Author Topic: Why I want the Jug in AH  (Read 777 times)

Offline Soup Nazi

• Zinc Member
Why I want the Jug in AH
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2000, 08:36:00 AM »

Originally posted by Daff:
Vermillion,

First, I think that modelling the F4U-1C was just silly..I would have thought they had learned that lesson    .As for the Macchi's, it was an easy way of grabbing a stack of the italian players from WB, the N12K, heck I dont know, maybe to have a reasonable competetive Japanese Aircraft?.<snip>
Daff

How many times are you going to repeat this Daff?  You seem alittle obsessed with it. You really think that HTC went out of their way to design A/C to suck the competition away from WB's, don't you?  What's in the water over there in the UK?

No soup for you!

[This message has been edited by Soup Nazi (edited 06-20-2000).]

funked

Why I want the Jug in AH
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2000, 08:36:00 AM »
Fine with me Juzz.  Put in a point-multiplier (based on aircraft usage statistics) to create incentives to fly the less popular (and likely less capable) planes.

Offline Gorf

• Copper Member
Why I want the Jug in AH
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2000, 10:55:00 AM »
Vermillion,

Getting back with you on the P47N to get the last kill of the war.  Here is the info on the pilot and his plane, he did not get the last air kill but was part of the FS that did, he was the last fighter ace of WWII.

The P-47N-1 was flown by Lt. Oscar Perdomo
Lil Meaties’ MEAT CHOPPER was the name of the plane.
464th FS/507th FG, le Shima, August 1945

“Lt. Perdomo arrived with the 507th on le Shima in June 1945, and flew his first mission on 2 July.  There was little chance for the 507th to meet the Japanese in the air, especially after the atomic bombings, but on 13 August 38 507th P-47Ns encountered 50 Japanese aircraft over the Korean capital, and the chase began.  In the subsequent melee, Oscar Perdomo downed five aircraft in this P-47N, thus making him the last known fighter ace of World War2..”

SOURCE: cc Mustang and Thunderbolt Aces of the Pacific and CBI, Osprey Aircraft of the Aces Volume 26

Below is a scanned image of his P47N.
ENJOY
PS having problems getting a image to shop up HELP?  anyway go to link below to see his plane.

GORF http://www.geocities.com/sangfugal/p47/Perdlrg.JPG
 http://www.geocities.com/sangfugal/p47/Perdlrg.JPG"">

[This message has been edited by Gorf (edited 06-20-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Gorf (edited 06-20-2000).]

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
Why I want the Jug in AH
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2000, 11:09:00 AM »
That would only work on those people who actually care about their score. The vast majority would still be found flying the 1945 stuff.

funked

Why I want the Jug in AH
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2000, 01:22:00 PM »
I'd rather have a complete 1945 plane set than a set with only a couple of planes from each era.

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
Why I want the Jug in AH
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2000, 01:37:00 PM »
But what we have now is an incomplete 1944 set...

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Why I want the Jug in AH
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2000, 01:40:00 PM »
Right now we've got a 1944 planeset.  Why advance it to 1945?  There are many aircraft that can be added while remaining in the '44 time frame.  The P-47D-30, the J3M2 Raiden "Jack", the Fw190D-9, the Spitfire MkXIV and the Tupolev Tu-2S are all 1944 aircraft.  There is no need to start adding things like the Spitfire Mk F.21, Ta152H or P-47N.

Sisu
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Why I want the Jug in AH
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2000, 01:44:00 PM »
Thanks Gorf!

-Westy

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Why I want the Jug in AH
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2000, 02:41:00 PM »
Sorrow and others:

Of course, I don't expect an AH version of the Jug to take 20 cannon shells.  I was just posting an interesting story, though I'm sure we've all heard versions of it before.  There is some interesting stuff in the interview portion as well.  Looking at the rest of the story, it does appear as though 2 cannon shells is the number.  One outside the cockpit, and one in the tail, however I was just copying from the article.

I think the current F4U is likely close to how tough the 47 is likely to be, and it's fine IMHO.

I knew that quote would stir the pot, LOL.    How does that hook feel lodged in the corner of your mouth gents?  

------------------
Lephturn - Chief Trainer
A member of The Flying Pigs
Visit Lephturn's Aerodrome for AH news, resources, and training data.
 http://users.andara.com/~sconrad/

"MY P-47 is a pretty good ship
And she took a round coming 'cross the Channel last trip
I was thinking 'bout my baby and lettin' her rip
Always got me through so far
Well they can ship me all over this great big world
But I'll never find nothing like my North End girl
I'm taking her home with me one day, sir
Soon as we win this war"
 - Steve Earl

Offline SnakeEyes

• Zinc Member
Why I want the Jug in AH
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2000, 09:27:00 AM »
Karnak, I'd be willing to bet that as many 47N's flew combat operational sorties in the Pacific as the total number of Doras built.

I've never heard that the N was sent to the ETO, but Daff could probably comment more authoritatively on that.  They certainly didn't go to the 8th AF, as the 8th only have one FG using the P47 at that time.  Having said that, I do know that approximately 160 P47Ms found their way to the ETO and that they *did* fly combat there with the 56th FG (which was the only 8th AF P47 group).

------------------
SnakeEyes
o-o-o-
=4th Fighter Group=

Offline Daff

• Copper Member
Why I want the Jug in AH
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2000, 09:34:00 AM »
No N's were used in the ETO, although I do believe a few FG's trained on them after VE-day.
All P-47M's produced went to the 56th FG (All 130 of them, not 160 :P). The 56th received them in Dec '44 and started operational flying in Jan '45. The M's scored a fair amount of kills, although the exact number is hard to find out, as the 56th for a while used both D's and M's on the same mission. I do know of at least 4 Me262's being shot down by M's.

Daff

------------------
CO, 56th Fighter Group
"This is Yardstick. Follow me"