Author Topic: Activist Declared Brain Dead  (Read 2955 times)

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
Activist Declared Brain Dead
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2003, 07:51:07 AM »
Funked, I cant believe you posted this thing ... I cant believe these kind of things are allowed even in an Off-Topic forum.
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2003, 08:25:59 AM »
I find it interesting he was shot right in the head by a tank...

Offline lord dolf vader

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2003, 08:41:21 AM »
im still wondering how you accidently run over somone with a bulldoser. or conversly let yourself be run over. several years around construction sites with lots of loser drunks/drugies and no one got killed by one. or even close.

they got weelie bars on cats in lsrael?

Offline Nashwan

• Silver Member
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2003, 08:47:11 AM »
However, I would appreciate the source of all of your cut-n-paste quotations if that's convenient? Thanks.

Most of the quotes come from http://domino.un.org/UNISPAL.NSF/561c6ee353d740fb8525607d00581829/d442111e70e417e3802564740045a309!OpenDocument

which is quoting from the speeches made at the sessions.

Ben Gurion's letters and speeches are quoted in a whole rash of books published after the Israeli archives were opened to researchers.

Another site with an interesting perspective is http://www.etzel.org.il/english/

which is a history of Irgun. It's not an impartial site, it was written by a former member, but after reading it you will realise that it was not a case of Jews simply defending themselves, but just as much a war of agression.

I'm not Jewish and have no personal agenda in regards to either side.

I have no connection to either side, and you can guess my nationality from my avatar.

All of what I've read points more to a simple solution of the Palestinians being used by Arab countries as continued pawns for their political needs.

Certainly that's true to some extent, but the real problem is between Israel and the Palestinians, not the surrounding Arab states.

If you'd really want to continue a serious discussion, I'd be happy to furnish references and a phone number, so perhaps we could chat on the phone about it. My private email address is in my profile.

I'm not that much of a fanatic, honest.

I've found that people rarely change their views on this matter. My post was merely to correct some factual innacuracies, like:

At no time did the Jews uproot Arab families from their homes

It didn't work out that way. By most counts, several hundred thousand Arabs were displaced by this war - not by Israeli aggression, not by some Jewish real-estate grab, not by Israeli expansionism.

That's quite clearly not true. Find any source that says Deir Yassin was not attacked, even if you don't believe in the massacre, I haven't seen anyone dispute the village was attacked, the inhabitants removed by force, and the village destroyed.

Hundreds of thousands of Arabs were displaced, mainly by fear of the war, but many were deliberately removed by the Israeli government.

And certainly Israel sought to expand it's borders beyond the areas allocated to it by partition. They launched offensives against several Arab towns, and drove a wedge through Arab territory to Jerusalem, which also wasn't allocated to Israel by partition.

You could also read http://mondediplo.com/1997/12/palestine for a different perspective.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2003, 08:51:52 AM »
How dare we force our Western forms of protest on the middle east!  Are we not suppose to be tolerant of others cultures?  Why,... the peace protester should have strapped a bomb on his body and handled the situation like a true Palestinean.

Offline SaburoS

• Gold Member
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2003, 12:46:03 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
How dare we force our Western forms of protest on the middle east!  Are we not suppose to be tolerant of others cultures?  Why,... the peace protester should have strapped a bomb on his body and handled the situation like a true Palestinean.

If the "peace protester" used violence then he'd no longer be peacefully protesting.
A "true" Palestinian is to suicide bombing what a "true" American is to Bombing Federal Buildings like Tim McVeigh. In both cases they are but a fraction minority consisting of the most radical fringe group.
What percentage of the suicide bombers were Palestinian anyway?
Are the Palestinians occupying Israeli territory or are the Israeli's occupying Palestinian territory?

By all means keep making light the death of another. It's so becoming of you :rolleyes:

I guess it's a cardinal sin to do so only if the views are against yours.
Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death.... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. ... Bertrand Russell

Offline SaburoS

• Gold Member
« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2003, 12:48:04 PM »
Time to act somewhat civil .
With all the tensions in the world today, we need our community to realize that we are an international community.

With that, an understanding must be reached, that the various people from around the world may not agree with any given position voiced in this forum.

We are sensitive to that and make every attempt to allow discussions to run their course. As with anything regarding politics or religion we expect heated debates, but there are boundaries and lately they have been crossed.

I do not care if you are never a customer of mine again, there are some things that are not debatable. Laughing at the death of any human being is not acceptable behavior. Anything that crosses over the line of basic decency will not be tolerated. If you have to ask what that means, then you should not be posting in this forum, at this time.

We purposely let behavior be much more slack in the O'Club than any other place on this board, but it is time to bring it up a level gentlemen.

Dale Addink

Enough said.
Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death.... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. ... Bertrand Russell

Offline Badger

• Copper Member
      • Military Surplus Collectors Forums
« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2003, 02:38:55 PM »
Originally posted by Nashwan
I'm not that much of a fanatic, honest. I've found that people rarely change their views on this matter. My post was merely to correct some factual innacuracies, like:

Unfortunately, these links don't correct any factual inaccuracies, but I think you already knew that. :D

I've seen all of the sites and material you linked to before and unfortunately, to post a bunch more that hold opposing opinions just creates an endless circle jerk.  They just do what so many board posts on most subjects do, which is to post a lot of opinions that are someone else's. ;)

Proof is in the eye of the beholder and objective sources are the key to making up one's own mind.  After reading your links, I do understand why you don't want to discuss it outside of here, but I leave the offer open anytime you'd like.

Thanks for the feedback....

Regards,
Badger

Offline Nashwan

• Silver Member
« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2003, 03:11:44 PM »
Unfortunately, these links don't correct any factual inaccuracies

Most of the links don't, and I never claimed they did. They do presnet an alternative to the story that the Jews wanted to live in peace in a small part of Palestine.

The factual innacuracy that I wanted to correct was

Do you still stand by that? I didn't think you wanted to, so I didn't present many sources contradicting it, but I can if you like.

Mondediplo at least contradicts it, and I haven't seen any serious sources claiming there weren't at least some cases of expulsion of Arabs. Again, if you want to deny that happened, I can get you more sources.

Offline Hortlund

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2003, 03:46:09 PM »
oh man...now Nashwan goes off into another posting spree.

Dammit we have been over this topic dozens of times already nash, I have disproved 90% of your BS before, cant you just drop it? Do we have to go through this time and time again?

Offline Badger

• Copper Member
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2003, 03:50:06 PM »
Mondediplo at least contradicts it, and I haven't seen any serious sources claiming there weren't at least some cases of expulsion of Arabs. Again, if you want to deny that happened, I can get you more sources.

Are you referring to Le Monde diplomatique, originally published in French as the source of your proof?  :D

Again my friend, you're missing the point of what I was trying to say.  It's now obvious to me that it's important for you to post here, linking sources that are just opinions.  So, here's some opinions that are from the Arabs themselves. ;)

Joseph Farah, an Arab Christian wrote an article in which he quoted Arabs from the time period during which the brutal Israeli expulsions supposedly happened (The World's Collective Amnesia worldnetdaily.com 9/19/02)

"The fact that there are these refugees is the direct consequence of the act of the Arab states in opposing partition and the Jewish state. The Arab states agree upon this policy unanimously and they must share in the solution of the problem."
– Emile Ghoury, secretary of the Palestinian Arab Higher Committee, in an interview with the Beirut Telegraph Sept. 6, 1948.

"The Arab state which had encouraged the Palestine Arabs to leave their homes temporarily in order to be out of the way of the Arab invasion armies, have failed to keep their promise to help these refugees."
– The Jordanian daily newspaper Falastin, Feb. 19, 1949.

"Who brought the Palestinians to Lebanon as refugees, suffering now from the malign attitude of newspapers and communal leaders, who have neither honor nor conscience? Who brought them over in dire straits and penniless, after they lost their honor? The Arab states, and Lebanon amongst them, did it."
– The Beirut Muslim weekly Kul-Shay, Aug. 19, 1951.

"The 15th May, 1948, arrived ... On that day the mufti of Jerusalem appealed to the Arabs of Palestine to leave the country, because the Arab armies were about to enter and fight in their stead."
– The Cairo daily Akhbar el Yom, Oct. 12, 1963.

"For the flight and fall of the other villages it is our leaders who are responsible because of their dissemination of rumors exaggerating Jewish crimes and describing them as atrocities in order to inflame the Arabs ... By spreading rumors of Jewish atrocities, killings of women and children etc., they instilled fear and terror in the hearts of the Arabs in Palestine, until they fled leaving their homes and properties to the enemy."
– The Jordanian daily newspaper Al Urdun, April 9, 1953.

"I could go on and on and on with this forgotten – or deliberately obscured – history. But you get the point. There was no Jewish conspiracy to chase Arabs out of their homes in 1948. It never happened. There are, instead, plenty of historical records showing the Jews pleading with their Arab neighbors to stay and live in peace and harmony. Yet, despite the clear, unambiguous words of the Arab observers at the time, history has been successfully rewritten to turn the Jews into the bad guys.

The truth is that 68 percent of the Arab Palestinians who left in 1948 – perhaps 300,000 to 400,000 of them – never saw an Israeli soldier. Even more importantly, the revised history has given the guilty a free ride. The Arab states that initiated the hostilities have never accepted responsibility – despite their enormous wealth and their ability to assimilate tens of millions of refugees in their largely under-populated nations. And other states have failed to hold them accountable.

It's bad enough the Arab states created a small nation of refugees by their actions. It's worse that they have successfully blamed that international crime on the Jews. Today, of course, this cruel charade continues. The suffering of millions of Arabs is perpetuated only for political purposes by the Arab states.

They are merely pawns in the war to destroy Israel. There were some 100 million refugees around the world following World War II. The Palestinian Arab group is the only one in the world not absorbed or integrated into their own people's lands. Since then, millions of Jewish refugees from around the world have been absorbed in the tiny nation of Israel.

It makes no sense to expect that same tiny Jewish state to solve a refugee crisis it did not create."
[/b]

Nashwan... see how easy it is? ;)

Anyway, I'm done... no cut-n-pastes from the Internet will ever make anyone's point, yours or mine.  I reiterate... the key is to do lots of studying, not some quick "googling", then make up one's own mind.  After 40 years of reading source material from both sides, I have made up my mind based upon the preponderance of logic and fact.

Regards,
Badger

Offline Nashwan

• Silver Member
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2003, 04:37:46 PM »
Are you referring to Le Monde diplomatique, originally published in French as the source of your proof?

Of course not. The article is a review of various sources, all listed in the footnotes.

Again my friend, you're missing the point of what I was trying to say. It's now obvious to me that it's important for you to post here, linking sources that are just opinions.

Actually I never start any of these topics. It's when I see statements like

that I chime in. If lies like that get posted enough, then sooner or later people will start to believe them.

Nashwan... see how easy it is?

Of course it is, you can find quotes for almost anything. You still haven't been able to find any that say Deir Yassin wasn't ethnically cleansed, though, have you?

I msut say though, that if your case rests on opinion pieces from Arab newspapers of the 40s and 50s, I'd prefer to read some of the history written since the Israeli archives were opened. Benny Morris and Simha Falpan at least base their work on historical documents, even if it is then coloured by opinion.

Dammit we have been over this topic dozens of times already nash, I have disproved 90% of your BS before, cant you just drop it? Do we have to go through this time and time again?

Was that in the thread where you claimed great knowledge of international law, then denied the existence of the Fourth Geneva Convention?

Offline Hortlund

• Platinum Member
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2003, 04:50:39 PM »
Was that in the thread where you claimed great knowledge of international law, then denied the existence of the Fourth Geneva Convention?

Take your pick moron.

http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52417

http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57032

http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54021

http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51678
« Last Edit: April 13, 2003, 04:55:53 PM by Hortlund »

Offline Badger

• Copper Member
« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2003, 04:51:51 PM »

I have no idea what you're rambling about, but after reading your last post .....  I'm more convinced that you don't either. ;)

It's unfortunate you use your time and obvious intellect so superficially, simply using Internet cut-n-paste sound bites and failing to dig deeper to really learn the subject material.  I guess it's just too easy to dismiss a lot of posts by actual Arabs from a time frame closer to the event itself, then to spend hundreds of hours reading the material yourself, or simply say nothing if you really don't know.

Regards,
Badger

Offline Nashwan

• Silver Member
« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2003, 05:13:43 PM »
I have no idea what you're rambling about, but after reading your last post ..... I'm more convinced that you don't either

That was addressed to Hortlund. I quoted article 49 of the fourth geneva convention, which orginisations like the Red Cross, UN, EU, UK and US governments agree applies to Israeli settlements in the territories.

Hortlund, after lecturing extensively on his knowledge of the law, came up with:

Oh, you can trust whoever you want, I still dont think you should trust the internet as a source for complicated legal issues though. You know, I was wrong regarding the Geneva convention (they do not cover occupation at all), I really should have looked it up before posting.

Riddle me this:

What exactly is "the fourth Geneva convention"?

There are five conventions and protocols related to Geneva, they are (in chronological order):
Amelioration of the condition of the wounded on the field of battle
-from 1864
Geneva protocol for the prohibition of the use in war of asphyxiating gas, and for bacteriological methods of warfare
-from 1928
Convention between the United States of America and other powers, relating to prisoners of war
-from 1929
Geneva convention relative to the treatment of prisoners of war
-from 1949
Convention on the prohibition of the development, production and stockpiling of bacteriological and toxin weapons and their destruction
-from 1975

Of these five, two have more than 49 articles.

From the 1929 convention:
Art 49
No prisoner of war may be deprived of his rank by the detaining Power.
Prisoners given disciplinary punishment may not be deprived of the prerogatives attached to their rank. In particular, officers and persons of equivalent status who suffer punishment involving deprivation of liberty shall not be placed in. the same quarters as noncommissioned officers or privates being punished.

From the 1949 convention:
The Detaining Power may utilize the labour of prisoners of war who are physically fit, taking into account their age, sex, rank and physical aptitude, and with a view particularly to maintaining them in a good state of physical and mental health.
Non-commissioned officers who are prisoners of war shall only be required to do supervisory work. Those not so required may ask for other suitable work which shall, so far as possible, be found for them.
If officers or persons of equivalent status ask for suitable work, it shall be found for them, so far as possible, but they may in no circumstances be compelled to work.

Where is your famous article 49:
"The Occupying Power shall not deport or transfer parts of its own civilian population into the territory it occupies." ?

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ ON THE INTERNET.

For some reason, he entirely missed the fact that the fourth convention of 1949 had four parts, article 49 of part 4 says:

"Art. 49. Individual or mass forcible transfers, as well as deportations of protected persons from occupied territory to the territory of the Occupying Power or to that of any other country, occupied or not, are prohibited, regardless of their motive.

Nevertheless, the Occupying Power may undertake total or partial evacuation of a given area if the security of the population or imperative military reasons so demand. Such evacuations may not involve the displacement of protected persons outside the bounds of the occupied territory except when for material reasons it is impossible to avoid such displacement. Persons thus evacuated shall be transferred back to their homes as soon as hostilities in the area in question have ceased.

The Occupying Power undertaking such transfers or evacuations shall ensure, to the greatest practicable extent, that proper accommodation is provided to receive the protected persons, that the removals are effected in satisfactory conditions of hygiene, health, safety and nutrition, and that members of the same family are not separated.

The Protecting Power shall be informed of any transfers and evacuations as soon as they have taken place.

The Occupying Power shall not detain protected persons in an area particularly exposed to the dangers of war unless the security of the population or imperative military reasons so demand.

The Occupying Power shall not deport or transfer parts of its own civilian population into the territory it occupies."

I guess it's just too easy to dismiss a lot of posts by actual Arabs from a time frame closer to the event itself, then to spend hundreds of hours reading the material yourself, or simply say nothing if you really don't know.

Or to ignore the published diaries of the Israeli leaders at the time. Read what Menachem Begin had to say about partition at the time, or what Ben Gurion had said about partition throughout the 30s.

There was a sizeable part of the Israeli leadership that regarded partition as just another step towards an Israeli state in the whole of Palestine.