets my goat. The main symptom of this afflication is usually the inability to post without mentioning a pet hate. It might be hispanos or the La-7 or the Chog for instance.

I'm all for historical accuracy. But some people get obsessed by it, and become very irritating and very dull, very fast.

[ 11-20-2001: Message edited by: Dowding ]
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2001, 03:46:00 PM »
what the heck is aggressively hostile?
that doesnt sound right to me. otoh hysterically funny sounds ok so im not sure if this is correct english?