Author Topic: Fighter Town  (Read 4105 times)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Fighter Town
« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2003, 02:56:14 PM »
NB, it was a reply to Zanth. His opposition to a Fighter Town rationale can and does apply directly to the Tank Town we now have in Trinity.

Apparently, he doesn't see them the same way but they are.

I have no beef with Tank Town. I'm glad some folks got something they enjoy.

All I'm saying is if there's room for a Tank Town, why not a Fighter Town too?

As you point out, the current Tank Town is not immune from Dweebs that want to take aircraft and climb/fly a LONG time to get to Tank Town and hassle the GV's. Note, however, that ALL the aircraft have an ordnance limited ability to knock out GV's. There is no aircraft that carries enough ord to kill anywhere near the number of GV's when compared to an Osty's ability to kill low flying furballing fighters.

So, my suggestion is for a Fighter Town where GV's ARE NOT available. Aircraft are not available in Tank Town, right?

If they want to clank their way in to FT, it should be possible but it should take a comparable length of time when compared to lugging bombs to Tank Town. This still, however, leaves the problem of killing GV's that do clank into FT.

Planes that fly to Tank Town have to face the Osty when things get down and dirty and the Osty clearly has the advantage against planes that have no ord left. Some mechanism would have to be devised so that if FT is to have no ord available, there is still someway to kill GV's from the air with a fair chance of success. And 6 .50's isn't it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Fighter Town
« Reply #76 on: April 14, 2003, 03:15:02 PM »
yep... I don't care for gv's but I think it is great that they have a place in the arena to have fun...  It doesn't do anything for me but it certainlyu doesn't hurt me.... I look at an early war arena of the arena the same way.   How would that hurt anyone who liked the map "the way it is" ? It would be about MORE choice not less... It would be about choice.... viable choice...  those who wanted to get on for an hour or so and go at it would have a place and those who liked to avoid furballs would have a choice... pretty much nothing would change for them except they wouldn't have as many early war planes to cherry pick.
lazs

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
Fighter Town
« Reply #77 on: April 14, 2003, 03:17:04 PM »

NwBie Chucks a rock at NB's head and runs
Wow this is fun  :)
Skuzzy-- "Facts are slowly becoming irrelevant in favor of the nutjob."

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
Fighter Town
« Reply #78 on: April 14, 2003, 03:27:28 PM »
Originally posted by Nwbie

Hey! That hit my roof NwBie. You throw rocks like you shoot? lmao :cool:
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
Fighter Town
« Reply #79 on: April 14, 2003, 03:39:59 PM »
All Right Peelot wound !!!

Turns back for the slow A** pony flopping like a fish   :)

NwBie
Skuzzy-- "Facts are slowly becoming irrelevant in favor of the nutjob."

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Fighter Town
« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2003, 03:43:03 PM »
"nobad... If you designed the arena for "everyone" please tell me what part of the arena is for the furballers? Which areas are for the early war planes.. You may have designed an arena that a lot of folks like but I would question "most". "

lazs,

No need to brow beat the guy ... from reading all the post here, I think NB has got the idea and is currently hog-tied at the moment.

He sounds like he would like to and is going to try to implement your idea, it just that there are a few technical aspects that he can't prevent ... like fields that aren't capturable. Give him a moment to ponder, but bottom line seems like he wants to implement your idea somehow.

BTW .. I think its a GREAT idea .. would love to see this implemented in the MA. I love the idea of being able to jump from missions, to GVs, to furballing all without having to leave the MA.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
Fighter Town
« Reply #81 on: April 14, 2003, 03:45:05 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
nobad... I think you are still missing my point or, I am not making it well...

If you carve out the bottom 1/4 or 1/3 of the map for an early war area it would not be used as a "backdoor"  any more than it would be swamped by late war planes.... it could simply have a 50k mountain range and a couple of sectors seperation.... It would be no more gamey than tank town.

Lazs...

I'm not missing anything. All the fields in the game HAVE to be capturable. This a game design thing, not a map thing. If you don't believe me, check with HT (I just did to assure that I wasn't total fullacrap).

Originally posted by lazs2
nobad... If you designed the arena for "everyone" please tell me what part of the arena is for the furballers?  Which areas are for the early war planes..   You may have designed an arena that a lot of folks like but I would question "most".
lazs

At no time have I said that "most" like Trinity. Here, I will quote for you...
Originally posted by NoBaddy
5. More tankers? Maybe...maybe not. Either way, plenty of people are enjoying it.

Where in that do you see me saying more people like it? I am sure of one thing, the positive comments have far out weighted the negative. I also never said that I designed an arena for everyone. I did say that I designed one with lots to do and that one of the difficulties in map making was trying to satisfy everyone. You seem to have put the two statements together to get the one you want.

Lazs...It just might not be me that has a reading comprehension problem :).

Question to everyone....

As I said, I just spoke to HT. He tells me that I have about 6 fields per country that I could add to Trinity to attempt to improve the field distance problems. It will take a few weeks to do. Should I do so or would I just be wasting my time?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2003, 03:49:37 PM by NoBaddy »
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
Fighter Town
« Reply #82 on: April 14, 2003, 03:51:34 PM »
Originally posted by Nwbie

.squelch NwBie
NoBaddy (NB)

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Fighter Town
« Reply #83 on: April 14, 2003, 03:55:14 PM »
NB,

Take the upper left hand corner of the Trinity map (this area is NEVER used ... except for hiding Cv groups) and make an island that has 50,000 ft walls all around it ... put 3 fields inside the crater, one for each country, and let them have at it.

They can police it themselves as far as what type of planes can be flown (or can you limit that ?).

These fields would be capturable, but what would be the reason to capture one of them? You only need to be knocked down to 1 field left to win/lose the war and why not let it be the one within the Fighter Crater ?

Oh .. and use the other 5 fields per country to eliminate some of the long distances between bases.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2003, 03:57:47 PM by SlapShot »
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
Fighter Town
« Reply #84 on: April 14, 2003, 04:19:07 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
NB, it was a reply to Zanth. His opposition to a Fighter Town rationale can and does apply directly to the Tank Town we now have in Trinity.

I know Toad. It was my, perhaps, lame attempt at levity :). Thought, in actuality, there is a difference. The tankers did not ask for tank town. It was my idea, good or bad.

Originally posted by Toad
All I'm saying is if there's room for a Tank Town, why not a Fighter Town too?

There is...just not in the same map. (looks at cracked and bleeding fingertips...) I will explain. First, let me establish the HTC restrictions. All fields must be capturable. Strat at the fields can not be disabled. So, that means that eventually, the area will be overrun by one country or another. The only place to put it where all countries have a chance to get back in once they are kicked out is in the center of the map. If you put it in the corner, as Lazs suggests, you end up with at least one country having the advantage of relatively nearby fields outside to attack it with. The same thing applies to a tank town. Hence, you can't have both in the center. I can promise this, I will do everything I can to add an "AH style" fighter town to my next terrain. I can keep vehicles out (got some new ideas for the grognards :)). However, this will make it a lot harder to recapture once it is lost. The restrictions to discourage wanks that want to climb in would be similar to tank town...a minimum of 18.5k to enter. I can only RESTRICT access...not block it. This is from HTC...not me :).
NoBaddy (NB)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Fighter Town
« Reply #85 on: April 14, 2003, 04:32:22 PM »
Originally posted by Jackal1
Going to DA has been suggested many times. It always is responded to by saying that there is not enough players that go there. If there were that many players wanting to fly head to head without base capture or GVs, etc. it should be a simple task to get together and meet in DA. The fact is ,as stated many times, the MA is there to include a litle bit of everything for everyone. Maybe it`s the name --->DA<----. Maybe it should be changed to Main Arena For Air To Air or Dogfight Main Arena, or something similar.

Personally I think the DA is far more suited for Fighter Town than the MA for those reasons.  Is it possible to create a Fighter Town map for the DA?

Ack-Ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
Fighter Town
« Reply #86 on: April 14, 2003, 04:51:08 PM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
Personally I think the DA is far more suited for Fighter Town than the MA for those reasons.  Is it possible to create a Fighter Town map for the DA?

Ack-Ack

Yes.
NoBaddy (NB)

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
Fighter Town
« Reply #87 on: April 14, 2003, 05:45:54 PM »
Any chance on adding some more ports in the revised Trinity NB?

**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
Fighter Town
« Reply #88 on: April 14, 2003, 06:00:55 PM »
Originally posted by SirLoin
Any chance on adding some more ports in the revised Trinity NB?

You a mindreader??? :D
NoBaddy (NB)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Fighter Town
« Reply #89 on: April 14, 2003, 06:21:02 PM »
Originally posted by NoBaddy
Yes.

Would it be easier then to create the Fighter Town map to use in the Dueling Arena?  At least in there you won't have to worry about the constrictions in game play like you would have to for the MA.

Ack-Ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song